Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ride hard or die
    Mar 2004
    is the course marked to pre ride?

2012 Race: April 28th!
    Quote Originally Posted by goat
    is the course marked to pre ride?
    No. The park service won't let me start marking until the Thursday before the race. But you can buy a book called North State Single Track that has a pretty good course map and directions. Get it at any lbs in Redding or at the Whiskeytown Visitor Center.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Olson
    They said there's a horse race coming up soon also. When is that?
    Its this Saturday April 19th. I've seen the course maps and thankfully it appears they won't be using the Couch. But they'll be on most of the rest of the course so expect a very rough trail.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Lusus Naturae
    At least it'll likely be dry and the horses will be running so the impact wont be as bad as it could have been. A horse race on the trails ... gotta see that!

Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    At least it'll likely be dry and the horses will be running so the impact wont be as bad as it could have been. A horse race on the trails ... gotta see that!
    Not sure if its actually a race or a ride. Two distances, 25 & 50 miles and I think there are 2 different 50 courses.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

ride hard or die
    Mar 2004

They got horse races up there?

YESBRO!!!
    how loose is it? generally speaking?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    Sunday I pedaled to Shasta Dam on the new trail (44 miles round trip from my house!). There was a HUGE moto race at the OHV area, you could hear 'em all the way across the river and there was a big dust cloud.
    You say that like it is a bad thing to have a race at an ohv park.

Urban Ninja
    I raced last year on my stumpy fsr and it worked well (2nd in expert). But the long loop is very much a climbers course. Even though passing all the guys on Scott and Look carbon bikes on that first descent was a lot of fun, this year I'm going with my steel hardtail with a nevegal/smallblock UST setup. The descents are not that technical if you are a fair descender. I suck at climbing so hopefully the lighter bike will help me. Also, my hardtail has two water bottle holders and the stumpy only has one so with the HT I'll be able to ditch the camelback

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by ZEKEDAWG
    You say that like it is a bad thing to have a race at an ohv park.
    As he is a moto rider himself, or used to be. He was just saying it was a good thing I didn't do the ride I planned on doing Saturday, or I would have had to contended with hundreds of motorcycles, which would have not made for the most pleasant riding conditions.

Small block in the back, nevegal up front, run tubeless, should be a rocken combo for this course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Any pictures of this course? How sketchy are these downhills? I wont be able to pre-ride so having a general idea from pics might help.

Still not sure about this one though. NVDC took a bite out of my soul.

No Balance
    I rode most of that course last fall and while there are some challenges, there is nothing steeper than what you rode down last sunday at NVDC and no reason to crash, except maybe on that first steeep rutty downhill (don't know the name) which is what I did
    The Wrong Tim.

NedwannaB

Looks like.....

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Here a couple pic's...it is actually not that technical, just steep in a couple spots. This really is one of the most fun courses around
    ...both Team Red riders might disagree with you on this Rick!

Can't believe it's been 3 years since I did this race before my crash . You're right, it is one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz
    how loose is it? generally speaking?
    I don't really know how to quantify loose. Maybe this will help: the only place traction is a big issue (at least for me) is on the first downhill. Its a decomposed granite fire road that sees no vehicle traffic. A few of the turns are off camber and rutted. When I go into a corner too hot and grab a lot of brake my rear wheel skids and it takes forever to slow down. There just isn't much for the tire to grab. Does that help?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Quote Originally Posted by fritzaholic
    Wow, makes you wonder what Team Sycip was eatin that AM for brekky....
    This particular section of the Couch has improved for the better. While the best line is still on the shelf to the riders' left, "The Trench of Terror" is rideable now if you happen to end up there
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005
    What about tree cover? Is the course mostly in among the trees, or is it largely exposed to the ruthless rays of the hot, merciless sun?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    As he is a moto rider himself, or used to be. He was just saying it was a good thing I didn't do the ride I planned on doing Saturday, or I would have had to contended with hundreds of motorcycles, which would have not made for the most pleasant riding conditions.

