just ride
    Oct 2006

Schwalbe tires for Downieville

Have you guys run the 2012 and up Nobby Nic 2.25 Evo/pacestar/snakeskin in the back? How's the sidewall holding up? I have mine setup with stans sealant and I'm a little worried about the sidewalls although I've never had any problems with them since 2010 but I've also never been to Downieville... I don't want to tear my sidewalls during my run there.

I have Stumpy FSR Evo 26er.

Please advise. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I poked a hole through mine last year on a pre-ride. Ran over a large branch that had a small sharp side branch that poked right through the tire. Before that I had no problems with the tire. But I ended up using a Weirwolf, I think it was the 2.3.
    My Cycling Videos: Vimeo | YouTube | My Website

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    should b fine, like any descent tire..just dont ride like a hack !!! lol.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by burpp View Post
    should b fine, like any descent tire..just dont ride like a hack !!! lol.
    I've e gotten holes in big Betty and. FA rear 2.4 u dee the tread at Dville. Spesh purg 2.4 armadillo is only tire I have t flatted yet up there tubeless

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You can get a hole in your tire anyplace you ride.. But I think any normal side walled tire will hold up just fine. I wouldn't suggest a super light XC type of tire. I myself run Hans dampf trail star with about 30 psi rear and 27 up front for Dville Have fun! Cannot wait to go!

eBiker
    Big Betty and Hans Dampf get huge thumbs up from me in Downieville. At speed.

Depending on speed & skill, NN's will be ok. But not at mach stupid. Just at mach dumb.

P

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Schwalbe tires for Downieville

Mr.P winner. Best answer.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    nobby nics dont make good rear tires. they are kind of thin and they wear out fast on rocky stuff

just ride
    Oct 2006
    I'll have HD in the front. Still trying to figure out which rear to use. I also have the weir wolf 2.3 TCS but don't like it drifting around the corners.

Don't care if the NoNic wears out fast. I just want to know if the sidewall is strong enough for dville since I'm running tubeless.

Thx

swag ho Administrator
    Schwalbe is not the best tire for Downieville because the knobs tear off after a few runs.

But if you must, Pacestar (hardest) compound is best.

And their best tire is the the Hans Dampf Super Gravity. Super Gravity is their new casing that is downhill strength on the sides but supple on the top. This allows the tire to not only survive rocks but be more stable as well and run a couple psi less. The soft top/tread casing allows the tire to be supple on the rocks.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Spent the last week riding in Downieville with the NN's and they feel like you are riding on beach balls, even at lower pressure. Most of the knobs are ripped off, and I am lucky I guess that I didn't slice a sidewall as they are quite thin.
    Aside from them going away so quickly, the beach ball effect was the worst. I am switching back to Maxxis High Roller II's.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Schwalbe is not the best tire for Downieville because the knobs tear off after a few runs.

But if you must, Pacestar (hardest) compound is best.
    Good point, I've only run PaceStars (or the earlier equivalent) in Downieville.

P

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have Hans Dampf tires up from and Nobby Nics in the back and primarily ride Auburn but plan on going to Downieville and Northstar this summer. I like the way the bike handles but the rear tires is wearing out real fast. Can someone recommend a good rear tire for the areas that I ride that will handle as good or better than the Nobby Nic and maybe last a little longer.
    Thx, Pete

mtbr member
    I've seen way too many Schwalbe tires get blown off the rims. I'd avoid them like the plague.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So what would you recommend. I have a 29" and have had no problems and really like them but the rear tire is wearing prrtty quick.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Schwalbe tires for Downieville

Personally I have had good luck with the Fat Alberts in UST. These are the older style however and I am going to try Hans Dampfs this year. WTB tires are always a good choice up there, Weirwolfs or Wolverines, or a mix thereof.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    could i run a narrower hans dampf in the rear or would that be a bad idea?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    ^^^
    This... But then again, I shredded my HDs. Not the most durable tire IMHO. I've only run the trailstar, though.

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    Hans Dampf Super G. I just got a set and I'm getting some great times on blown out local trails, times that are competitive against people that ran the same trail when it was in velcro conditions. Trailstar up front, Pacestar out back.
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Out of curiosity does the TrailStar compound or PaceStar last longer?

mtbr member
    Pacestar lasts longer - harder compound. I think the hans dampf is a great all round tire. Not the quickest, but traction is fantastic. I ran the "normal" hans dampf in downieville last year with no issues. This year will run the Super Gravity, as I like to have some insurance against those rocks. I have also run larger Nobby Nics on the rear up in Downieville, and Tahoe - 2.4" in pacestar - with no problems.

mtbr member
    Muddy Mary 2.5" is also a good choice for front tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peter19ue View Post
    So what would you recommend. I have a 29" and have had no problems and really like them but the rear tire is wearing prrtty quick.
    Pretty much anything else. I'm a big fan of the 2.3" Butcher in the front and the 2.3" purgatory in the rear. For downieville, get the GRID casing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I noticed a couple of torn Schwalbes in the Yuba Outfitters trash cans...not a great sign. I've ran Geax Saguaros 2.2s with the TNT casing on Flows on a couple of trips there without any issues whatsoever. Not a real gravity tire, but I'm more of an XC guy anyhow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Those Saguaro's like to drift a bit, but they're fast and the TNT have durable casings. Good tire, but probably not my 1st choice for Downieville. Highroller 2.3 UST are durable, predictable and roll decently for an aggressive tire. Good combo for Downieville! Haven't got to try the II yet...