mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Scott’s Flat Trail

Hey guys I like to hit the Hoot trail then hit Scoots Flat trail I normally come back up on Scott’s Flat Rd, my question is there a better way to come back up besides riding the trail back up?

mtbr member
    I used the road i thinks probably the quickest.

mtbr member
    Hey, You have a few options.

This time of year since the bottom part is pretty sloppy I turn around when I hit the old fire road which is about a half mile below the bench. Then I turn around climb and hit the Hoot.

If you decide to go all the way to bottom you eventually hit the paved Casci Rd. If you go left on Casci Rd this will take you all the way back up to the pioneer trail a bit below White Cloud and above the Youth Conservation Camp Rd.The traffic on Casci is pretty mellow but be mindful of hogging the road so the local home owners don't get angry with mountain bikers, although some of them already totally hate us. I'm a verbal abuse survivor.

Last Option would be climbing Scotts Flat Rd back to the top. This is great if you are a roadie in training or just love the feeling of cars whizzing past you with little regard for your life. I have personally never done this and I live in Nevada City. Scotts was built with a 3-5% grade so it was meant to be climbed.

Enjoy,

mtbr member
    Ha! Ha! I do them all depending on the ride but my preference is the road. It's such a mellow spin back up and I'm just personally averse to o/b's. Traffic has never been a problem but I'm not usually riding there on boat-busy summer weekends and that may explain it. And luckily I've never had an issue on Casci. Hope that's not a jinx!