Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hell you talmbout
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Nobody goes anymore, it's too crowded.
    Oh, yeah. Lol
    I just stumbled across a meeting for clumsy people.

Hell you talmbout
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    ^^^
    ^^^

Trail Gnome
    ^^^

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Now, that's good.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Looking forward to going on Friday! I first attended in 2015 and had a blast. Coming down from Seattle.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Hell you talmbout
    No dogs allowed, right?

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    No dogs allowed, right?
    From SO web site....

"Sorry, dogs are not allowed in the Festival-Expo-Sea Otter Village, including the racing areas. This will be strictly enforced.

The only area at Laguna Seca Recreation Area where dogs will be allowed—although not recommended—is at the owner’s campsite and owner’s specific (reserved) campground. Dogs must be leashed at all times. For details, please refer to the Dogs at Campsites—Rules and Regulations page under “Camping Adventure” in the “Camping and Lodging” section of our website.

Kennels. Non-residents attending the Sea Otter Classic may wish to take advantage of one of the many local kennels that offer boarding for your pet.

Pet-Friendly Lodging Providers. Non-residents who prefer to lodge with their pet, and are seeking an alternative to camping at Laguna Seca, will be glad to know that some lodging providers who offer discounted rates to Sea Otter visitors are also pet-friendly, including Hyatt Regency, Monterey; Los Laureles Lodge, Carmel Valley; and Mariposa Inn and Suites, Monterey. Beyond those lodging providers, you will also find this resource helpful: the SPCA of Monterey County’s list of pet-friendly lodging providers.

Playing Around Monterey County. If you are looking forward to also visiting other Monterey County recreational areas during Sea Otter week—perhaps including a walk on the beach with your four-legged friend—check out the SPCA’s list of pet-friendly recreation areas. You’ll learn which beaches allow leashed dogs, which allow them to run free, and other useful information. Hot tip: If Carl and Daisy are hoping to make some new canine friends, they’ll find Carmel Beach is dog heaven!"

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    year 22 for me and my family...haven't missed one in that time. camping in the same spots up in grand prix we usually have.
    Support local trail-building: www.mbosc.org
    Help our most vulnerable population: www.goodkarmabikes.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    The poison oak is well under control. I believe the goats ate most of the young sprigs in many areas.

-Yeah, on Ord-Proper things are pretty good.
    Head over to the East Garrison side and it's boomin'!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

Hella Olde
    HAHA!! Said by Yogi Berra, i believe.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I'll be there Friday morning and will GTFO by mid afternoon at the latest to drive back down to SLO.

Regarding Paid Passes, I ask and never get an answer so we'll see this year. I have always bought the bracelet but have never determined what that gets me. Nobody has ever checked nor have I ever been to a point where anybody is watching for the credential. I just go into vendor area and look at all the shit in the booths and bail. Is it a requirement to have a paid pass to do that?
    They check me everytime I cross the Cooper Tires bridge fron the racetrack paddock into the Expo. I would check me, too.

fc
    honcho Administrator
    So the Mtbr booth is a big 20x20 at the old location and it's going to be a lounge and bike parking area manned by the great Aussie Bob and you guys.

Get out there, park and hang out. It's for us to meet and decompress.

More details coming.

fc
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Going to be home recovering from shoulder surgery. Does anyone know if any of the races will be live streamed?
    As was mentioned earlier, checkout https://www.redbull.tv for (no SOC coverage, but) the round 1 UCI WC DH race from the island of Losinj, Croatia goes off live Sunday AM - Women's at 3:30 AM PDT, Men's 5:00 AM PDT There are Replays later in the day, too. Heal up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    manned by the great Aussie Bob
    AB's been a regular in my campspots for probably 15 years running at this point. 'Priceless'
    Support local trail-building: www.mbosc.org
    Help our most vulnerable population: www.goodkarmabikes.org

Hella Olde
    Sweet! Is it true that you'll have a separate VIP corral for Dentists?

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    XX1 eagle gold or XTR Di2 required for entry.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Hella Olde
    Yes, and dry clean the Rapha!

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Does Kitsbow count?
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

Hell you talmbout
    No, but there WILL be one for us rabid anti-dentites!

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Does Kitsbow count?
    I had to Google it so I guess it probably does count.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    FP, thats cool! If I remember, I'll bring some of those "Thelma" cable hangers that you can use for a key chain, necklace, bike ornament, etc. You'll have to stop by and check out the Exodux MultitaskR.
    EXODUX Jeff

Over it
    Jun 2010
    "I had to Google it so I guess it probably does count."

Anything associated with Jeff Kendall-Weed automatically gets its own corral.

If you have to Google JKW then you will only be given access to the children's events.
    Nice e-bike! (sorry about your penis)

The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    not until Sat this year...5th timer

mtbr member

To bike or not to bike?

I'm going up solo on Friday, in order to spend some quality time (mainly drooling over the shiny new parts at the vendor booths. Friday night the wife and kids (6, 8, and 11) are coming up, and Saturday we're doing the kids races, etc.

I'm debating whether it would be better to bring my bike or not. On Friday it would be handy to have it to get around, and with fewer crowds pushing a bike around the vendor area shouldn't be too much hassle. Saturday though, it might be more of a burden.

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    I'm going up solo on Friday, in order to spend some quality time (mainly drooling over the shiny new parts at the vendor booths. Friday night the wife and kids (6, 8, and 11) are coming up, and Saturday we're doing the kids races, etc.

I'm debating whether it would be better to bring my bike or not. On Friday it would be handy to have it to get around, and with fewer crowds pushing a bike around the vendor area shouldn't be too much hassle. Saturday though, it might be more of a burden.
    My friend is doing the exact same thing. Solo mission during the week then the kids come on the weekend. That's the best way to do it, specially with young ones. That way when the kids are there, you can say:

"Daddy is here for you kids 100%. Let's go sticker hunting!"
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I'll still be home with my new-knee routine; Dilaudid, +40 minutes, ice 20 min, PT 1hr, ice 20 min, nap, & repeat ...

I got to ride a Pivot Shuttle 2 days before surgery, so I'm deeply in LUST again already! ;-)

Post photos & video links please!

Catfish ...

pewpewpew Moderator
    OH hi! Aosty and I will be there Thurs-Sat. I'm doing a ladies ride, probably also the gravel grinder fondo on Saturday. And looking for all the other oldsters wandering around.
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy View Post
    OH hi! Aosty and I will be there Thurs-Sat. I'm doing a ladies ride, probably also the gravel grinder fondo on Saturday. And looking for all the other oldsters wandering around.
    Any info on the Friday night downtown movie premier? Looks like the regular venue has a show that night.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    -The weather is setting up PERFECTLY for See Harder weekend. . . . .

Rained last night & this morning plus we have a little sumpin'-sumpin' in the forecast for Wed. night. Low-Mid 70's for the weekend!

\m/
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

I just wanna go fast!
    yeah, just enough rain to get the poison oak to grow another 4 feet before thursday.

mtbr member
    Pro-Tip:

Take your collar off of your dog.

Find random dude to drop of at SPCA

Pick up dog across the street, on your way out of Laguna Seca on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog View Post
    From SO web site....

"Sorry, dogs are not allowed in the Festival-Expo-Sea Otter Village, including the racing areas. This will be strictly enforced.

The only area at Laguna Seca Recreation Area where dogs will be allowed—although not recommended—is at the owner’s campsite and owner’s specific (reserved) campground. Dogs must be leashed at all times. For details, please refer to the Dogs at Campsites—Rules and Regulations page under “Camping Adventure” in the “Camping and Lodging” section of our website.

Kennels. Non-residents attending the Sea Otter Classic may wish to take advantage of one of the many local kennels that offer boarding for your pet.

Pet-Friendly Lodging Providers. Non-residents who prefer to lodge with their pet, and are seeking an alternative to camping at Laguna Seca, will be glad to know that some lodging providers who offer discounted rates to Sea Otter visitors are also pet-friendly, including Hyatt Regency, Monterey; Los Laureles Lodge, Carmel Valley; and Mariposa Inn and Suites, Monterey. Beyond those lodging providers, you will also find this resource helpful: the SPCA of Monterey County’s list of pet-friendly lodging providers.

Playing Around Monterey County. If you are looking forward to also visiting other Monterey County recreational areas during Sea Otter week—perhaps including a walk on the beach with your four-legged friend—check out the SPCA’s list of pet-friendly recreation areas. You’ll learn which beaches allow leashed dogs, which allow them to run free, and other useful information. Hot tip: If Carl and Daisy are hoping to make some new canine friends, they’ll find Carmel Beach is dog heaven!"

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    yeah, just enough rain to get the poison oak to grow another 4 feet before thursday.
    I feel sorry for the out of town racers. They have no idea what's about to hit em. #notright
    IPA will save America

SOG
    mtbr member
    Picking up packet Friday and my 12year old is racing the DH Saturday morning. Not sticking around for anything just race and out.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtvert View Post
    "I had to Google it so I guess it probably does count."

Anything associated with Jeff Kendall-Weed automatically gets its own corral.

If you have to Google JKW then you will only be given access to the children's events.
    Agreed - that kid is a legend. I wear cutoff thriftstore work pants

mtbr member
    I feel sorry for the out of town racers. They have no idea what's about to hit em. #notright
    True story:

me "Dude, you're standing in poison oak"

dude: "What's poison oak?"

mtbr member
    I rode there yesterday and the Enduro courses aren’t bad. Poison oak is definitely abundant, but it’s not hanging over the trail at all. Unless you are cutting all the insides through the bushes, I think you should be fine.

Hella Olde

fc - I know you like to follow the PO situation. The shit HAS grown 2-4 feet between last weekend and yesterday!!!! Big waving branches of shiny, oil-laden goodness along some the enduro/XC segments. People are going to be bringing home a north-central CA souvenir. Is it wrong to chuckle a little about that? Euros are gonna be WTF?!?!? heheheh. I can't help it. I will have caught a little case myself yesterday....just waiting.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I rode there yesterday and the Enduro courses aren’t bad. Poison oak is definitely abundant, but it’s not hanging over the trail at all. Unless you are cutting all the insides through the bushes, I think you should be fine.
    With an early Thursday start, you know a bunch of people are gonna be racing blind (me last year) and some of those corners come up on you fast!

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by SOG View Post
    Picking up packet Friday and my 12year old is racing the DH Saturday morning. Not sticking around for anything just race and out.
    What if the kid podiums?

mtbr member
    My wife and I will be staying Th-Su. I'm racing XC Sunday. Camping in Chaparral with our teardrop trailer. We haven't been there in a few years. Looking forward to having fun.

SOG
    mtbr member
    What if the kid podiums?
    Nah he only cares about the end result. He's antisocial like his old man - wish he was more like his Mom.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Question: for the Cat 3 Mens DH practice, about how many practice runs can you get in during in the hour allotted?

Also unrelated to SOC, if they remove the "MAZDWAY RACEWAY" signage on the bridge across the straight, how will you know what to aim for to ensure you are set up for turn 1 and pointing at the third telephone pole as you come over the crest??
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

Dropshot Champ!
    Didn't think it was in the cards this year (flying out shortly after), but looks like we'll be there thurs-sat.

I'll probably have a kid on my back in a green Osprey, sipping a beer. Say hi!

Bringing a bike, might jump into a race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    I'll probably have a kid on my back in a green Osprey, sipping a beer.
    Bro, don't let your kid drink beer.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    Question: for the Cat 3 Mens DH practice, about how many practice runs can you get in during in the hour allotted?

Also unrelated to SOC, if they remove the "MAZDWAY RACEWAY" signage on the bridge across the straight, how will you know what to aim for to ensure you are set up for turn 1 and pointing at the third telephone pole as you come over the crest??

2 runs I'd guess. Depends on lines. Lines are why I'm skipping the DH for the first time ever.

Look for WeatherGuard, most Mazda signs came down a week or two ago.

I just wanna go fast!
    2 runs I'd guess. Depends on lines. Lines are why I'm skipping the DH for the first time ever.

If you manage to show up and start practice on Thursday, you will get a ton of runs. I think the crowd increases at an exponential rate every day after that. Plan for maybe 1 recon run on race day... unless someone gets broken off in practice. Then maybe none.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by SOG View Post
    Nah he only cares about the end result. He's antisocial like his old man - wish he was more like his Mom.
    A lot of the groms I've talked to in line only race to style the jumps at the top and get a picture of themselves. Not concerned with where they finish. Unlike the old guys, who are super-competitive ex-motocross racers who crawl out of their scorpion-infested SoCal desert caves annually to dominate the podium. 1980 Yamaha Factory Supercross Champion, Mike 'Too-Tall Bell, for example. Much respect to Mike if you read this! Google that legend.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_510 View Post
    Bro, don't let your kid drink beer.
    These hazy NE ipa's all look like juice anyways.

Hella Olde
    For those of us doing the Enduro, Thursday day is spent. I will get 2 runs on the DH course that AM as part of the Enduro, however -1 practice, 1 race.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    RE, Poison Oak,

For anyone pre-riding the XC course, bring some hand clippers and cut out a little bit. If 10 or more people do it, it won't be hard to get the worst of it out. I put in about an hour last year, and got the worst of it out. Lets make it a team effort this year. I was likely the only one that cut any out.

Hell you talmbout

WeatherTech.

Signed up for a 5-year sponsorship of the raceway.

https://sportscarchampionship.imsa.c...-logo-released

WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca

Hell you talmbout
    Quote Originally Posted by tandemJim View Post
    RE, Poison Oak,

For anyone pre-riding the XC course, bring some hand clippers and cut out a little bit. If 10 or more people do it, it won't be hard to get the worst of it out. I put in about an hour last year, and got the worst of it out. Lets make it a team effort this year. I was likely the only one that cut any out.
    That's what stokers are for.

fc
    honcho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tandemJim View Post
    RE, Poison Oak,

This is the only way. It will save hundreds from misery.
    IPA will save America

Paper or plastic?
    Plan is to drive to Laguna seca early Sunday morning with wife and kid. Look at shiny bikes for a few hours and come back. Think it will be my 12 or 13th time there.

Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    WeatherTech.

Signed up for a 5-year sponsorship of the raceway.

https://sportscarchampionship.imsa.c...-logo-released

WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca

Yes, I am a big dummy. I've been there the last 4 weekends and still got it wrong...

fc
    honcho Administrator
    The Mtbr tent is up at Sea Otter is up now and it is a lounge + bike paddock where folks can hang out, relax, park their bikes and chill with food and drink. Drop in and say hi.Sea Otter roll call-30707846_10212724239153340_8134820800545947648_n.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Heading down early on Friday. Riding some mixed terrain with the Giant rep and my shop owner aka meandering and hanging out.

Dinner with Giant, but that gives me a while to walk around and check things out. See y'all there!

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Yay, stomach flu. So much for us going.

If anyone catches a chance get pics and try out the new Surly Lowside and let me know your thoughts. It's replacing the 1x1.

Bonus points if you can name the trails and town the video was done in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    anyone knows if i can purchase the ticket on line in order to avoid the queue? thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'll likely be out Saturday wandering around, getting a sunburn, and taking photos.

mtbr member
    Finished the Enduro. Huge struggle for me. I think I was under the false impression that since my endurance was good, that my sprinting fitness was also good. Wrong. In all the stages my legs felt like bricks every time I went to mash on the pedals.

Oh well, no crashes at least.

Paper or plastic?
    Any interesting new thing there?

Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 279