Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    YESBRO!!!
    SHAME ON YOU MTBR NOR CAL COMMUNITY!

we left the Boggs race with 1/4 keg of Speakeasy left!

SHAME ON YOU ALL!

so for Shasta, the question is

to keg, or not to keg? WILL YOU HELP US DRINK IT??

Mountain Lion Bait
    I'll drink a 1/4 by myself (then keel over and die).

mtbr member
    Thats it...the SS it has to be...besides I LOVE MY 29ER!!! It rolls so sweetly over the rocks and drops in the downhill...c-ya all up there, and WOW 257 miles there...getting in the campsite late isn't a problem is it? Or can ya just park in the parking lot...I have a VW Eurovan Camper.

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    Thats it...the SS it has to be...besides I LOVE MY 29ER!!! It rolls so sweetly over the rocks and drops in the downhill...c-ya all up there, and WOW 257 miles there...getting in the campsite late isn't a problem is it? Or can ya just park in the parking lot...I have a VW Eurovan Camper.
    Man I wish I had a camper setup like that. I sure hope they got showers if I decide to camp. I cannot fathom starting my day without a shower, it just rinses the tired away. I think the camping is a mile away.

The weather looks like it'll be between 75 and 85 during the day, and in the fifties at night, which isnt so bad (as long as there is no bleeping cold wind).

Yeah, its far. Its a drive. I dont think I'll be getting up at 4am in order to drive up there. On the other hand, it is a nice area and its been a while since I ... drove through Redding.

2012 Race: April 28th!
    getting in the campsite late isn't a problem is it? Or can ya just park in the parking lot...I have a VW Eurovan Camper.
    Unfortunately rangerboy isn't going to allow you to camp in the parking lot or any other place that isn't a designated camp site. But there is an RV lot about 1/4 mi from the start/finish, in fact the race comes right thru the rv camping area. Not sure what the cost is for that. The "official" $5 per head camping is at Dry Cr Group Camp and is primitive, but located right on the lake. Its one of those drive in and unload your gear then park your car in the lot deals.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    I sure hope they got showers if I decide to camp. I cannot fathom starting my day without a shower, it just rinses the tired away. I think the camping is a mile away.

The weather looks like it'll be between 75 and 85 during the day, and in the fifties at night, which isnt so bad (as long as there is no bleeping cold wind).
    No showers, sorry. But the lake is right there, a morning dip will wake you up for sure
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info LemurianGuy...sounds like I should stay at he RV park...besides then I can have power plug in and watch some movies, and probablly get a shower too...

mtbr member

Good job! Bigfoot gets to race!

Hola Ron,
    We're looking forward to Saturday, one of those rare occasions when I get to put on a number and actually race! It's gonna be nice seeing someone else walking around with a bull-horn and a head-ache.

My wife will get bored just hanging around a finish line. Could you use her at a road crossing or somewhere? She'll need to be somewhere that she can drive to and that has some shade since she'll have Mac the wonder mutt with her.

See ya at the lake!

Bigfoot
    www.teambigfoot.net

mtbr member

rain is good!

It looks like the course is getting a nice little sprinkling about now. Should be great for Saturday.

Here is a link to the cal trans traffic cam on 299 about 4 miles east of the lake.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/cctv/sm_eurway.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by arphaxhad
    It looks like the course is getting a nice little sprinkling about now. Should be great for Saturday.

Here is a link to the cal trans traffic cam on 299 about 4 miles east of the lake.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/cctv/sm_eurway.shtml
    Its raining lightly in Redding right now. I spoke with the trails guy at Whiskeytown about 30 minutes ago and he said its coming down pretty good. Hopefully it'll keep up at least through the afternoon.

Tires of choice will still be those that handle dry conditons well. This rain should help traction a bit & eliminate the dust
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    Its raining lightly in Redding right now. I spoke with the trails guy at Whiskeytown about 30 minutes ago and he said its coming down pretty good. Hopefully it'll keep up at least through the afternoon.

Tires of choice will still be those that handle dry conditons well. This rain should help traction a bit & eliminate the dust
    Sounds perfect. As long as the warm weather doesn't roll in and make it humid as hell.

Hey Ron, are you riding on Sunday?

Lusus Naturae
    Thanks for the info LemurianGuy...sounds like I should stay at he RV park...besides then I can have power plug in and watch some movies, and probablly get a shower too...
    http://www.nps.gov/whis/planyourvisi...ile%20size.pdf

Looks like the showers are 9 miles away on the complete opposite side of the lake at Oak Bottom. Ahh screw it. I'll just have to be a dirty pig.

Whiskeytown webcam: http://www.whiskeytowncam.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Sounds perfect. As long as the warm weather doesn't roll in and make it humid as hell.
    No worries there, the dry ground will soak it all up.

Hey Ron, are you riding on Sunday?
    I can ride Sunday, but I've got a few chores to do first. I have to unload the contents of the rental truck into our storage unit, then return the truck. So I probably won't start pedaling until around noon. There are some great trails near home including a brand new one I haven't yet seen. Does that timing work for you?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    Whiskeytown webcam: http://www.whiskeytowncam.com/
    Looks like you trumped me with a much better webcam. Good Job

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    I can ride Sunday, but I've got a few chores to do first. I have to unload the contents of the rental truck into our storage unit, then return the truck. So I probably won't start pedaling until around noon. There are some great trails near home including a brand new one I haven't yet seen. Does that timing work for you?
    I'll have to see who comes with me and what they think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Went for a run at Swasey at lunch and the ground was tacky, then it actually started to rain. The course should be dry but at least it will have some moisture remaining.

Gonna decide tonight if this will be the first race I enter.

mtbr member
    I'll have to see who comes with me and what they think.
    I was going to ask you if you were bringing any "trogs" with you.
    If you you can't make the ride with Ron because of a time issue (if you can I wouldn't mind tagging along) I will be able show you around early Sunday if you like.
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe

mtbr member
    It says it's going to be 87 on Saturday. Does anyone see this being a very muggy and hot weekend? Any updates as far as trail conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by iWiLRiDe
    It says it's going to be 87 on Saturday. Does anyone see this being a very muggy and hot weekend? Any updates as far as trail conditions?
    This area rarely has much humidity, the air is noticeably drier than in Sacramento. 87 is Redding's forecasted high for Saturday, the Whiskeytown forecast shows 81 as the high. The weather should be near perfect, it won't hit 81 until 2-3 pm and everyone will most likely be off the course by 1:00. Also, the last 8 miles is heavily shaded and the final singletrack is nicknamed Ice Box, so I don't think heat will be much of a factor.

Brandy Cr got .56" of rain in the last 24 hrs, and its sprinkling lightly in Redding right now. I've been hoping we'd get some rain this week, conditions will be nearly perfect, if not a bit on the dry side on Saturday. The trails are mostly decomposed granite so don't bring your mud tires. You'll want tires that handle hardpack well. Link to local precip info:
    http://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/precipMaps...=24&synoptic=0
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Lusus Naturae
    According to Wunderground.com, it will be 77 ... not sure how accurate this stuff is but:

5 am: temp 43, 65% humidity and 25% cloud cover
    11 am: temp 67, 37% humidity and 25% cloud cover (mid-race conditions)

I assume by 1 PM most will be done and the temps should be in the mid-70s. Of course it'll probably be more like 80. I'm going to be doing some pre-hydration for this sucker since I'll most likely be out there for 3.5 hours and the elevation gain is absolutely insane. Thats when I get the cramping issues ... probably on the final climb.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the updates guys, I couldn't ask for better conditions. BTW...I'll be registerring the day of the race, the race hasn't been filled completely has it?

ride hard or die
    Mar 2004

just registered

Just registered for the race. Am stoked. Sea otter kind of wore me down last weekand, so am taking it easy this week. cant wait to see you all there.

mtbr member
    I registered online and will be riding my single speed on the long course and have never been more scared in my life. Last year i rode my geared bike on the 20 and did decent but im in better shape this year so i will put my strength and will to the test. I will be running 34t/19t.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by Trabso
    I was going to ask you if you were bringing any "trogs" with you.
    If you you can't make the ride with Ron because of a time issue (if you can I wouldn't mind tagging along) I will be able show you around early Sunday if you like.
    Mark Day is going to be up but he's driving up separately. I'm riding up with Sethebo.

Let me talk to Char and see, I'd like to ride with Ron but I'm not sure a 3+ hour ride starting at 1PM is a great idea time wise (plus how warm is it going to be). Who is this if you don't mind me asking? The only former trog I know of in Redding uses a different handle on MTBR.

mtbr member
    The only former trog I know of in Redding uses a different handle on MTBR.
    Same trog differant handle.

Either way I knew it might be a time issue if you were planning on going home Sunday.
    If you can wait around for Ron, I would like to try and get in on it as well.
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out, it's the grain of sand in your shoe

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast