Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    middle ring single track

"Second Sunday" Trail Work Days at Henry W Coe SP

These "Second Sunday" Trail Work Days are the reconstituted "2nd Saturday" TWDs formerly hosted by the Coe Mountain Bike Patrol; I wasn't sure we'd even be able to pull it off so I didn't bother advertising it here on MTBR. But it did come off without a hitch so I'll bump this thread up prior to future TWD's to prompt any MTBers who might be interested in volunteering.

In the past these TWD's were primarily led by Sorcerer with assistance from other CMBP members, Sorcerer got the ax for being out-spoken ("the lashings shall continue until morale improves") and the focus of the reconstituted CMBP will be on riding patrol with visitor interaction coming first and trail maintenance second. New trail construction is beyond the scope of the CMBP charter. (IMHO anyway)

Underlying all of this is that "new" requirement that all tread work on trails be supervised by CSP staff; the primary staffer for the time being is Ranger Cam Bowers---he'll be the one coordinating these TWDs and with whom RSVPs will communicated. His email is: cameron dot bowers @ parks dot ca dot gov

Further watch the Coe events calendar: Coe Activities Calendar ; you'll find a link there with more information about these TWDs.

So, about today; there was 5 of us---Ranger Cam, myself, Rob (long-time Coe volunteer aka dusty brown here), Dan ( a new uniformed volunteer) and Miguel (a JC student getting some community service hours). At the safety meeting we had to point out that Miguel didn't get the memo about appropriate footwear:

He'll be wiser next time!

Our task for today was to cut the back-slope between the lower 2 corners on the JDT.
    Miguel is cutting the bank away with a pick and Dan and Cam pull the spoils off the trail with McLeods.

Beautiful day for a ride; several groups came through.

Please take me with you!

A gallery of appropriate footwear:

(didn't want Miguel to think we were picking on him)

Here's the finished product:

My usual GoPro time lapse of the morning:

I'd be remiss if I didn't show Sorcerer riding up to say hello:

As did Mrs Sorcerer, Chris aka "SuperStoker":
    Last edited by pliebenberg; 02-11-2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: removed email direct link, added Paul and Chris
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

loopy counter
    This thread needs some legs, so here's an inappropriate photo of inappropriate foot wear.

Seriously, it would be nice if some of the other trails in the park would receive some attention.

PRETENDURO
    How many ticks did Miguel get?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

middle ring single track

Third Saturday TWD

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    How many ticks did Miguel get?
    Zero I think; most of the work could be accomplished by standing on the clear trail. I would have been the one who might have picked some up as I led the hook-line removing the duff. Plus we all sat in the grass for lunch and didn't see any; it just wasn't a good day for ticks!

FWIW there is a Saturday trail-work opportunity at Coe this weekend; this is being promoted by Coe's MAU (horse patrol) volunteers:

"We will probably be working on the Cullen Trail with McLeods and picks. Over the years this trail has become overgrown and washed out in places so it needs to be cleared and widened. Please arrive on time as we will have to head out early to get to the work site. There will be about an hour hike uphill to get to the work site and probably less than an hour hike to get back. We will take vehicles to the Woodchopper Spring area and hike in from there. We will probably stop work around 1pm so we will have time to hike back out to the vehicles.

We will do the trail work rain or shine unless there is heavy rain on the day of the trail work. It will also depend on the road being passable by vehicles. We might work somewhere else if the road is not passable.

Coffee and donuts will be provided before the work begins but since we have to travel to get to the work site, please arrive early so you have time to enjoy them. Be there by 8am if you want coffee and donuts as we plan on leaving by 8:30am.

Bring work gloves, sturdy shoes or boots, water, and a lunch. Work tools will be provided.

Please meet in the Hunting Hollow parking lot and be ready to depart by 8:30am.

Call Chere Bargar at (408) 683-2247.

Getting There

The Coe Park Hunting Hollow entrance is located on Gilroy Hot Springs Road, the same road you take to get to Coyote Reservoir.

To get to the entrances, take Highway 101 to Gilroy (which is about 10 miles south of Morgan Hill and 25 miles south of San Jose). The distance from 101 to the Hunting Hollow entrance is about 9 miles.

Take the Leavesley Road exit (County Road G9) and head east.

After about 1.8 miles, turn left (north) on New Avenue; go a little over half a mile and then turn right (east) on Roop Road. About 3.3 miles up Roop Road, you'll pass the Coyote Reservoir Road on the left.

The Hunting Hollow entrance is about 3.3 miles past the Coyote Reservoir Road turnoff."

(from Coe Activities Calendar )

I'm planning on making this one as I hope to get permission from the staff supervisor to break off and work on some badly needed drain repair on the nearby Jackson Trail.

Plus they have donuts...
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

PRETENDURO
    If I weren’t racing CCCX this weekend I’d consider it.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by pliebenberg View Post

FWIW there is a Saturday trail-work opportunity at Coe this weekend; this is being promoted by Coe's MAU (horse patrol) volunteers:

[I]"We will probably be working on the Cullen Trail with McLeods and picks. Over the years this trail has become overgrown and washed out in places so it needs to be cleared and widened. Please arrive on time as we will have to head out early to get to the work site. There will be about an hour hike uphill to get to the work site and probably less than an hour hike to get back. We will take vehicles to the Woodchopper Spring area and hike in from there. We will probably stop work around 1pm so we will have time to hike back out to the vehicles.

We will do the trail work rain or shine unless there is heavy rain on the day of the trail work. It will also depend on the road being passable by vehicles. We might work somewhere else if the road is not passable.

Coffee and donuts will be provided before the work begins but since we have to travel to get to the work site, please arrive early so you have time to enjoy them. Be there by 8am if you want coffee and donuts as we plan on leaving by 8:30am.

Bring work gloves, sturdy shoes or boots, water, and a lunch. Work tools will be provided.

Please meet in the Hunting Hollow parking lot and be ready to depart by 8:30am.

Call Chere Bargar at (408) 683-2247.
    Which park staff member is supervising the Cullen work?

-D

middle ring single track

I Dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel~ View Post
    Which park staff member is supervising the Cullen work?

-D
    ...could be any of the regular staffers; Ranger Jen N, Ranger Cam B (although it's his day off), Maint. 1 Eric G, Maint Spvr. Randy N, Trails Spvr. John H or none of the above. If what you're hinting at is the double standard applied against bike volunteers yes one exists. From what I can gather the date the MAU was given the go-ahead to work un-supervised by John H was the same day we were being told "maybe in the future". I must add that I have a very good working relationship with Ranger Cam regarding the private mid-week TWDs I've scheduled.

The harsh reality is that the MAU folks are highly unlikely to put in bermed turns, RGDs or log roll-overs, us bikers haven't won the trust of the staff as of yet. Reports that renegade bikers are starting to establish off-trail fall-line routes isn't helping matters any.

I expect this will be a long process, bikers aren't showing up at TWDs partially because of the insult that "they can't be trusted"; until we show up in numbers and show that we can follow the State guidelines no progress will be made in getting permissions reinstated.

You may have noticed that I have completely separated scheduled trail work from the CMBP; that's another story.
    Last edited by pliebenberg; 02-14-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: punk you a shaun

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the work! We're doing the Demo trail day on Saturday, but keep posting this and we'll try to make it in the next few months.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

middle ring single track

Cullen Trail...

...was the recurring objective for Coe's Mounted Assistance Unit TWD; I think the head count was 16---mostly MAU members, a couple kids getting community service time, several "regular" uniformed volunteers and me (the lone biker)

Out in the exposed areas the dirt was already "summer hard"

Here's a GoPro pano in the trees:

Mounted Assistance Unit Trail Work Day in California

The Cullen Trail is most visited by equestrians and hikers as it has been a real PITA to ride with a bike because of many sketchy corners. I had no sooner finished making this switchback bike-able than this group of endurance-type horse folk came through:

A happy customer! They also appreciated the improved turn.

Miguel had learned his lesson about appropriate TW footwear from the previous TWD.

The Cullen Trail receives little use, the track is barely visible at its Grizzly Gulch terminus.

An anonymous benefactor had provided some Plinys---if only some other bikers could have showed up!
    Last edited by pliebenberg; 02-27-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: cleaned up pano embed

Is now still the time?

The Cullen Trail is most visited by equestrians and hikers as it has been a real PITA to ride with a bike because of many sketchy corners. I had no sooner finished making this switchback bike-able than this group of endurance-type horse folk came through:

A happy customer! They also appreciated the improved turn.
    Hey Pliebenberg,

I have to strongly disagree about the Cullen Trail being a PITA for mountain bikers. Strong riders may enjoy this trail. It's tough to get up to the top of though.

Now even more than ever, with recent improvements from this year and last, this trail has become something I look forward to, and perhaps dread, at the end of a ride coming out on Anza Trail. The correct direction to ride this on a bike is from Anza to Grizzly Gulch. From the Anza junction, it takes about ten of the tougher Coe minutes to get to the high point of the Cullen Trail, walking or riding.

At the high meadow, a beautiful overlook of the Coyote Creek, the Osos Valley, Spike Jones Ridge, and the Palasou reward the weary traveler's travails in generous proportion. From thereon, you follow an action packed steep hillside contour trail, punctuated with a few careful gulch crossings, a few rocky technical moments of decision, and some of tightest and steepest more strangely laid out, yet genius switchbacks (which all beg for continuous improvement and maintenance). There is much here to delight the lover of steep places (and terrify the acrophobic).

You pass a fascinating spring, with it's rube-goldberg assortment of pipes overhanging roots and abandoned troughs, places to sit etc. (maddening flies in season), which is a very reliable source of water, before the final ludicrously and hilariously steep zig-zags to a rocky gulch bottom crossing (which is the final technical challenge to clean on a bike, hint: go around the tree on the opposite bank to the right), that delivers you to the middle of the Grizzly Gulch Trail plunge below the Rock Tower Trail junction.

Climbing the bike up from Anza is fairly grueling. I shouldn't boast, but I have cleaned this on both rides up these two past weekends.

From Anza you cross a flat meadow, which I call Turkey Meadow, and cross down across a dry gravel stream-bed and up the other side onto a leafy trail bed, generously loamed with twigs, under the dense shade of an oaken canopy. Sometimes it is hard to see the trail, but have faith as it goes steeply up to the right. If you can keep pedaling you come to a gentle climbing turn left and soon you come to some relief of freshly benched, last year, trail.

Take your time because the crux, a right hand and steep sharp switchback, is coming up next. I figure if I can make it around this, I can probably do the whole thing without dabbing, if I keep my cool. But it doesn't relent for steepness much, and the leaves and twigs always threaten that desperate rear wheel traction. After a small eternity relief comes as the trail properly crosses a drainage, which it dips into on a right turn, providing respite, but is also hard to see for the first timer, and somewhat of a balance problem.

If you make it past this bit, then the rest is all just plugging away, except one right handed steep switchback, which used to be the crux until I sanitized it last year to a pinch point between two boulders. From there, just follow the diagony upward as it carves the grassy hill and intensely burst out into the sky: the aforementioned top.
    SOrCerer

middle ring single track

past tense

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    Hey Pliebenberg,

I have to strongly disagree about the Cullen Trail being a PITA for mountain bikers. Strong riders may enjoy this trail. It's tough to get up to the top of though.

Now even more than ever, with recent improvements from this year and last, this trail has become something I look forward to, and perhaps dread, at the end of a ride coming out on Anza Trail. The correct direction to ride this on a bike is from Anza to Grizzly Gulch. From the Anza junction, it takes about ten of the tougher Coe minutes to get to the high point of the Cullen Trail, walking or riding.

At the high meadow, a beautiful overlook of the Coyote Creek, the Osos Valley, Spike Jones Ridge, and the Palasou reward the weary traveler's travails in generous proportion. From thereon, you follow an action packed steep hillside contour trail, punctuated with a few careful gulch crossings, a few rocky technical moments of decision, and some of tightest and steepest more strangely laid out, yet genius switchbacks (which all beg for continuous improvement and maintenance). There is much here to delight the lover of steep places (and terrify the acrophobic).

You pass a fascinating spring, with it's rube-goldberg assortment of pipes overhanging roots and abandoned troughs, places to sit etc. (maddening flies in season), which is a very reliable source of water, before the final ludicrously and hilariously steep zig-zags to a rocky gulch bottom crossing (which is the final technical challenge to clean on a bike, hint: go around the tree on the opposite bank to the right), that delivers you to the middle of the Grizzly Gulch Trail plunge below the Rock Tower Trail junction.

Climbing the bike up from Anza is fairly grueling. I shouldn't boast, but I have cleaned this on both rides up these two past weekends.

From Anza you cross a flat meadow, which I call Turkey Meadow, and cross down across a dry gravel stream-bed and up the other side onto a leafy trail bed, generously loamed with twigs, under the dense shade of an oaken canopy. Sometimes it is hard to see the trail, but have faith as it goes steeply up to the right. If you can keep pedaling you come to a gentle climbing turn left and soon you come to some relief of freshly benched, last year, trail.

Take your time because the crux, a right hand and steep sharp switchback, is coming up next. I figure if I can make it around this, I can probably do the whole thing without dabbing, if I keep my cool. But it doesn't relent for steepness much, and the leaves and twigs always threaten that desperate rear wheel traction. After a small eternity relief comes as the trail properly crosses a drainage, which it dips into on a right turn, providing respite, but is also hard to see for the first timer, and somewhat of a balance problem.

If you make it past this bit, then the rest is all just plugging away, except one right handed steep switchback, which used to be the crux until I sanitized it last year to a pinch point between two boulders. From there, just follow the diagony upward as it carves the grassy hill and intensely burst out into the sky: the aforementioned top.
    FWIW I said "has been a real PITA" referring to its condition prior to the last 2 seasons of effort put into salvaging the trail. Just prior to that work the trail bench had completely disappeared in a couple of spots; I've got video to prove it!

I don't disagree that it's a fun MTB trail (or why would I keep riding it?) but it's not for everybody. Bill's Hill anybody?

Here's a pano of the Cullen Spring:
    27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,28,0" id="_360_krpano_id_487541" name="_360_krpano_name_487541" width="960" height="480">
    Cullen Spring in California

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    …Now even more than ever, with recent improvements from this year and last, this trail has become something I look forward to, and perhaps dread, at the end of a ride coming out on Anza Trail. The correct direction to ride this on a bike is from Anza to Grizzly Gulch. From the Anza junction, it takes about ten of the tougher Coe minutes to get to the high point of the Cullen Trail, walking or riding.

Paul/Sorcerer is the best writer in mountain biking.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

middle ring single track

One Week Notice for Sunday March 10th

Just a bump for that rare breed of volunteer who'll help the Parks no matter what!

Here's tjhspapa and me working on Turn #2 yesterday:

The music was YouTube's first choice; I went with it because it highlights the monotony of it all!

Confirmation of planned TWD forthcoming next week sometime...
    Last edited by pliebenberg; 02-28-2013 at 12:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Here's tjhspapa and me working on Turn #2 yesterday
    Thanks for the video, Paul! It seems you chose a rather opportune time to end the footage. Our little secret?

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by tjhspapa View Post
    Thanks for the video, Paul! It seems you chose a rather opportune time to end the footage. Our little secret?
    Yeah; our little "secret"---it seems that the GoPro SD card filled up before you lost control of your wheelbarrow resulting in a spectacular OTB. No one will ever know...

mtbr member
    Yeah; our little "secret"---it seems that the GoPro SD card filled up before you lost control of your wheelbarrow resulting in a spectacular OTB. No one will ever know...
    Hah! And here I thought you were being honorable.

Never trust a man who doesn't go anywhere without his GoPro.

middle ring single track
    Quote Originally Posted by tjhspapa View Post
    Hah! And here I thought you were being honorable.

Never trust a man who doesn't go anywhere without his GoPro.
    Honorable!?!?

This from Mister Come Late Leave Early?

If you would have hung around you'd seen that we nearly finished the corner save for the drain and the back-slope:

More Torque
    ...was the recurring objective for Coe's Mounted Assistance Unit TWD; I think the head count was 16---mostly MAU members, a couple kids getting community service time, several "regular" uniformed volunteers and me (the lone biker)--if only some other bikers could have showed up!
    I can't say that I've been a huge Cullen fan over the years; it never seems to work well at either the beginning or the end of a ride.

Having said that, I rode it last weekend, and with your recent work, it is much improved. I always forget how long it its, and it is quite a pretty trail.

Thanks for putting in the effort.

-D
    Last edited by Diesel~; 02-28-2013 at 05:22 PM. Reason: grammar

middle ring single track
    I can't say that I've been a huge Cullen fan over the years. I never seems to work well at either the beginning or the end of a ride.

Having said that, I rode it last weekend, and with your recent work, it is much improved. I always forget how long it its, and it is quite a pretty trail.

Thanks for putting in the effort.

-D
    If they ever get the proposed re-route of the lower Grizzly Gulch Trail signed off I think the Cullen Trial will enjoy a surge in popularity. Currently it's sort of a "bucket list" trail, not much of a short cut between Anza and Grizzly being as it dumps onto Grizzly at Grizzly's worst. I really like the upper 3/4 of Grizzly; that bottom 1/4 sort of spoils it.

Here's the finishing work on the JDT Turn #2 from today:

No tjhspapa today, I think my GoPro scared him off! As one can see from the dust the soil is getting a little too dry to work; a little more touch-up is in order if/when the rains return but otherwise that turn is mostly done.

Photobucket
    Back-slope and drain cut in. The evil GoPro can be seen on the log.

loopy counter
    If they ever get the proposed re-route of the lower Grizzly Gulch Trail signed off I think the Cullen Trial will enjoy a surge in popularity. Currently it's sort of a "bucket list" trail, not much of a short cut between Anza and Grizzly being as it dumps onto Grizzly at Grizzly's worst. I really like the upper 3/4 of Grizzly; that bottom 1/4 sort of spoils it.

To each his own. I don't mind pushing my bike up Griz every now and then, and I really dig it downhill.
    I actually liked Cullen when it was a scratch trail.

More Torque

Here's the finishing work on the JDT Turn #2 from today:
    Back-slope and drain cut in. The evil GoPro can be seen on the log.
    It is pretty amazing that if you climb Griz to Cullen to Anza, you fell like you've hardly gone anywhere, but you've already gained over 1,000 feet in elevation.

The quality of work on that stretch of JDT is great. Keeping mind the "standard", those types of turns can end up being hazardous for riders. Downhill + loose over hard + outslope = front tire washout and subsequent yard sale. Been there too many times, often in spectacular fashion. Not a criticism of you, just noting the irony in the oft misguided "official" nod to safety and sustainability.

-D

middle ring single track
    It is pretty amazing that if you climb Griz to Cullen to Anza, you fell like you've hardly gone anywhere, but you've already gained over 1,000 feet in elevation.

The quality of work on that stretch of JDT is great. Keeping mind the "standard", those types of turns can end up being hazardous for riders. Downhill + loose over hard + outslope = front tire washout and subsequent yard sale. Been there too many times, often in spectacular fashion. Not a criticism of you, just noting the irony in the oft misguided "official" nod to safety and sustainability.

-D
    Well put Diesel; yep just following orders---I thought the corner as a climbing turn was fine as it was. But at over 20% grade the State trails guy said it had to be changed; now it's around 12%.

I've left the flagging purposely in place as a heads-up for anybody coming down the hill with a full head of steam; the corner's tighter, off-camber and very loose right now.

There's a certain irony in that left un-maintained corners such as these will eventually build up a berm naturally and become what the State is trying to avoid!

Rain dance anyone?

Medium?
    I expect this will be a long process, bikers aren't showing up at TWDs partially because of the insult that "they can't be trusted"; until we show up in numbers and show that we can follow the State guidelines no progress will be made in getting permissions reinstated.
    In my mind this is like saying the kids can't come back in from recess until they prove to the teachers that they love math and want to learn. F*ck that. I'm happy to ride it as it is.

"The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec."

middle ring single track

Reminder; it's "that time of the month"

Sunday, March 10th will be another scheduled Trail Work Day in Henry W Coe SP; as usual we'll be meeting at the Hunting Hollow lot and working on the lower portions of the Jim Donnelly Trail. Ranger Cameron Bowers will be leading the TWD; I expect we'll mostly be cutting back-slope and some bench-widening.

This storm should return the soil to good "diggin"!

Pacheco Camp has recorded almost half an inch thus far:
    "Second Sunday" Trail Work Days at Henry W Coe SP-untitled.jpg

More info can be found at the Coe Activities Calendar

Free Coe Park map to first-time volunteers; second time gets you a tee shirt. (Third time you get another "thank you" and satisfaction!)

Please RSVP by either posting here or contacting Ranger Cam; his email is: cameron dot bowers @ parks dot ca dot gov

middle ring single track

Another 700 feet...

...of the JDT was finished to "spec" today; between turns #2 and #3 and a bit beyond.

Towards the end of the time lapse it appears that Ranger Cam is closely watching us "Cool Hand Luke" style; what's really going on is a discussion about Coe's website.

Ranger Cam actually did his fair share of the digging:

Complete with a Glock and Kevlar vest:

That's tjhspapa to Cam's left; so our crew was 2 bikers, 3 hikers, Ranger Cam and tjhspapa's young son.

Here I'm showing him how to set up a GoPro to do time lapse photography:

About in the middle of the time lapse you can see him raking off the spoils with a McLeod like crazy!

Quite a few bikers were out enjoying the fabulous weather:

Everybody passing through was very appreciative of our work; always good to to hear the "thank you's"!

It's kinda funny that building to State spec sometimes creates "features" like this rather long wall-ride:

We had a debate in regards to how fast you'd have to hit it given the long radius and the 45 degree banking; way over the speed limit no doubt:
    Some math needs to be done!?!? Guesses anybody?

Go for it Sorcerer!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast