• 10-29-2011
    plantguy
    Sierra Vista OSP and Falls Road
    As many of you know Santa Clara County Open Space Authority has opened several new areas above Alum Rock Park. This new area of Sierra Vista OSP has some very nice views and offers a few challenging climbs. We are very proud of the work we have done to get these areas open for public access.

    However, the only section of Alum Rock Falls Road that OSA has access to is the short half mile section between Furtado and Moore properties. That is the paved section between gates SV06 and SV07. At this time we do not have legal access to the rest of this paved road and we do not maintain or allow the use of this road to our trial users.

    I have talked with the City Rangers and their stance is zero tolerance to anyone but the few folks that live on the Falls Road and if they find trespassers on this section of Road they will be cited.

    We ask that the users of Sierra Vista OSP please respect the privacy of the people that live in the area and obey all regulations while on the trail system in this beautiful preserve.

    If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or our office.

    Thank You
    David Tharp
    Resource Open Space Technician
    dtharp@openspaceauthority.org
    408-224-7476
  • 10-29-2011
    HarryCallahan
    Just a thought: maybe along with the standard "no trespassing" type signs, the open space district might post a sign briefly explaining what you just said about it being a private road. I know there are similar private roads in one or more of the MROSD preserves, and I recall seeing a sign, at Long Ridge I think, telling folks to not use the paved road.
  • 10-30-2011
    hairylegs
    Sierra Vista is great!
    As much *****ing as we do on this list about limited trail access in California, you'd think there would be a party thrown every time new singletrack opens in our backyard. But I haven't heard a peep about Sierra Vista. Six and half miles of trail all open to bikes, including the connector trail which is open to bikers and hikers but... NO HORSES! How did this happen? Who do we need to thank?

    I have always used the Alum Rock~Boccardo climb as a singlespeed sufferfest, but I was glad to have the 2x10 transmission today. The connector trail is the only true singletrack and it suffers from a few trail design problems as well as the typical new trail problems. But it's got some nice exposure and in a couple years it could become pretty technical (thanks to bad hydrology in a couple places and rocky soil). With the SW exposure, it will probably dry out sooner than ST or other South Bay options in the Winter.

    I ran out of time and couldn't ride to the vista, but I'm looking forward to it next time. To me, this elevates Alum Rock from a "Better Than Nothing" ride to a "Way Better Than Nothing & a Good Workout" ride. It's not Demo, it's not Santa Cruz, but it's new it's fun and it's legal. We should take full advantage of it.

    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...0-30153648.jpg

    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ierraVista.jpg
  • 10-30-2011
    bigpete61
    I started a thread a few weeks back on this trail system. We know it's there and are enjoying it. Lot's of props to Santa Clara County and their efforts to create more multi-use trails.
  • 10-31-2011
    plantguy
    3 Attachment(s)
    Thanks for your comments.

    Here are a couple of images of the construction of the new section. We realize it is going to take some time and effort to keep this trail in good condition.

    I also want to point out we are not Santa Clara County Parks. We are a separate special district and the Santa Clara County in our name designates our location. DT

    Santa Clara County Open Space Authority | Home
  • 10-31-2011
    pmarshall
    DT, you guys have always been super cool when I have run into you. I talked to Patrick once and even thought about working for the OSA. Thanks for making these trails and keep up the good work!

    Paul
  • 10-31-2011
    ukbloke
    Wow, that is some extreme trail building! Hats off to the guy in the Caterpillar. Thanks for building this trail and opening it up to mountain bikes.
  • 10-31-2011
    Diesel~
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by plantguy View Post
    As many of you know Santa Clara County Open Space Authority has opened several new areas above Alum Rock Park. This new area of Sierra Vista OSP has some very nice views and offers a few challenging climbs. We are very proud of the work we have done to get these areas open for public access.

    However, the only section of Alum Rock Falls Road that OSA has access to is the short half mile section between Furtado and Moore properties. That is the paved section between gates SV06 and SV07. At this time we do not have legal access to the rest of this paved road and we do not maintain or allow the use of this road to our trial users.

    I have talked with the City Rangers and their stance is zero tolerance to anyone but the few folks that live on the Falls Road and if they find trespassers on this section of Road they will be sited.

    We ask that the users of Sierra Vista OSP please respect the privacy of the people that live in the area and obey all regulations while on the trail system in this beautiful preserve...

