mtbr member

New question here. Sea Otter Parking?

Where's the best place to park if you don't want to park in the S.O. parking lots. Last year it took for ever to get in and out of the venue, so this year I wanted to park outside the venue and ride the bike in. Any ideas where a safe and easily accessible area is to park.

Much appreciated.

I am lost, I'm no guide

You sure last year?

2 years ago, when you had to pay to park, it took over an hour to park once I got to Laguna Seca. Last year, they changed the format so parking was free and if you were racing you got into the festival free. If you were there to spectate, you have to buy a spectator pass. As far as I'm concerned, this fixed the prob, as I was in and out w/i 10 minutes both days I went.
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by 7HVN
    Where's the best place to park if you don't want to park in the S.O. parking lots. Last year it took for ever to get in and out of the venue, so this year I wanted to park outside the venue and ride the bike in. Any ideas where a safe and easily accessible area is to park.

Much appreciated.
    Last year I had no trouble, I recall parking in a grass area away from the "main area" and having an easy walk/ride to the venue after squeezing through a half-open gate. It was free, IIRC. Kevin email me direct or give me a call if you want to talk more about parking. When are you getting down there? Not sure what they're doing this year, but I got this email yesterday:

"All vehicles with 3 or more people may take advantage of preferential parking near Registration and the entrance to Sea Otter Village."

I figure your best bet is to park slightly away from the action and just ride your bike to the Expo/Registration area.

PONCHO
    Feb 2005
    Well, coming from Salinas, there is a little access gate about 3 miles before the Laguna seca entrance that is probably the best bet. You basically park there, go through the gate and climb for about three miles until you get to the corkscrew side of laguna seca. I wouldnt advise you do this because I rode that trail today and it was pretty messed up. But its good because after a long day of spectating its an all dh ride back to the car. You can park off the road in a parking lot or in the development adjacent to it(probably safer). But its easy to get lost, so pay attention to where you are going.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Does it make sense to take a MTB when just watching races and visiting the vendor area? Can it be locked somewhere securely?

Is the rest of Ford Ord open to ride?

PONCHO
    Feb 2005
    Yes, it does make good sense becasue it can be quite a walk from the vendor to slalom and back several times. You can keep your bike with you at all times. Im not so sure about locking it. Yes, the rest of fort ord is still open to the ride.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto'n'PushBiker
    Does it make sense to take a MTB when just watching races and visiting the vendor area? Can it be locked somewhere securely?
    This is not a problem. Two questions: Are you an XL and what's your combination?

Thanks,

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)