mtbr member

Shell beach needs some love

I've searched around on google but can't seem to find the group that maintains or builds at shells. I live right down the road and frequent it quite a bit.. The place is getting a little beat, i would love to shovel and make some improvements, but dont want to step on the toes of those who came before. Meaning no offense I think the layout is also a bit haphazard. With all the trail building projects going on in Marin and Santa Cruz, I would love if we could add to shells making it a legitimate pump track/jump park like those in Pleasanton, santa cruz and elsewhere. If anyone has thoughts let me know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Build a wallride!

Team Chilidog!
    Contact Calabazas Cyclery in San Jose. They're BMX mostly so they might know who's in charge.

SOG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpca10 View Post
    I've searched around on google but can't seem to find the group that maintains or builds at shells. I live right down the road and frequent it quite a bit.. The place is getting a little beat, i would love to shovel and make some improvements, but dont want to step on the toes of those who came before. Meaning no offense I think the layout is also a bit haphazard. With all the trail building projects going on in Marin and Santa Cruz, I would love if we could add to shells making it a legitimate pump track/jump park like those in Pleasanton, santa cruz and elsewhere. If anyone has thoughts let me know.
    I wish their were more people like you that respect the hard work that has gone into that place. I agree that it needs work and has so much potential. Most of the people who worked out there have moved away but there are still a couple of us that try and maintain the jumps. A couple of years back a group of guys tried to re-engineer the main pack and destroyed the flow. It can still be hit but it isn't the same. I was out there recently and it looks like some new people have been doing some work on the existing jumps. I was also disappointed that it looks like some jumps were torn down which I plan to rebuild.

The biggest hurdle with this place is you have people who knock down jumps to take dirt for their own project. If you want to build something new go for it but do it from scratch. I'd love a pump track but this place has been plagued with 50's for years that tear everything up. I try to do enough work just to keep it going so I can hit my lines.

I'll be out there Saturday morning working.
    Last edited by SOG; 01-09-2013 at 07:16 PM.