A Gentleman and a MTBR'

Single speeder moving to San Francisco

I'm moving to San Francisco from Sacramento next week and hoping to ride my mountain bike more while I'm there. I'm going to be living near the Presidio on 17th ave so I know there is some off road potential there. I don't drive so I'm looking for mainly bike/PT accessible rides. If anyone wants to ride, I ride a redline monocog flight and I'd say I'm a fast intermediate rider. I'm also interested in bike touring and have a bike set up for that as well, I've done one overnight trip to lake Berryessa from Sacramento.

mtbr member
    from the presidio, its easy to cross the GGB and ride the headlands. Mostly fireroads.

There's a little bit of stuff on Mt. Sutro and GG Park.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Headland, (Marin Headland) is your ticket to some of the more epic rides around your area.

Headland itself is pretty tame, but it links up to Marin, which despite most singletrack being closed, can still have tons of good epic rides to offer.

Or head down to Skeggs for some good singletrack near you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There's some good stuff in the east bay too, accessible by BART. I've frequented Joaquin Miller Park a bunch, one of the few places where they're cool about bikes on singletrack.

mtbr member
    Depending on where on 17th you are you will also be close to Gordo's, one of SF's most consistent taqueria's!

I live about 10 blocks East of 17th and ride a SS from my spot into the Headlands (and beyond) all the time. You can literally ride forever on dirt from headlands. PM me if you want to get out. We ride from the apartment at night over the bridge pretty often as well.

There is stuff to mess around on in the Presidio too if you want a quick spin but it's limited.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

Singletrack Googler
    I recently moved to the area as well (Cole Valley) and have found the most fun single track (outside of real rides found in the East Bay, Pacifica, Santa Cruz, and Marin) to be in my backyard of Mount Sutro. I access the trails via Edgewood Ave and connect the Sutro trails to Twin Peaks and loop back around to bomb down the western ridge of Sutro to finish where I started at Edgewood Ave. The ride can be done in about 30-40 minutes, but it's great for a quick before or after work ride. It's also fun to connect this loop to the trails in Golden Gate and finish at the Beach for a beer. Hit me up if you want to ride it day or night.

Singletrack Googler
    I recently moved to the area as well (Cole Valley) and have found the most fun single track (outside of real rides found in the East Bay, Pacifica, Santa Cruz, and Marin) to be in my backyard of Mount Sutro. I access the trails via Edgewood Ave and connect the Sutro trails to Twin Peaks and loop back around to bomb down the western ridge of Sutro to finish where I started at Edgewood Ave. The ride can be done in about 30-40 minutes, but it's great for a quick before or after work ride. It's also fun to connect this loop to the trails in Golden Gate and finish at the Beach for a beer. Hit me up if you want to ride it day or night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    there's a couple of threads here with more info:
    San Francisco ride passion
    New to SF: Where to take the Mojo?

just another bleepin SSer
    CalTrain can get you down to Belmont Station where you can easily ride to Waterdog lake. Maps and suggested routes are at http://passiontrailbikes.com/pages/waterdog.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a.masonbrink View Post
    Have you ever extended your ride over to Mt Davidson? You can go up and over twin peaks and find the trail head behind the Mollie Stones on Juanita between Rex and Marne.