Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    There are some great trails near home including a brand new one I haven't yet seen. Does that timing work for you?
    Would you be talking about the new trail up mule mountain?
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by Trabso
    Same trog differant handle.

Either way I knew it might be a time issue if you were planning on going home Sunday.
    If you can wait around for Ron, I would like to try and get in on it as well.
    Well I don't think I'm waiting around for Ron (Sorry Ron). I'm not keen on riding in the mid-day heat and we want to get home early. Ron suggested a fairly flat trail that goes about 17 miles towards Lake Shasta (34 mile out and back). Is your email the same headshock hotmail addy it's been? I can forward you the directions he sent me.

Are you racing Saturday?

2012 Race: April 28th!
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Well I don't think I'm waiting around for Ron (Sorry Ron). I'm not keen on riding in the mid-day heat and we want to get home early. Ron suggested a fairly flat trail that goes about 17 miles towards Lake Shasta (34 mile out and back). Is your email the same headshock hotmail addy it's been? I can forward you the directions he sent me.

Are you racing Saturday?
    You guys are killing me here...88 degrees is hot Come & visit in August if you want to see hot! Headshok I suggested the new Hornbeck/Sac Ditch Trails, I'm sure you're familar with that area.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Is your email the same headshock hotmail addy it's been? I can forward you the directions he sent me.

Are you racing Saturday?
    Same email.
    Can't make it Saturday boys have baseball
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    You guys are killing me here...88 degrees is hot Come & visit in August if you want to see hot! Headshok I suggested the new Hornbeck/Sac Ditch Trails, I'm sure you're familar with that area.
    well I've ridden up the auburn ravine at the end of a 5+ hour ride in 100+ so... I sympathize.

Given the choice between riding in the heat and riding when it's cooler I'll take cooler, even so if it were just that Ron I'd probably hang out and ride with you. It's just going to be a long weekend and wanna get home.

Urban Ninja
    Now I'm officially registered. I was going through some pics from last year. Here are a couple of my fav's.
    1. Gentlemen. Start your engines!
    2. Passing a couple guys on the first descent while riding on the side of the trail.
    3. Happy face when I realized the finish was in sight and more importantly, the beer was in sight!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jacobman..hear ya...I'll be running 32/18...and probablly wish I hadn't but what the heck it'll be a great weekend to be out for a ride and a "hike-a-bike"...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just for reference how long does the hornbeck trail take you from qtz hill to the dam and back. I know that the lemurian has alot more climbing, but I really want to ride it, just that I have never ran a race and don't want to embarrass myself.

I have ridden from swasy over mule mtn, hit the canal and shasta mine, part of buck hollow and back with no problem, approx 15 miles and it took 2hrs exactly.

Lusus Naturae
    Nice green stumpy. Got the same bike, but will be using the epic. Dont think I can pull off a 2:46 but will try to keep it under 3.5 hours.

Cableguy, you going to be doing SS? I'll be sure to say hi when I pas you up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    In looking at the race results from last year, I notice a Clydsdale category, what are the requirements and/ or what is it?

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEKEDAWG
    In looking at the race results from last year, I notice a Clydsdale category, what are the requirements and/ or what is it?
    Typically you have to weigh in at 200 lbs for dudes 165 lbs for chicks, that's it. I've seen the chick weigh limit vary a bit.

It's kind of a sucker bet though since often the tall clydes are faster than the sport class riders. I thought they had a clyde class for the 20 mile race this year but not for the 26 mile race but I'm not sure.

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    Nice green stumpy. Got the same bike, but will be using the epic. Dont think I can pull off a 2:46 but will try to keep it under 3.5 hours.

Cableguy, you going to be doing SS? I'll be sure to say hi when I pas you up.
    It's a cool bike fer sure. The Stumpy was fun last year. Definitely the bike I would go out for a ride on this course. But to race this course it's a bit heavy. Epic is a better choice for the race considering the brutal climbs. This is such a climbers course. I'll be on a steel hard tail this year. Get psyched! Good luck.

mind taking
    Is the long course able to be ridden on a full rigid?

I'm considering racing my CX bike just because its so much faster and lighter than my XC right now. I've looked through a few of the pics from previous years, looks like a few guys were running rigids. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Yep Nobalance...you probablly will pass me up, right at the beginning too...This will be a "scenic" ride for me... Looking at the times from last year I'm figuring to be around the 3 hr mark....trying to keep it under will be the goal...certainly not out to blaze any times...just for the fun of it and to say I finished, thats the big reason for the SS, very, very small chance of mechanical issues (knock on wood)...besides my geared is STILL in the shop...I haven't had the nerve to call them yet to find out if the Carbon was affected...c-ya there...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

rigid no problem

Well, I guess it could be a problem if your not used to riding rigid in rocky conditions.

Cross bike though, maybe a monster cross. If your running rigid, you will want some tires with volume.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMat
    Is the long course able to be ridden on a full rigid?

I'm considering racing my CX bike just because its so much faster and lighter than my XC right now. I've looked through a few of the pics from previous years, looks like a few guys were running rigids. Any thoughts?

mind taking
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Well, I guess it could be a problem if your not used to riding rigid in rocky conditions.

Cross bike though, maybe a monster cross. If your running rigid, you will want some tires with volume.
    Is that because of the descents? Or is the whole course rocky? I can ride almost any condition on my CX bike, but fast rocky descents will be an issue just as a matter of speed. Im riding the long course BTW. If the majority of the course is smoothed out singletrack with a few gnarly rocky drops then I'll be out on the CX. But if there are super-d style bombs...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I don't doubt your skills

But most of the downhill after the first descent is very rocky. The last part of the course is called the ice box, and I always thought it was named that after the chunks of rock that litter certain areas. Another factor, is on some of the climbs, the road is graveled in about 1 inch pieces of gravel, I doubt climbing that in cross tires would be fun.

And flats. I run big tire, and last year I got two flats. People that run small tires, usually learn that the terrain isn't suited for them. I can't imagine the work it would take to finesse a cross bike through this course. But at the same time there are a couple of area's where a cross bike would FLY, i.e. the canal trail, and the road across the dam.

But if you do, be sure to post your thoughts on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMat
    Is that because of the descents? Or is the whole course rocky? I can ride almost any condition on my CX bike, but fast rocky descents will be an issue just as a matter of speed. Im riding the long course BTW. If the majority of the course is smoothed out singletrack with a few gnarly rocky drops then I'll be out on the CX. But if there are super-d style bombs...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Screw it, I am in. I will be solo, so If you see a fat guy on a silver bike on the side of the trail, tell him to suck it up and get moving.

mind taking
    Loki-

Thats some excellent insight, thanks for your suggestions. I've decided to play it safe and ride my XC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

what course?

20 or 26 miler?

Quote Originally Posted by ZEKEDAWG
    Screw it, I am in. I will be solo, so If you see a fat guy on a silver bike on the side of the trail, tell him to suck it up and get moving.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    20 miler

ride hard or die
    Mar 2004
    If anybody is down to carpool from chico early in the mourning hit me up. I got a truck so I can take a few more people and there bike and gear.

Lusus Naturae
    Hopefully I'll be okay with the epic. I mean, only the roughest stuff needs more than 4" of travel. From the pictures and reports, it looks like this will require more skill than just travel.

Ahh the climbing ... it CANT be as bad as NVDC in as far as hills that are NOT climbable. But damn, 5000 ft of climbing ... ca-rap ... where's that bowl of pasta anyway ...

Course Update

One word: Perfection! I marked the course yesterday and can report that the Tuesday/Wednesday rains eliminated the dust and greatly improved traction! Yesterday would have been a perfect day to race. The Gas Can descent was a blast, I could actually hold a line and not have to deal with 2 wheel drift every corner. Couch has some very fast, smooth lines grooved in, the dirt was very tacky and it was even a bit chilly at the top around 3 pm. Weather forecast for today calls for possible thunderstorms in the area so we may get a bit more moisture...bring it on!

Registion is around 280 as of Thursday evening so you can register Friday evening 3-7 or Saturday morning starting at 7am. Looks like we're going to have lots of fun on Saturday!
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Quote Originally Posted by jenglish23
    Now I'm officially registered. I was going through some pics from last year. Here are a couple of my fav's.
    1. Gentlemen. Start your engines!
    2. Passing a couple guys on the first descent while riding on the side of the trail.
    3. Happy face when I realized the finish was in sight and more importantly, the beer was in sight!
    Pic #1...That's what I call making your own line, the photog must have been scared $hitle$$
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast