Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Skegg's circa 2001 or earlier

Rode the North leaf / South leaf trails today and have not been on it since 2001 and forgot how fun it was.

Seem to remember where that virginia mill bridge / creek crossing, the part where it starts to get really steep. There used to be no bridge and you had to actually ride the water, and climb up the super steep section.
    Anyone remember this or am i smoking crack?
    Last edited by randomroot; 10-09-2011 at 01:17 AM.

formerly Gobike69
    Your memory is correct. It was a good day if you could clear the creek crossing and the climb on the other side
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

mtbr member
    Close by there was another alternative. the Ariel tree, had to walk across a huge redwood tree across the creek, pretty darn high, a fall would not have been fun!

Remember this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skegg's circa 2001 or earlier-914.jpg  

Last edited by TahoeBC; 10-09-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ah the good old days!

mtbr member
    Did we call that 914 or something like that? I remember that climb being short and very steep, yes cleaning it was a chore.
    Another Tallboy convert!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the confirm, was trying to find that section of the trail. The creek crossing looked familiar...

hey since were talkin old days, first time i was at Skeggs(must have been about 93-94) they had some man made log jumps on Giant salamander no?

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by DCTILLER View Post
    Did we call that 914 or something like that? I remember that climb being short and very steep, yes cleaning it was a chore.
    Yes we did because the Porsche was a 914.
    And I remember going the other way up that trail right?
    Also remember getting ready go in from the "North" side of the park and seeing Neil Young often drive by, with one of his vintage cars, on his way out of the farm, give us the nod, and would say have fun.
    Way cool!
    That's when skaggs rocked.
    1984-85
    shoot, now I feel old.
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    Yes we did because the Porsche was a 914.
    And I remember going the other way up that trail right?
    Also remember getting ready go in from the "North" side of the park and seeing Neil Young often drive by, with one of his vintage cars, on his way out of the farm, give us the nod, and would say have fun.
    Way cool!
    That's when skaggs rocked.
    1984-85
    shoot, now I feel old.
    Haha that is pretty cool Neil Young being up there back then

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yes, Salamander trail was steep and rutty at the top and the section after the little foot bridge had a log drop, broke the internals on an old rock shox on that thing. The drop would be nothing on todays bikes.

mtbr member
    While we have some Skeggs "old-timers" here, who remembers the time when that land was used by motocross bikers and what can anyone tell us about the back story of that one?
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

Big Gooner
    Dec 2010
    I rode motos there starting around 1979 it was called the PITS Property back then. We would "patrol" all the trails, it was big fun while it lasted but like so many places I rode in my younger days they are all gone now. I enjoy riding my MTB there I'm glad its not closed like so many other places. Enjoy it while you can NOTHING lasts forever!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biggooner View Post
    I rode motos there starting around 1979 it was called the PITS Property back then. We would "patrol" all the trails, it was big fun while it lasted but like so many places I rode in my younger days they are all gone now.
    Interesting. Thanks. And do you know what "PITS" stands for?

By the way, I was given the impression that the motocross days were back when it was still private property. Any idea what the exact arrangement was back then?
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Grew up on skyline and rode Pits and Purissima heavy for a few years, 77-80 on my CR250. Pits was crazy radical back then when Alan Hoskins was logging his land, not groomed like now. Pretty much anything went back then as it was basically a private riding park, but of course could not be a motorcycle park in the eyes of San Mateo County, hence the riders that paid Hoskins to "patrol" his property, that was one of Hoskin's scams...Of course being local, we didn't pay (my one friend worked off and on for Hoskins and sometimes also scored coke for him so we were golden). Sometimes some of the PITS members would actually get serious about chasing us out, lol.......like they were really patrolling???........At that time San Mateo County Sheriff Dept didn't have any offroad bikes and their helicopter wasn't very effective in chasing us out of the canyons. It really was pretty out of control and being 17 / 18 with smoking bikes, thousands of acres of trails to ourselves made for great times, especially in the winter in the mud. But like all good things, it came to and end and those days are LONG gone........Hoskins died last year.........Don't know for sure why it was called PITS (I always thought it was call that as Hoskin would sometimes refer to the western part of his property as a "pit" (or blah blah "down in the pit"). I do sometimes ride there now, and it is truly such beautiful property , but......

Big Gooner
    Dec 2010
    PITS = Pacific International Trials Society. It was the Bay Area Chapter of the Trials club who "leased" the property from Hoskins. The Sacramento PITS club is still active putting on Trials Bike events in NorCal. Back in the 70's the members had a golden opportunity to buy the property from Hoskins but blew it squabbling over $$$$. I learned to ride at places like Purissuma Canyon, Bear Gulch, Alpine Rd & the PITS property so its pretty cool to return to the trails of my youth.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Close by there was another alternative. the Ariel tree, had to walk across a huge redwood tree across the creek, pretty darn high, a fall would not have been fun!

Remember this
    Someone actually has a picture of the old 914. Awesome!

fc

mtbr member
    my dad rode there in the early 70s. had friends that lived at the top of Swett road. i think the dad had something to do with the fire dept. he had a honda scrambler 305, then moved on to the yamaha enduro bikes. that was a day or two ago. around 98 or so when i had been riding there for close to ten years, i found out that the guy who had made the original map was one of the guys my dad had ridden with. small world. good times. place still rocks. just kicks my ass way more than it used to.
    Another Tallboy convert!!!

mtbr member
    I love the stories. Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DCTILLER View Post
    that was a day or two ago. around 98 or so when i had been riding there for close to ten years, i found out that the guy who had made the original map was one of the guys my dad had ridden with.
    That's interesting. Is there an "original" map of those trails? Does anyone still have a copy, and would it be too much to ask to post it here?

mtbr member
    Here is the old Fractal Boy map. I had a copy of this at one point I had marked up with all the trails not on this. In it's golden days there really was no better place to ride in the bay area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skegg's circa 2001 or earlier-ecdm_web.jpg  

Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

swag ho Administrator
    A long time ago, I rode with Fractalboy and Finlayson (who built this website MTB.LIVE555.COM - "The Internet's Mountain Bike Park").

It was a few months after I built mtbr and we all wanted to connect. We rode like programmers

fc

mtbr member
    Here is the old Fractal Boy map.
    Much appreciated!

middle ring single track

Trials bikes...

My dad got out there a couple of times on his motorcycle while PITS had the lease; I remember you had to be a PITS member or have an invitation to ride there. I will always regret not joining him on one of his rides there---he dissuaded me in going because he didn't think the "trials" style trails would interest me much. Motocross bikes were in the early stages of invention, most of us then rode what might be called "enduro" bikes today. Motorcycle "trials bikes" were then and still are very specialized machines. It's interesting that mountain bike development parallels that of dirt moto's.

Going back even further, here's a pix of my dad riding his Harley at a hillclimb event elsewhere off Skyline Blvd in San Mateo County sometime in 1946---does anybody know where these events were held? I never bothered asking him exactly where this was before he passed away (in 2007 at the age of 90!):
    Photobucket

A couple of more action shots; events at a ranch in the Almaden Valley and somewhere near Richmond; I'm not sure which are which:
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sweet memories! Started riding there in '91. Saw Neil Young drive by on Star Hill road a few times, sometimes him in that cream colored Merc, sometimes the tour bus. Was serenaded by him one time; his band was practicing while I was riding off Virginia Mill. Some guys were afraid to cross the Aerial Tree & preferred to shimmy down on their butts next to the tree. Rode thru the 914 many times. Loved all the old trails we could still ride before the closures began in the mid '90s. Tho not a PITS member I rode there on mt bikes with many of them, learned about trails that I hadn't found on my own. Tho much different these days, still one of the best places to ride on the planet.
    just ridin' em now

It's the axle

Remember this
    OMG! Isn't that the 914? I did Skeggs around 1990, and I think even in the 80's. I've been trying to piece together my memories, and I swore I was imagining I saw a 914. Now I know it was real.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

banned

What Once Was Is No Longer

But a few memories may still exist.

Nose Break, Torco, Three Rags, Drano, Skidrow, 914, Heavens Gate, Library, Parachute, Devil's Staircase, Totem, Garbage, Camero, Private Property, Boiler, Rick's Downfall, Wasabi, Jersey Shred, Pipeline, Singallee (Sp?), Hippie, Fenceline, Thunderdome, Aerial Tree, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Pits

Quote Originally Posted by biggooner View Post
    PITS = Pacific International Trials Society. It was the Bay Area Chapter of the Trials club who "leased" the property from Hoskins. The Sacramento PITS club is still active putting on Trials Bike events in NorCal. Back in the 70's the members had a golden opportunity to buy the property from Hoskins but blew it squabbling over $$$$. I learned to ride at places like Purissuma Canyon, Bear Gulch, Alpine Rd & the PITS property so its pretty cool to return to the trails of my youth.
    I never knew that PITS was part of a larger organization, just though of it being some sort of local group of riders. Never knew that they were trying to purchase the property from Hoskins, thanks for the info...filling in a few pieces of ancient history.......Actually at the time don't remember even wondering or thinking about who or what PITS was ,we pretty much avoided them and their hassling, we were just out there young and stupid and cranking it. Never rode Bear Gulch, a few times top part of Huddard park, but even then that was a bust....Hill climb at Alpine, few times and haven't even thought about that for years.....Also rode a few times into Butano Canyon and Gazos Creek but PITS and Purissuma were closest to home and rode there the most and have the best memories from there, like you said, great places to learn to ride.........Looking back I can hardly believe how fortunate we were to grow up having that available to us...it was pure fun and maybe a bit illegal, but we never even got in any kind of trouble at all.........amazing.........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast