Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Sierra Tahoe 100

Just looked at the website, is this new??

Please help us support MTB riding on an already multi-use trail system. The TS100 looks like it may be canceled this week do to the problems with the Tevis Cup Board. This has been a on going battle with the Tevis Cup Endurance Horse Event over the last 6 years. The trail system is 100% multi use from Lyon Ridge to Foresthill, Ca.

Sounds like the 100 miler is to be Cancelled . That would suck its such a great race.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Sierra Tahoe 100

That little update just went up a day or so ago.

I am signed up for the 100. Was looking forward to it again as it's one of my favorites.

mtbr member
    Jimmy's page is down right now. I can't get on it at all.

http://www.globalbiorhythmevents.com/
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hopefully we will have a decision either way when its back up

downward bound
    Sep 2012
    I want to know how to sue the Tevis Cup Board.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 209er View Post
    I don't understand how 1 arbitrary group controls public dirt...

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Sierra Tahoe 100

Lots of people on this Tevis Cup board

http://www.teviscup.org/about-us/the...and-committees

mtbr member

Sierra Tahoe 100

Easy there.
    Lets get our facts straight and find out what's going on before we jump to conclusions here.

mtb'er
    It's a sad day

Email just went out:

"Due to the ongoing, anti-bike efforts of the Tevis group (equestrians), we regret to inform you that the 2013 Tahoe-Sierra 100 has been cancelled. Back in early June, GBE, Inc. was told the permit for the Tahoe National Forest portion of the race would be issued, as we adequately addressed safety concerns raised by the Western States Safe Trail Alliance (WSSTA) with the USFS. As of today GBE, Inc. still does not have the USFS permit in-hand. The WSSTA, formed by as small group of Tevis Board/committee members, Bob and Judy Suter, as well as by Jaede Milsoslavich of Park Watch Report, appears to have been created to rid the historically multi-use Western States Trail of motorcycles and mountain bikes, and they continue to try and find ways to impact or stop our event. They continue to claim that there are safety issues with the TS100. In six years, we have never had a safety issue. At this point in time, GBE Inc. has decided to pull the event and regroup for 2014. We are still planning to hold the 28 mile race from Foresthill to Auburn, as that is under our Auburn State Recreation Area permit. All 100 mile racers will receive a 100% refund. Refunds will be mailed out in the weeks to come. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

GBE, Inc."

Note that this is not a USFS thing. They support the event and weren't going to hold back the permit. The faction of equestrians (a group that many equestrians don't approve of) succeeded in creating enough hurdles for Jim and the USFS to deal with, which affected many things... including registration.

While I'm pissed off beyond belief, this will only serve as motiviation to get future TS100's the same treatment as the Western States 100 and the Tevis Cup. And if TS100 is going to be held to a higher standard of safety, then those other events will need to as well. Last I checked, no athlete has died during a TS100. Game on.

If you registered for the 100, you can still do the shorter Foresthill to Auburn race, and I'm sure Jim would appreciate your business, as he's already out a good deal of money from cancelling the 100. It'll be a fun course to hit with fresh legs. A discount code should be available/active soon.

mtbr member
    Terrible news.

This means war. There should never be another Tevis Cup that goes unchallenged. The equestrians are throwing stones from their glass house.

Sofa king pi$$ed right now.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Ridiculous.

http://www.teviscup.org/about-us/the...and-committees

Their board meetings are held quarterly in Auburn--and are open to the public (which includes us).

And Tevis appears to have plenty of their own safety issues. Turnabout is fair play.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 07-31-2013 at 08:17 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    The equestrians are throwing stones from their glass house.
    I couldn't agree more. They have everything to lose. The many, many reasonable, rational and friendly equestrians need to reel these cowboys and cowgirls in before it really gets ugly.

More Torque

Sierra Tahoe 100

Sucks...sorry to hear that, guys. I passed the 2 GBE vehicles on the way down 80 on Sun, and I was wondering the status of this event. So frustrating.

-D

Paper or plastic?
    Those few anti bikes idiots are really not bright. Usually, this ends with everybody losing.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

I'm really diggin it!