Small block in the back, nevegal up front, run tubeless, should be a rocken combo for this course.
    Good, I wouldn't think a nor cal boy would be worrying about a moto race. I was out at the dam both sunday and saturday enjoying the upper trail, Didn't seem too dusty (from the race), and I could only hear the race occasionally, then agian I only walked down with the kids about a mile. That upper section of the trail is dusty and has been getting hammered.

Looks like a bit of rain this weekend. won't be enough to knock the dusty down, hope it rains next week, riding a MTB race on the same course as a horse race the week before, on trails that haven't seen rain in over a month. Bring your dust masks. If we get rain I may be a late entry for the intermediate.

Devil Mtn
    Quote Originally Posted by sashax
    What about tree cover? Is the course mostly in among the trees, or is it largely exposed to the ruthless rays of the hot, merciless sun?
    Ya, anyone know the answer to this? After dealing with the heat at NVDC I don't think I'll race the Lemurian if there is a lot of exposed climbing to be done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Hows this for an answer

Some of the climbing is in the sun and some of it is in the Shade. But they do have little kiddy pools along the way for anyone that starts to break a sweat

Seriously though, if its warm at all out, hydration is a major factor in this race. The first year I did it was the first year I cramped big time, and I had been race for about 5 years prior. I ditched the water bottles the next year and carried a camel back so I would drink more. I also carried a bottle of sports drink, and made sure I ate plenty of Goo's. And I'm not one to eat during a race.

Quote Originally Posted by sashax

mind taking
    Is anyone from the Bay Area headed up for this? Im *very* interested in carpooling, would much rather spend the 6hrs with someone, anyone, than motor up alone.

Im also up for meeting along the way, even if we meet up in SacTown.
    Last edited by MichiganMat; 04-18-2008 at 10:10 PM.

mtb'er
    Would riding a rigid singlespeed be a dumb idea?

If it helps, I wouldn't ride my SS in the Downieville Classic, but I did ride it at NVDC last weekend in under 2 hours (walked all the steep climbs in the back).

Thanks!

~~~~~~~
    its suppose to be a great single speed course. i will be riding mine.

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    its suppose to be a great single speed course. i will be riding mine.
    The beginner's course is great on a singlespeed.

Intermediate/long courses - I wouldn't call them "great". Doable, more than. But you will probably be cursing at both the top half of the Gascan climb, and at the top of the Couch. And your calves will have something to complain about when you do that one climb after the first section of the Icebox.

I've done the Whiskeytown, French Gulch, and Shasta Dam versions of this race and this is probably the hardest of the three on a singlespeed.

But don't let that stop you!

Quote Originally Posted by reklar
    After dealing with the heat at NVDC I don't think I'll race the Lemurian if there is a lot of exposed climbing to be done.
    About 2/3 of the biggest climb is heavily shaded. There is an exposed singletrack climb section, but it only takes about 10 mins to climb it. And there is an aid station at the bottom of the big climb (around mile 16) and 2/3 of the way up around mile 19. The last 3 mi mostly dh singletrack section is nicknamed Ice Box, so expect it to be very pleasant.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

Lusus Naturae
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMat
    Is anyone from the Bay Area headed up for this? Im *very* interested in carpooling, would much rather spend the 6hrs with someone, anyone, than motor up alone.

Im also up for meeting along the way, even if we meet up in SacTown.
    Think I'll be doing this race after all. Let me know if you're lookin to carpool still. So far I'm going up solo but can take one person (front wheel removal required).

Now to figure out which version of the course has the most suffering. Hmmm...

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    About 2/3 of the biggest climb is heavily shaded. There is an exposed singletrack climb section, but it only takes about 10 mins to climb it. And there is an aid station at the bottom of the big climb (around mile 16) and 2/3 of the way up around mile 19. The last 3 mi mostly dh singletrack section is nicknamed Ice Box, so expect it to be very pleasant.
    All right, after flaking on this race for the last 2 years I'm registered and geared up for it. Hopefully it won't be too hot this year.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast