#1 ·
i've not done this race before, so i've got a couple of questions:

hardtail or dualie xc bike?

big or low profile knobs?

elevation profile?

thanks!

#2 ·
I'll try and help

Ride whatever you want to. The downhills for sure are suited for a dually, especially the ice box as it is pretty tore up now, but on that note, I've only ever raced a fully rigid on the course and enjoyed it.

Tires.. I perfer something that will grab on the corners (popular tires around here are Nevegals, Trail bears, stuff with knobs), there will be some loose sections. Also, I recommend tubeless. I got two flats last year.

Profile. Hows this. Upppp, Down, Up, Down, flat, Uppppp, then downnnn. Yeah, I think that about covers it.

#4 ·
I would ride what ever you feel more comfortable on. I think the race is won on all the climbing, but it is a long hard race, so ride what you feel best on. I've done the long course 3 times and am always hurting big time at the end of the race. Unlike Downieville, you are not not done after the long fun downhill, so be prepared to keep on climbing till you cross the finish line.

#5 ·
I rode the long course Saturday (hot!!). Here's my report, also posted on Lemurian website.

COURSE UPDATE 4/13/2008

The course today was dry and fast. Extended weather forecast indicates only a chance of showers on a handful of days. I expect conditions to be dry and fast on race day. Tires of choice will likely be those best suited to dry conditions. The Gas Can decent was extremely loose and sketchy, caution is advised as you won't win the race here, but could lose it here. Virtually no mud on the course. Lines on the Couch continue to improve. The Ice Box decent is rougher than previous years. Most of the blow down on the course has been removed, the remaining obstacles do not require a dismount.

#7 ·
I prerode the 21 mile course a few weeks ago and I was pretty sure I left a kidney and lung on the trail somewhere. I rode it on my nomad. The downhills are way sketch right now, but could be done on a hardtail (just not by me). Those climbs are crazy. I see the 8 mile beginner race route in my future.

#8 ·
renderedtoast said:
I prerode the 21 mile course a few weeks ago and I was pretty sure I left a kidney and lung on the trail somewhere. I rode it on my nomad. The downhills are way sketch right now, but could be done on a hardtail (just not by me). Those climbs are crazy. I see the 8 mile beginner race route in my future.
I'm not a great bike handler, but I ride my hardtail on that course all the time! The first descent is sketchier now than it was a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately someone always crashes on it during the race. The Couch descent is much improved over a couple of weeks ago. Pedaling a Nomad up those 2 climbs would be really hard, nice job:thumbsup:

#10 ·
Couch!!

I hit that on Saturday. OH MY!! Talk about fast. I love it this time of year, its gets such a nice line worn in from people preriding the course.

One line that people are taking that is a bit off is the steep right before the metal bridge. Everyone is taking a line on the left and if you just aim straight down the middle and let go of the front brake about half way down you can get enough momentum to clear the next hill. Feels so good. Oh man, all this talk of the couch, I think I have to head out there tonight. :thumbsup:

LemurianGuy said:
I'm not a great bike handler, but I ride my hardtail on that course all the time! The first descent is sketchier now than it was a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately someone always crashes on it during the race. The Couch descent is much improved over a couple of weeks ago. Pedaling a Nomad up those 2 climbs would be really hard, nice job:thumbsup:

#11 ·
You made the right choice in riding locations. Sunday I pedaled to Shasta Dam on the new trail (44 miles round trip from my house!). There was a HUGE moto race at the OHV area, you could hear 'em all the way across the river and there was a big dust cloud.

#16 ·
NoBalance said:
Any pictures of this course? How sketchy are these downhills? I wont be able to pre-ride so having a general idea from pics might help.

Still not sure about this one though. NVDC took a bite out of my soul.
There really is only one sketchy downhill and its just a fire road with some off camber turns and a few ruts in the wrong places. Its not a problem so long as you keep your bike under control. The Couch trail is very cool, its steep, dark & shady, with a few ruts, but very soft so crashing doesn't hurt much.:p Its so dark on the Couch that my camera won't take a decent picture even in the middle of the day.

Some of the course is on an old water ditch, there's a rooty, stair step downhill, a techy, rocky trail along a creek, etc. In short, there's something for everyone:thumbsup:

Attachments

#19 ·
Race Pics

A couple more race pics. Notice the bridge at the bottom of the hill in one of the shots? Its actually an old steel loading ramp from a uhaul truck. The trick is to negotiate your way past a couple of rocks and roots, then let go of the brakes, fly across the bridge and up the short hill on the other side. Fun stuff:thumbsup:

Attachments

#20 ·
Thanks! This thread needed some pics! I hope that girl didnt hit that tiny little tree head on.

Yeah I dont know why everyone is crashing, it doesnt look that bad. :) There were a couple of places to crash at the NVDC and I cleared them all very well. However, I am always a bit unsure on my EPIC. Since this course has lots of climbing, I'd probably still go with the Epic.

Now to figure out a good carpool for that long-arse trip up. We'll see.

#24 ·
Think you might beat last years time?

How are you feeling this year? The course is very fast. The upper section of the shasta mine downhill has been smoothed out, so its super fast. Not sure how sketchy the gas can is.

Tim Olson said:
Me and Aren Timmel are coming up to ride today, early afternoon, if anyone wants to meet up. PM me and I should get it on my phone.

#25 ·
Loki said:
How are you feeling this year? The course is very fast. The upper section of the shasta mine downhill has been smoothed out, so its super fast. Not sure how sketchy the gas can is.
I feel happy! Not sure how fast I'll be though. I went out and rode the course last week with Nigel and it was a lot drier than I've seen it in a while. Usually in the spring there's a lot of standing water on the canal trail, and a couple of years ago I remember hiking through snow at the top of Couch. The park employees were cutting out a lot of downed timber off the trails last week, so everything should be clean. They said there's a horse race coming up soon also. When is that?

I'll do my best to beat last years time, but even if I do that doesn't mean someone else won't come along and beat it by even more!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.