Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

see a Video Map Test of water dog loop test

3K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  diver160651 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
That's great. Is it something that you put together, or is there a program that combines it all for you. It would be cool to have this on your garmin or iPhone while you're on the trail.

You know how when you show a video of your ride, the hill always look really flat? I always thought it would be good if the video camera could somehow include the grade of the hill. Your tool is even better.

#10 ·
That's pretty friggin cool! I love how you incorporated the map and elevation in real time. This would be cool to have for every trail!!!

The only thing I would change, is to possibly use a chest mount, I think it gives a better perspective of the trail with the handle bars in the bottom of the picture. Helmet mount just feels like I'm watching someone float over a trail rather than ride it.

#11 ·
jdcatch said:
Awesome! How did you create that????
I originally hoped to screen capture the Garmin flash route replay the use slow motion to sync the truncated Garmin replay - when that turned to be a flop I hand animated it in Adobe After Effects - making sure to copy the Garmin Data Points.

#12 ·
GuruAtma said:
That's great. Is it something that you put together, or is there a program that combines it all for you. It would be cool to have this on your garmin or iPhone while you're on the trail.

You know how when you show a video of your ride, the hill always look really flat? I always thought it would be good if the video camera could somehow include the grade of the hill. Your tool is even better.
I used a compositing program to merge all the Data -- it is basically hand done - I also tested a rear facing mount -- I generally rid with a light and the big battery pack showed up in the test footage -- other than that it is a cool angle if two riders matched pace

#13 ·
stingray4540 said:
That's pretty friggin cool! I love how you incorporated the map and elevation in real time. This would be cool to have for every trail!!!

The only thing I would change, is to possibly use a chest mount, I think it gives a better perspective of the trail with the handle bars in the bottom of the picture. Helmet mount just feels like I'm watching someone float over a trail rather than ride it.
Chest mount? Do you know of one? I think the rear facing with a rider pacing the camera will look cool - I just tested the mount but need to tweak a couple of things like removing my light battery pack -- I should have a test sample up next week - no map data on that one and the rider I shot is NOT very fast.. the hardest thing is keeping pace between the two riders.

#14 ·
johnnyb said:
Nice!
Good combo, is there a way to bookmark the goodstuff?.
If I get enough people who like the map - I'll make chapter points of all the trail crossings and downhill sections so people can jump directly to that spot - the down side is the video will then have a pause at every chapter point - the the thing is so darn long I guess that wouldn't matter..

#15 ·
diver160651 said:
If I get enough people who like the map - I'll make chapter points of all the trail crossings and downhill sections so people can jump directly to that spot - the down side is the video will then have a pause at every chapter point - the the thing is so darn long I guess that wouldn't matter..
I looked at the vid again and I could happily scroll the bar to the point I like by looking at the elevation profile.

Its elegant, you don't need to add bells and whistles. Maybe a tutorial to share would be awesome!

Thanks!

#20 ·
NoBalance said:
REALLY interested in that camera you have. How's the actual battery life? Do you use the SD mode or is it far lower in quality? How about your helmet attachment method?
the battery seems good for about 2.5 hours. It is tiny and a extra battery is only 29.00. I use the stock google mount ant a velcro strap throw the helmet vents. On the rear facing I just strapped it to the frame -- 16 gig card gives me about 2 hours HD -- the thing is supper light and the barrel rotates to accommodate vertical or horizontal mounting -- I have film production business and our HD cameras cost a TON.. this little $300 gadget is the best value by far!! Of course the new wave of high end DSLR shooting HD are amazing too :)

#21 ·
I can see how the rear facing would be kinda cool, especially if you had someone following. But I think forward facing would be better for your combination of map and elevation, this way you actually get to see the trail as you would riding it.

You know I know nothing of these cameras, I don't own one. I'm assuming since you asked that they don't make a chest mount for your camera? I don't think it would be very difficult to rig one. I know I've seen videos using a chest mount, but they could have been using a different camera. Come on over, we'll make one, it'll be a fun project. ;)

#22 ·
#23 ·
Hey, that is really neat. My only complaints are that you skipped some of the interesting line choices (such as the ladder on Rambler), and that you didn't slow down more for the hiker on John Brooks.

Overall, it is an amazing creation, with great riding both up and down.

#24 · (Edited)
kpd said:
Hey, that is really neat. My only complaints are that you skipped some of the interesting line choices (such as the ladder on Rambler), and that you didn't slow down more for the hiker on John Brooks.

Overall, it is an amazing creation, with great riding both up and down.
you right about the hiker... I will say that I was riding with one had signaling hello (waving) thinking that we be ok.. and still getting ready to make moves if the dog bolted.. but still your right - to fast around the hiker - good points. I figured the ladder, riding up berry as well as a couple other areas seemed better to be left out as many people might find those, less than easy to do safely..

Thanks so much for the accurate and valuable input -- Jim

video map http://www.destinationproductions.co...gVideoMap.html

#25 ·
diver160651 said:
Chest mount? Do you know of one? I think the rear facing with a rider pacing the camera will look cool - I just tested the mount but need to tweak a couple of things like removing my light battery pack -- I should have a test sample up next week - no map data on that one and the rider I shot is NOT very fast.. the hardest thing is keeping pace between the two riders.
He's probably referring to a lot of the videos made by the GoPro HD (or non-HD for that matter) cameras. They have a chest harness.....

Great vid. I do that loop all the time and it's just crazy how the camera levels everything out. It makes it misleading especially for newbies because that loop is pretty technical in places.

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.