Sierra Tahoe 100

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    I couldn't agree more. They have everything to lose. The many, many reasonable, rational and friendly equestrians need to reel these cowboys and cowgirls in before it really gets ugly.
    Well. Lets get on it. I'm 100% in to bring the the pain.

Lets go to war. No mercy. No prisoners. Lets go big and stamp them out of existence.

Remember we have nothing to lose!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Well. Lets get on it. I'm 100% in to bring the the pain.

Lets go to war. No mercy. No prisoners. Lets go big and stamp them out of existence.

Remember we have nothing to lose!

^^ This man speaks the truth!!! We get steamrolled and bad mouthed all over the place, a race getting kicked of multiuse trails is a real low, really seems like they don't want to share the trails at all? Mtbers bend over backwards to make up for the irresponsible few who give us a bad name, why can't equestrians do the same? Instead, they just wait for the trails to be only for them and their poo machines that cause more trail damage than bikes.

I'm starting to believe more and more that separate but equal trails is the only way to go....sad we all can't just get along like most other places in the country/world when it comes to trail access....

I'm really diggin it!

Sierra Tahoe 100

Quote Originally Posted by IrieRider View Post
    ^^ This man speaks the truth!!! We get steamrolled and bad mouthed all over the place, a race getting kicked of multiuse trails is a real low, really seems like they don't want to share the trails at all? Mtbers bend over backwards to make up for the irresponsible few who give us a bad name, why can't equestrians do the same? Instead, they just wait for the trails to be only for them and their poo machines that cause more trail damage than bikes.

I'm starting to believe more and more that separate but equal trails is the only way to go....sad we all can't just get along like most other places in the country/world when it comes to trail access....
    We need to push back hard right now. This way when the dust settles and land managers create bike / horse / dog walker / hike trails we will get a decent piece of the pie.

With all the conflict being created by less than 5% of trail users surely land mangers will choose to create user specific trails. Multi use is dead thanks to the equestrian brigade. We should be on the warpath. Exposing lies and half truths. Exposing illegal cosy nonprofit exclusive use of public space all the while actively being engaged in politics. There is literally nothing for us to lose and everything for the equestrians to lose. They started this and we should end it.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Sierra Tahoe 100

Agreed.

So pissed off.

downward bound
    Sep 2012
    I have been training like a race horse all year just to finish the TS100 and now the rug gets pulled from underneath us. I agree - Game on. Let's stop the Tevis Cup. Revenge will be sweet and deserved by those bastards. When we stop seeing red, let's remind ourselves to keep our eyes on the prize and the vision that there will be an enduring Western States 100 for mountain bikes not just for ourselves but for others that follow us. That vision is what has been and will keep motivating me.

Type A
    For anyone interested, some of their board and members are riders in the Tahoe rim ride coming up on the 10th. You can compare the two lists on their respective websites. Maybe it would be a good time to plan a critical mass type event and show our power. With the single track segments, it would be rather easy to impact their ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The Achilles heel of the equestrians is trail-erosion. Horses are just plain hard on trails. We need to put together a team to document trail erosion during horse events. That plus the animal welfare people will be what it takes to get their permits pulled.

mtbr member
    I have been training like a race horse all year just to finish the TS100 and now the rug gets pulled from underneath us.
    I feel really bad for everybody that was signed up and prepping for this race.
    When I did it in 2010, I worked my ass off for months to get ready. Total lifestyle change. To not get to do the race would have crushed me.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    @Overthehillthruthewoods: Bingo! Time for little civil disobedience!

(not that we can't ride those trails legally)
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Dropshot Champ!
    wow. Although I wantedbutcouldnt compete this year, I had friends that literally trained ALL year and part of LAST year for this to be their peak event.

Heart goes out to everyone that worked their ass off on the bike hoping to race this.

I can't imagine how Jim is coping with this. Sucks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Pretty messed up !! One of the most challenging fun races for sure. Hopefully next year we will have the race back. Now what do do instead ?? Maybe a loop around lake Tahoe Is that even possible ??

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast