Thread: sidi resole

mtbr member

sidi resole

I have a pair of dominator 5's whose soles were in shreds and worn through in parts - I'd patched them together numerous times with shoe goo, etc. but the soles were disintegrating into nothing. The basic structure and upper part of the shoe were in good shape, so it was hard to give up on them.
    I decided to take them to a little shoe repair place on Shattuck in Berkeley (modelshoerenew.com) where I'd brought some other things to repair, and I'm very happy with the results. They cut a Vibram sole to fit, attached it, and cleaned up the shoes too. I should've taken a "before" picture, but here's an "after" photo anyway. Different tread than the original, but should do fine! $75, well worth it imo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sidi resole-sidi-sole.jpg  

mtbr member
    That seems like it would be heavy.

mtbr member
    Sidi makes awesome cycling shoes. If your feet aren't happy you will not have a good ride. I really like this custom modification.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by "grace" View Post
    I have a pair of dominator 5's whose soles were in shreds and worn through in parts - I'd patched them together numerous times with shoe goo, etc. but the soles were disintegrating into nothing. The basic structure and upper part of the shoe were in good shape, so it was hard to give up on them.
    I decided to take them to a little shoe repair place on Shattuck in Berkeley (modelshoerenew.com) where I'd brought some other things to repair, and I'm very happy with the results. They cut a Vibram sole to fit, attached it, and cleaned up the shoes too. I should've taken a "before" picture, but here's an "after" photo anyway. Different tread than the original, but should do fine! $75, well worth it imo.
    $75 seems like a lot - but it looks good.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    @tahoeyeti - yes they're probably a little heavier, as the sole thickness is about the same as the original, but vibram instead of sidi's material. I'm just happy to use the shoes for a while longer. As marcus4333 noted, my feet like them. & the soles were really in shreds!

More Torque
    Looks like they do clean work. Thanks for sharing.

-D

It's about showing up.
    I use my new Sidis for the road or places where my appearance/PR is an issue. I use my old Sidis for the dirt but he heels are worn down. These shoes are nearly $300 and they come in a narrow width which can be hard to find so I'm going to give Shoe Renew a shot.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I assume you need all of that tread for the trail work you do, because I KNOW you never hike-a-bike!!!
    John S

It's about showing up.
    I just got my Sidis back form the shop. Yes, they are a bit heavier but they are so much better when you have to walk. The original sole is like walking in a rack. These are now much grippier and easier on the feet. Plus I get additional life out of a pair of $250 shoes!!
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    @js - ha
    @mike - glad to hear! check the polish - I wiped off some excess. I'm continuing to be very happy with mine!
    -LG

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    I just got my Sidis back form the shop. Yes, they are a bit heavier but they are so much better when you have to walk. The original sole is like walking in a rack. These are now much grippier and easier on the feet. Plus I get additional life out of a pair of $250 shoes!!
    Hey Mike, did you go with the Vibram style sole like the OP? Just curious.
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...

gobsmacked Moderator
    Great info, subscribed! My favorite shoes by far.

If only they would make a better insole. One day in the rain and it's toast!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Where did you get it done?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm surprised no one has suggested using a bicycle tire for the re-sole, er, re-tread. Might even be able to glue it on by yourself.

I have a 10+ year old pair of Camper shoes that look like they used a road tire for the sole, though it was probably just made to look that way.

As for Sidi Dominators, I switched to Specialized insoles three years ago and they work great. They do take up a little more room than the Sidi insole, but the Specialized have so much better arch support it was worth it (different color Specialized insoles provide different amounts of arch support).

mtbr member
    My complaint with Sidis is I lose the screw that holds the buckle on. Other than that they've lasted for years.

Salud
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sidi resole-mini-img_1465.jpg  

Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

mtbr member
    I bought my Sidi Dominator 5's at a swap meat for $8 about 3 years ago. They just won't die!
    They fit me just right as long I have no insoles in them.
    I like to ride bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 2