Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Schwalbe tires for Downieville

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  chaingangster 
#1 ·
Have you guys run the 2012 and up Nobby Nic 2.25 Evo/pacestar/snakeskin in the back? How's the sidewall holding up? I have mine setup with stans sealant and I'm a little worried about the sidewalls although I've never had any problems with them since 2010 but I've also never been to Downieville... I don't want to tear my sidewalls during my run there.

I have Stumpy FSR Evo 26er.

Please advise. Thanks!

#5 ·
You can get a hole in your tire anyplace you ride.. But I think any normal side walled tire will hold up just fine. I wouldn't suggest a super light XC type of tire. I myself run Hans dampf trail star with about 30 psi rear and 27 up front for Dville Have fun! Cannot wait to go!

#9 ·
I'll have HD in the front. Still trying to figure out which rear to use. I also have the weir wolf 2.3 TCS but don't like it drifting around the corners.

Don't care if the NoNic wears out fast. I just want to know if the sidewall is strong enough for dville since I'm running tubeless.

Thx

#10 ·
Schwalbe is not the best tire for Downieville because the knobs tear off after a few runs.

But if you must, Pacestar (hardest) compound is best.

And their best tire is the the Hans Dampf Super Gravity. Super Gravity is their new casing that is downhill strength on the sides but supple on the top. This allows the tire to not only survive rocks but be more stable as well and run a couple psi less. The soft top/tread casing allows the tire to be supple on the rocks.

fc

#11 ·
Spent the last week riding in Downieville with the NN's and they feel like you are riding on beach balls, even at lower pressure. Most of the knobs are ripped off, and I am lucky I guess that I didn't slice a sidewall as they are quite thin.
Aside from them going away so quickly, the beach ball effect was the worst. I am switching back to Maxxis High Roller II's.

#13 ·
I have Hans Dampf tires up from and Nobby Nics in the back and primarily ride Auburn but plan on going to Downieville and Northstar this summer. I like the way the bike handles but the rear tires is wearing out real fast. Can someone recommend a good rear tire for the areas that I ride that will handle as good or better than the Nobby Nic and maybe last a little longer.
Thx, Pete

#15 ·
Personally I have had good luck with the Fat Alberts in UST. These are the older style however and I am going to try Hans Dampfs this year. WTB tires are always a good choice up there, Weirwolfs or Wolverines, or a mix thereof.

#18 ·
Hans Dampf Super G. I just got a set and I'm getting some great times on blown out local trails, times that are competitive against people that ran the same trail when it was in velcro conditions. Trailstar up front, Pacestar out back.

#20 ·
Pacestar lasts longer - harder compound. I think the hans dampf is a great all round tire. Not the quickest, but traction is fantastic. I ran the "normal" hans dampf in downieville last year with no issues. This year will run the Super Gravity, as I like to have some insurance against those rocks. I have also run larger Nobby Nics on the rear up in Downieville, and Tahoe - 2.4" in pacestar - with no problems.

#23 ·
Those Saguaro's like to drift a bit, but they're fast and the TNT have durable casings. Good tire, but probably not my 1st choice for Downieville. Highroller 2.3 UST are durable, predictable and roll decently for an aggressive tire. Good combo for Downieville! Haven't got to try the II yet...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.