mtbr member

Sierra trip suggestions

I am going to be visiting the Bay Area in late June, and spending a 4 day weekend in the Sierras. It's been years since I've been up there, so I don't really have a destination in mind. I'd like to find someplace that has good mountain biking, hiking, decent restaurants and is relatively low key. I live in Vermont and ride rocks and roots all the time, something more flowy would be a nice change of pace. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Wardo

mtbr dismember

Tahoe!

Tahoe!

Last edited by Wherewolf; 05-02-2013 at 12:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I enjoy riding Northstar, but for all around riding, scenery, and a cool town, nothing in the area beats Downieville for me. Enjoy your trip!

mtbr member
    Tahoe will have more in the way of restaurants/amenities but can still be very low key depending on where you are on the lake. Truckee is a great town as well just NW of the lake. Downieville/Graeagle are beautiful and offer amazing riding but are relatively remote and offer less amenities.

What part of Vermont are you from? I was just there in October. Beautiful state.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Tahoe will have more in the way of restaurants/amenities but can still be very low key depending on where you are on the lake. Truckee is a great town as well just NW of the lake. Downieville/Graeagle are beautiful and offer amazing riding but are relatively remote and offer less amenities.

What part of Vermont are you from? I was just there in October. Beautiful state.
    THIS! Tahoe for food/beer/events, Downieville for remote and quiet. Actually, if it were me, I'd do both!

Day 1: Drive to Downieville and ride the North Yuba River Trail from town or the Indian Valley Campground (Rocky Rest is good too).
    Day 2: Shuttle run (or two)! Although you said something low key, I'd still do the Downieville Downhill. It does have some gnarly parts, but it's full of good flow too...and it's a ton of fun.
    Day 3: Drive to Truckee (about 1.5hrs) and ride Hole in the Ground. Then head to Incline Village or South Lake Tahoe for the evening.
    Day 4: Tahoe Rim Trail
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    THIS! Tahoe for food/beer/events, Downieville for remote and quiet. Actually, if it were me, I'd do both!

Day 1: Drive to Downieville and ride the North Yuba River Trail from town or the Indian Valley Campground (Rocky Rest is good too).
    Day 2: Shuttle run (or two)! Although you said something low key, I'd still do the Downieville Downhill. It does have some gnarly parts, but it's full of good flow too...and it's a ton of fun.
    Day 3: Drive to Truckee (about 1.5hrs) and ride Hole in the Ground. Then head to Incline Village or South Lake Tahoe for the evening.

I second this option. Other than Hole in the Ground... this trail is the opposite of flow, beautiful, yes, but more like technical climbing for hours with no descent. I'd reccomend heading straight to south lake and riding Mr Toad's instead. Don't miss out on Big Boulder trail in downieville either, well worth the climb! Have fun!

Paper or plastic?
    If he stays in Truckee, he could do the Truckee Super D. That's a fun flowy DH with a few technical parts, or find a local guide.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    I live in the Southern part of the state, Putney to be precise. It is a beautiful state, and we do have some great riding, but it is always fun to travel out West.

Thanks,
    Wardo

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the input. I'll check out the lodging situation before making a call.

Regards,
    Wardo

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Sierra trip suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post

This would be hard to neat. Downieville and the Tahoe Rim trail should not be missed. Make sure when planning you schedule thr rim trail carefully, it is only open to bikes every other day.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr dismember

Wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    Make sure when planning you schedule thr rim trail carefully, it is only open to bikes every other day.
    Wrong! Mt. Rose to Tunnel Creek is the only section closed on odd days.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Wrong! Mt. Rose to Tunnel Creek is the only section closed on odd days.
    Technically, it's not closed (you won't get a ticket for riding it on odd days). It's a recommendation created by some over zealous ranger.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun