Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sayles Canyon/Bryan Meadows..Tahoe TR

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TahoeBC 
#1 ·
I've been on vacation and staying near Strawberry for the last 10 days. The Pony Xpress trail is only about a mile from the cabin we are staying at. It turned out the trailhead for the Sayles Canyon trail was also only a little over a mile away.

The Sayles Canyon/Bryan Meadows trailhead is located off of the Sayles Tract Rd., about a mile east of Twin Bridges on Hwy 50. The trailhead is about 1 mile in on Sayles Tract Rd. About a half mile in you'll pass the Pony Xpress Trail.

Here's my MotionBased link for the ride: https://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6755023 There are also alot of additional explorative miles included in this ride info, that are not part of this loop.

I did a clockwise loop of the Bryan Meadows/Sayles Canyon trails. You'll need to use less than a mile of the PCT to complete the loop. Total miliage for the loop in only about 12 miles. Both trails get little use and have a very rugged and primitive feel. I ran into a few hikers, but no other mtbr's. Bryan Meadows is more mtb friendly. Sayles Canyon has lots of hike a bike sections because some sections are very rugged, rocky and overgrown.

Both trails are about 5 miles in length.

There is a short lead in trail that takes you up the the main trailhead..

There is a nice log undercrossing on the lead in trail...

The trailhead...

The 1st mile of the Sayles Canyon trail..

Much of the 1st 1 1/2 miles of the trail turned out have alot of hike-a-bike...

Mt Ralston?...

About 2 miles in, the trail splits....Bryan Meadows to the left...Sayles Canyon to the right...

I went left up the Bryan Meadows trail. Some skinny singletrack...

Some big old growth trees...

Bryan Meadows....

After about 4 miles, the Bryan Meadows trail ends at the PCT....

I walked my bike south on the PCT for a little less than a mile to hook up with the Sayles Canyon trail. I didn't see another soul on the PCT, even though it was a Saturday.

Heading down on the Sayles Canyon Trail...

Sayles Canyon gets very little use..

I lost the trail at least 3 times on my way down...

Can you find the trail?..

The trail goes in between the 2 rocks in the centers of these pictures..

Primitive stuff...

Sayles Canyon is very rugged in spots. In spite of going downhill, there was still alot of hike-a-bike ....

But the trail does smooth out at times..

Now getting close to getting back to the trailhead. See the trail?..

Back to the trailhead, there is some old mining equipment..

This loop took me about 3 hours to complete including stops. It is quite the adventure and definately worth checking out. You can make Sayles Canyon part of a much longer, adventurous ride....next time....

See less See more
#5 ·
Tahoe does not suck...

TahoeBC said:
Getting to be the perfect time of year to get out there, sounds like you got a lot of great riding during your vacation
Yeah, lots of awesome riding... 8 rides, 200 miles, 30,000 ft of climbing....I lost count on the beer consumption. Heading home today....I think I got my Tahoe fix!:D

For anyone looking for beta on the Pony Xpress trail, here's a MotionBased link for the Echo Summit to Strawberry section:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6699193.

All the stuff south of Hwy 50 is the Pony XP.

#6 ·
Sayles - best trail ever

Brainstump said:
Sayles Canyon is very rugged in spots. In spite of going downhill, there was still alot of hike-a-bike ....
I wouldn't say there is alot of hike-a-bike. Every section is rideable if you are set up for it. As you mentioned though, it is easy to lose the trail at times and have to walk over to get back on. 45-50 minutes of flow/rocks/flow/rocks.

I have done the loop you mention...but my favorite is TRT-Perfect-Sayles-Pony-Hawley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.