    This is a really important point. It is pretty amazing that the OSA was able to negotiate an easement on this stretch of road. It has been locked down (figuratively speaking) tight since I was a little kid, and we don't want to do anything to jeopardize its use or the link that it provides to the trails on the south side of the road. Photo below of the current signage.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hairylegs View Post
    As much *****ing as we do on this list about limited trail access in California, you'd think there would be a party thrown every time new singletrack opens in our backyard. But I haven't heard a peep about Sierra Vista....

    Here's a link to the original post; thanks to Pete for starting.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by plantguy View Post
    Thanks for your comments.

    Here are a couple of images of the construction of the new section...

    Awesome photos. They don't do justice to the penalty for the CAT rolling over the edge.

    Keep up the good work out there.

    -D
  • 10-31-2011
    Axe
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post

    Awesome photos. They don't do justice to the penalty for the CAT rolling over the edge.

    -D

    Still have not made it there, but looking at this picture, I am not taking beginners or kids there. Looks pretty exposed. Good.
  • 11-12-2011
    imtnbke
    It's actually SCCOSA
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bigpete61 View Post
    I started a thread a few weeks back on this trail system. We know it's there and are enjoying it. Lots of props to Santa Clara County and their efforts to create more multiuse trails.

    Actually, the agency that developed the Boccardo extension is the same one that created Boccardo. It's not Santa Clara County Parks, but the Santa Clara County Open Space Authority, Santa Clara County Open Space Authority | Home. SCCOSA also runs the deservedly popular Rancho Cañada del Oro Open Space Preserve south of San Jose. I don't mean to take away anything from Santa Clara County Parks, however. It is likely to soon open Calero County Park to multiuse, which will be very nice.
  • 11-13-2011
    CheapWhine
    Why is the road private?
    I rode the new trails the day after they were opened and we had a good time. We chatted with one of the SCCOSA rangers a couple times and he was a good guy glad to see the mountain bikers (and everyone else) enjoying the new trails.

    I was very surprised to see so many county paddle markers on a private road. You know, those white markers on the side of the road with the county abbreviation and mileage notation on them. Emergency services and others use these to identify the location of a incident. I have no idea why county signs would be on a private road. These were not new signs associated with the new trail but had clearly been there for years.

    A bit of poking around indicates there is a 97 foot bridge across the creek that was built in 1922 and refurbished in 1975. Was this done at the expense of the landowners?

    If the road has been maintained by the county, it should be opened for everyone.
  • 01-17-2013
    Axe
    Digging out an old thread, after suffering from climbing to there on a SS today. And started too late to make it all the way out...

    Any parking option on Sierra road is some reasonable proximity to the entrance?

    And, indeed, why the heck is that road private. At least for bikes and hiking.
  • 01-17-2013
    imtnbke
    I don't know of any nearby parking. Someday there may be parking at the Sierra Road summit, but you can imagine all the potential problems with people using it to drink and "party," which is very likely one reason the public agencies haven't figured out a way to put a parking lot there.
  • 01-17-2013
    Axe
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by imtnbke View Post
    I don't know of any nearby parking. Someday there may be parking at the Sierra Road summit, but you can imagine all the potential problems with people using it to drink and "party," which is very likely one reason the public agencies haven't figured out a way to put a parking lot there.

    Yeah. Bugs me you can just frigging stop on a frigging public road.

    And of course it is highly amusing that this Falls road segment between Alum rock parking and the open portion in SVOSP is closed. Is it not it all public land in between.

    Oh, well. I just need to start earlier - but the further away portion would have been a great ride with kids, and I ain't taking them over the climb.
  • 01-18-2013
    plantguy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Yeah. Bugs me you can just frigging stop on a frigging public road.

    And of course it is highly amusing that this Falls road segment between Alum rock parking and the open portion in SVOSP is closed. Is it not it all public land in between.

    Oh, well. I just need to start earlier - but the further away portion would have been a great ride with kids, and I ain't taking them over the climb.

    No it is not all public owned or managed.

    We are currently working on a staging area at the summit of Sierra Road, it is in the permitting stage right now and once that is completed we will have it built and opened very quickly. DT
  • 01-18-2013
    Axe
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by plantguy View Post
    No it is not all public owned or managed.

    I was just looking at a map. Did not see any buildings or anything between Calaveras trail intersection and Alum rock parking lot. Whoever is blocking riding a bike there, screw them. Too bad.


    What is that landing strip at the end of Calaveras trail?

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by plantguy View Post
    We are currently working on a staging area at the summit of Sierra Road, it is in the permitting stage right now and once that is completed we will have it built and opened very quickly. DT

    Cool. :thumbsup: A dirt parking lot would be all we need. With no Boccardo climb would make for a nice family ride. ;)

    Are you also planning access at the trail that goes from intersection of Boccardo and Sierra Vista to Summit road as well?
  • 01-18-2013
    hairylegs
    I'm psyched for the Sierra staging area. It is a HUGE effort to make it to the vista from Alum Rock.

    As hill climbs go, Dog Meat is a harder tractor pull, but going from Penetencia Creek to Sierra Vista takes longer and is no cake walk (and it is more fun- the connector trail always plasters a smile on my face).
  • 01-19-2013
    plantguy
    It will be a staging area similar to Rancho Canada del Oro and we are taking measures to protect the view from both the staging area and the valley. It will enter at Sierra Vista trail and folks won’t need to stage at Alum Rock Park or ride up Sierra Road to legally access the OSA trail system. DT
  • 08-31-2013
    dirtvert
    Any updates on parking/access? I just started teaching in Newark and this has some good potential for post-work rides.

    Thanks, and sorry about the zombie thread bump!
  • 09-02-2013
    plantguy
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    Any updates on parking/access? I just started teaching in Newark and this has some good potential for post-work rides.

    Thanks, and sorry about the zombie thread bump!

    I will talk with our planner at out Wednesday staff meeting I am not sure where the process is at this point. There is known CTS within a mile of the planed staging area so we had to do a full CEQA and I think we have to mitigate for the disturbance of the parking area. DT
  • 09-02-2013
    Axe
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by plantguy View Post
    I will talk with our planner at out Wednesday staff meeting I am not sure where the process is at this point. There is known CTS within a mile of the planed staging area so we had to do a full CEQA and I think we have to mitigate for the disturbance of the parking area. DT

    What's CTS?
  • 09-02-2013
    dirtvert
    ^^ Carpal tunnel syndrome. It's pretty bad out there.



    Actually, it's the endangered california tiger salamander (I had to look it up).

    File:Ambystoma californiense.jpeg
  • 09-04-2013
    plantguy
    We are now waiting for the issuance of a take permit. The holdup is the Santa Clara County Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP). We have been told the spring of 2014 for the final permitting. We and this project are not the only one waiting for this permitting.


    When the project gets started it should not be too long until completion and I will post images of the progress. DT
  • 09-04-2013
    Axe
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by plantguy View Post
    We are now waiting for the issuance of a take permit. The holdup is the Santa Clara County Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP). We have been told the spring of 2014 for the final permitting. We and this project are not the only one waiting for this permitting.

    I went to check who the heck are those... gawd... bureaucracies just multiply.

    Quote:

    The Santa Clara Valley Habitat Agency has been formed and its first meeting held on May 16, 2013. The Santa Clara Valley Habitat Agency is responsible for executing the requirements of the Habitat Plan, the permits, and the Implementing Agreement. It is a Joint Powers Authority (JPA) composed of the Cities of Gilroy, Morgan Hill, and San José, and the County. The JPA is limited to the four participating jurisdictions because the Joint Exercise of Powers Act requires that a JPA can only exercise powers held by all the participating agencies. Of the participating agencies, only the four jurisdictions have the authority to adopt the Habitat Plan fees. Because all of the Permittees are responsible for implementing the Habitat Plan, all of the Permittees will have a role in the Implementing Entity. The Implementing Entity has two decision-making bodies, a Governing Board and an Implementation Board.
  • 12-23-2013
    glenj
    Just stumbled upon this thread...
    As an East Hills native my entire life, I can recall summer days in the '60s sneaking up "Cherry Flats Road"( Alum Rock Falls Road) to, ummm, do some fishing in the Reservoir. Getting chased by rangers and/or land owners. Having tons of fun.
    Now, 45 years later I find myself on the same trails in that same area...legally!
    As far as The Falls Road goes, I suppose if you were to make a high spped run from the Calaveras Fault trail junction (SV07?) to the ARP parking lot, chances of being nabbed would be fairly slim. BUT you didn't hear it here. AND, as stated elsewhere, it wouldn't be doing much good for the image of mountain bikers. Just sayin'.
    Plus, I hear from the rumor mill that maybe, just maybe, that road might be opened up someday.
    BTW incredible pics of the CAT carving out the Vista Trail. Rode it again yesterday and ya' know there isn't much room for error in those spots. That CAT operator definitely has some mad skills and nerves of steel. Hats of to you man!