mtbr member

Shops that rent/demo SS

I wanted to test out a few SS before I invested the cash into one. the few placed I have checked do not rent/demo SS.

Anyone have any leads that is not too far from Oakland? I would love to take it up to JMP/Redwood for a spin.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think Passion Trail Bikes in Belmont has a Santa Cruz Chameleon Single speed.

Tread Bikes in Campbell has a Scott single speed (to be verified).

I have a feeling you are looking for a niner?

mtbr member
    I don't really care what brand it is. I just want to test my ability to not use the granny gear. also the last time i rode a hard tail was in the late 90's

p.s. i am 6ft and 235 of lean mean table muscle. so maybe that weeds out some of the choices?

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    Funny story.....

During my accident in November 2009 where i have shattered my clavicle i built up a solid "all mountain" rig that cost me some serious $$ and when i finally healed up, i rode the thing a couple of times and a month passed and somehow i bought myself a SS thinking i was going to put gears on them. 1 year and half has passed all i ride is the SS.

Point is you can do more than what you think.

mtbr member
    I should also note , my commute bike is a SS, not a fixed gear. sometimes I wish I could go faster, then I remember sometimes I crash too.

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    Do you have a geared bike now? If yes, set the gearing to a desired ratio and go ride without touching the shifters. I did that for a while to see if I enjoyed the single speed thing before buying one. It's not quite the same but gives you a pretty good idea.

never ender
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzkil
    I don't really care what brand it is. I just want to test my ability to not use the granny gear. also the last time i rode a hard tail was in the late 90's

p.s. i am 6ft and 235 of lean mean table muscle. so maybe that weeds out some of the choices?
    I'd say if you have any interest in it, just go for it. A demo ride would be great but it won't show you the whole picture. It wasn't until I'd been riding one-speed for about a year that I really started to feel like I was as fast as on a geared bike. Muscle and fitness need to be built up, of course, but your overall riding style needs to change too. It's not just a matter of not shifting.

That said, there's no reason to drop a ton of money on something top-of-the-line. I've seen plenty of Redline Monocogs and similar cheap bikes that were obviously upgraded over time with better wheels, forks, etc...evidence of somebody buying their first SS on a budget and then getting hooked. And if you wind up hating it, it will make a great bar bike.

just another bleepin SSer
    You could try the geared bike that you just don't shift. For mountain biking, choose your middle ring and about the 3rd smallest cog in the back as a starting place. Don't try to sit and spin on climbs - stand for as much as you can at first. Just don't touch the shifter.

Passion Trail Bikes in Belmont does have a pair of Santa Cruz Chameleons singlespeeds - one medium and one large.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    Business: www.calkayakermag.com
    Personal: www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

mtbr member
    thanks for the thoughts. I'll lock out my rear shock and spin a bit this weekend.