i've not done this race before, so i've got a couple of questions:

hardtail or dualie xc bike?

big or low profile knobs?

elevation profile?

thanks!

#103 ·
Last year

MichiganMat said:
Is that because of the descents? Or is the whole course rocky? I can ride almost any condition on my CX bike, but fast rocky descents will be an issue just as a matter of speed. Im riding the long course BTW. If the majority of the course is smoothed out singletrack with a few gnarly rocky drops then I'll be out on the CX. But if there are super-d style bombs...
I saw a guy on a cross bike. I know he's finished but I'll bet it was a painful day:p

#105 ·
Fun race. The temperature was just right this year. Sorry I couldn't stay for the awards. I probably would have won the big raffle prize. :madman:

Any word when the results will be online? I was happy with my finish time this year but would like to really go through the results.

#107 ·
Epic: the only way to describe the Lemurian Classic.

Truly one the most exciting, dangerous, difficult, treacherous experiences I've ever had the pleasure to experience. For a beginner racer like me, this is what its all about. The climbs went on seemingly forever, the descents were loose and blindingly fast, and every resources at my disposal (water, muscle, concentration, my machine) was depleted by the finish. Today my muscles ache, my bike creeks and moans with every pedal, and Im constantly hungry, tired, and unable to think straight. I can't wait to put myself through it again next year.

Thanks for a great event.

#111 ·
merlin said:
dang i wanted to see who beat me in the old guy long course. Wish I could have been there!:mad:
We missed you Merlin, it was quite a day! Tim Olson's long course record was beaten by 3" 07" by Mike Vine, an Xterra triathelete from B.C. Age group results are below:

Attachments

#118 ·
0gre said:
I passed 115 near the top of the big climb. Didn't see him come in until 15 minutes or 20 minutes after I finished though.
That was me. What a brutal race. I've had hard races before, but I've never thought to myself "I am not having fun. At all." like I did during this one.

This was the race where my too-small bike really came back to haunt me. My back started to hurt at the end of the first climb, and broke down progressively after that. By the end I couldn't even take full breaths, it hurt so badly. My arms were so worked by the end from trying to compensate that I could barely work the brake levers on the downhill.

Ironically, I think the part of my body that hurts least is my legs.

I also managed nutrition badly (I must have bonked, in retrospect, although I didn't feel particularly hungry at the time) and had full-on cramps for the first time ever.

And, I followed a couple other people on a wrong turn just before the last few bits and rode up some random hill for like 5 minutes before someone finally wised up and we turned around.

Overall, not my best race ever.

#121 ·
Thanks for posting the results. I was very excited to see the final results. Sorry I could not stay for the awards I had a diner reservation back in Bend for my girlfriend.

In hindsight I should have stayed. :D

LemurianGuy said:
We missed you Merlin, it was quite a day! Tim Olson's long course record was beaten by 3" 07" by Mike Vine, an Xterra triathelete from B.C. Age group results are below:

#122 ·
LemurianGuy said:
Where did you ride Sunday Dennis?
Thanks for the offer too hook up and the route suggestion. We just decided to ride from Todd's front door though, we did a quick 15 miles or so some trails off of Swasey. Nice fast fun stuff without too much climbing. I actually felt better after the ride than before it, just what the doctor ordered. Managed to be on the road by 1:30PM and home by 4:30. Excellent way to end the weekend. Char was challenged by some of the climbing but she put out the effort and had some fun.

It was kind of cool, Todd rode from one intersection to the next during the race cheering me on and heckling me intermittently, I probably saw him 5 times during the race.

It was great seeing you and Gail again. I also ran into Chris hanging around by the beer coolers.

#123 ·
sashax said:
Overall, not my best race ever.
Well I certainly could have done better, I followed your example pushing up to the top for too long before realizing I could pedal up a lot of that stuff. Once I got rolling past you I never saw you again.

This was certainly a tough course, I managed my nutrition pretty well, taking some cubes and goo on a consistent basis. I was pretty messed up for the rest of the day after the race, but not too bad. Looking at the results I was 20th in my category of 27... bottom of the pack but not bad for my first 'expert' level race I suppose. Heck, I've never even raced 'sport' before.

#124 ·
This is the best yet...I put this one in my "EPIC" file...even though the climbs were brutal, hey without them theres no DOWN, and was that not the bomb!!!! Loved it, the event staff and the way it was run was GREAT!!! I just might consider this a race to fly back out here for next year...thanks to everyone!!!

Ed from Maryland SS #108

#125 ·
I also ran into Chris hanging around by the beer coolers.

Hey, that's how they pay me. It was fun just helping out. Great event as usual thanks to a lot of work from Ron, Gail, Jan and all the volunteers. Fun seeing lots of friends from all over come out and race or help out or both. I've had many great Lemurian race days since my very first mountain bike race there in 1990 (91?), so the least I could do was help in any way I could....and help drink their beer.

Great race conditions for sure. Went out Thursday and Friday marking the course with Ron, Mike and Gary, just beautiful weather and trail conditions. No wonder there were records set in several categories. Ron'll just have to add some more climbs I guess :eekster:

Congrats to all the racers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.