Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Totally, and to the max.

Saturday, Sept 20: Spooner to Toad's Attack, Tahoe

Join us on Saturday, September 20 for a blitzkrieg on the two sections of the Tahoe Rim Trail from Spooner Summit to Mr Toad's Wild Ride. This ride is a strong intermediate to advanced ride and every rider should know the basics about self-sufficient riding. The ride is 40+ miles with 5500+ feet of climbing at an average of 8500' elevation, topping out at 9850', so be prepared for the altitude.

This ride will be a shakedown ride for 0gre's Mount Rose to Toads Challenge the following week so anyone interested in that should definitely do this route first.

We'll meet up at the Spooner Summit parking lot at 8:30 am, riding by 9 am at the latest. Please bring plenty of food and water for this ride. There may be a spring halfway through the ride but it's not guaranteed.

More to come regarding afterparty and whatnot. Stay tuned....

Cheers,
    Kyle

mtbr member

Don't forget the store at heavanley....

Bring cash so you can make good use of the store 15 miles into the ride

ice cream, gatorade, beer....

Hey Kyle I'm in for sure. It will probably kill me but I just can not resist. Have you talked to Abe Nitro? He needs to do this ride.
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    I think I'm in. A carpool would be greatly appreciated if anyone is passing through or near Stockton. If nothing else, maybe I can meet someone in Sacramento?

mtbr member
    I'm gonna try and make it, but probably will not know till a couple days before.

That makes me smart
    I might be up for part of this. Maybe I could ride to the store & then turn around & go get a car? If the store's 15 miles in I'd get a 30 mile ride out of it.

Would that help anything?

fp

Totally, and to the max.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    I might be up for part of this. Maybe I could ride to the store & then turn around & go get a car? If the store's 15 miles in I'd get a 30 mile ride out of it.

Would that help anything?

fp
    Gary, that would actually be a huge help, but dont'cha want to do the whole ride? If you really don't, the Spooner to Kingsbury out-and-back is a great ride all by itself. And that would get one vehicle from the Spooner trailhead which is the biggest pain of the ride. Depending on how many cars and who rides with ya, it'd be awesome to get both cars over to Oneidas (bottom of Toads).

Totally, and to the max.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    Bring cash so you can make good use of the store 15 miles into the ride

ice cream, gatorade, beer....

Hey Kyle I'm in for sure. It will probably kill me but I just can not resist. Have you talked to Abe Nitro? He needs to do this ride.
    Ditto on the killing me, but considering the realistic # of opportunities for me to ride Tahoe before Old Man Winter returns, well, it's a no brainer.

I've spoken with Abe, he's hip to it, we just need to make solid plans.

My big wheeled green machine should be up and rolling for this one.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Problem is the hellish road climb from the store back up to the trailhead. Ugh. I'd do it with ya (the out and back), but I'm busy that day.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Problem is the hellish road climb from the store back up to the trailhead. Ugh. I'd do it with ya (the out and back), but I'm busy that day.
    Well he could certainly skip the road run to the store and turn around at the end of the TRT. Course that means missing the store stop.

mtbr member

I am in!!

I'm in for Steve's back from the brink of death/gummy retrieval ride.

I have a prior commitment on the 28th, so it looks like I can't make Ogre's Challenge. But I'm still wanting to do Rose to Toads.

Maybe I'll start from Rose @ 6:30 on the 20th.....then join you guys at Spooner summit @ 8:30.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstump
    I'm in for Steve's back from the brink of death/gummy retrieval ride.

I have a prior commitment on the 28th, so it looks like I can't make Ogre's Challenge. But I'm still wanting to do Rose to Toads.

Maybe I'll start from Rose @ 6:30 on the 20th.....then join you guys at Spooner summit @ 8:30.
    Darn, sorry about that Chris.

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Well he could certainly skip the road run to the store and turn around at the end of the TRT. Course that means missing the store stop.
    That's what I did a couple weeks ago. So what did I miss at the store?

Would love join up for Punisher, but can't do it until October.

-slide

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon
    That's what I did a couple weeks ago. So what did I miss at the store?
    What do you miss at any C-Store.

mtbr member

The Store

Only worth stopping at if you are continuing south on TRT. I Think it's a Kwik E Mart run by some guy named Apu. Anyway, it is a wonderful stop when doing the 42 miles starting at Dagget Pass....great place to get cold liquids, ice cream....maybe a squishy

www.goapc.org

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    Only worth stopping at if you are continuing south on TRT. I Think it's a Kwik E Mart run by some guy named Apu. Anyway, it is a wonderful stop when doing the 42 miles starting at Dagget Pass....great place to get cold liquids, ice cream....maybe a squishy
    Indeed. the only reason I figures Gary might be interested in it is because it's a natural break in the ride where everyone chills and shoots the sh*t.

Medium?
    Indeed. the only reason I figures Gary might be interested in it is because they have beer there.
    Fixed.

mtbr member
    Indeed. the only reason I figures Gary might be interested in it is because it's a natural break in the ride where everyone chills and shoots the sh*t.

I think riding over Freel Pass would be easier than that road ride back back up to the TRT

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would like to join you guys. Anyone can carpool from around Davis-Sacramento?

Totally, and to the max.
    Bump. Floating it to the top.

Weather should be great for this ride. 60's at upper elevations. Good for some hard pedaling.

Got some great IPAs to share at the bottom of Toads....

mtbr member
    Just have to convince my wife that I need to go out and ride all day while she paints, got a few more days to come up with a plan

You gonna be toting a radio?

mtbr member

Channel 11

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Just have to convince my wife that I need to go out and ride all day while she paints, got a few more days to come up with a plan

You gonna be toting a radio?
    We will be on Channel 11

www.goapc.org

mtbr member

Head count?

So.....who all is in for this ride? How many do we have K-max?

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Good question... also, how are we getting to Spooner? I suppose I can bring my van.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    As I said before if somebody is driving from the Bay Area-Sacramento, and have space for one rider I will be more than happy to join you guys.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by raposu
    As I said before if somebody is driving from the Bay Area-Sacramento, and have space for one rider I will be more than happy to join you guys.
    Did you get hooked up with a ride for the 28th?

Hey guys, I think he said he's in Davis, you Bay area guys roll right through there, can one of you hook him up?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Did you get hooked up with a ride for the 28th?

Hey guys, I think he said he's in Davis, you Bay area guys roll right through there, can one of you hook him up?
    No, no jet, I was hoping this pre-ride would be a good place to get things sorted out. An yes I am staying in Davis.
    If things comes to worst I can still rent a car but with this gas prizes I thought carpooling is a good thing for everybody.
    Thanks Ogre!!

mtbr member
    Good question... also, how are we getting to Spooner? I suppose I can bring my van.
    I still plan on starting at Mt. Rose and meeting up with you guys at Spooner....

My spousal unit and her friend will be dropping me off at Tahoe Meadows.....and picking me up at Toads at the end of the day.

Totally, and to the max.
    So far it looks like:
    - Myself
    - You
    - Big Boulder
    - 0gre

On the fence is:
    - Abe Nitro
    - Bailout
    - raposu (tentative on transpo)
    - TahoeBC
    - FP

Possible meet ups throughout the day
    -Just Jeff
    -Baycat
    -Graaah
    (they'll be up this weekend but with diff. ride plans)

Still thinking through the vehicle situation. If I can get a friend to come up and babysit while Richelle goes riding, she can do the Spooner to Kingsbury out-and-back, then drive a car back to Toads. If we can somehow all fit in one vehicle, then this would be ideal. Working on it....

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Well personally I would rather meet at Toads at 7:30AM and drive over in one car and not have to deal with picking up cars at the end of the day.

Spin-stabilized
    Quote Originally Posted by raposu
    No, no jet, I was hoping this pre-ride would be a good place to get things sorted out. An yes I am staying in Davis.
    If things comes to worst I can still rent a car but with this gas prizes I thought carpooling is a good thing for everybody.
    Thanks Ogre!!
    Not sure if this helps but a friend of mine and I are riding either Rose to Spooner and back on the 20th or Spooner to Kingsbury and back. I couldn't convince him to ride all the way to Toads from Spooner but we are leaving from Davis on Saturday AM on the 20th. I just shot him an e-mail and will probably have a final itinerary by tomorrow. I'll let you know.
    Hey man, wanna go for a klunk?

mtbr member

Saturday

Kyle....Abe and I are in for sure. Looks like we will come up Friday night...be there tween 9 and 10pm.

www.goapc.org

Totally, and to the max.
    Okay, cool. I say we all meet at the bottom of Toad's, Oneidas Road at 8 am. Whattya say? I think we're just going to have to see who all shows up and then go from there. We may be able to get over to Spooner Summit in one vehicle which would be ideal. (course, it won't be my vehicle). This should get us riding by 9 am or thereabouts.

aka baycat
    Have a great ride!

We are on the 11 am shuttle to Spooner. Not sure if our paths will cross. Maybe in the p.m. sometime.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by K-max
    Okay, cool. I say we all meet at the bottom of Toad's, Oneidas Road at 8 am. .
    Sounds like a plan to me. See you there.

mtbr member
    Looks like I'm in.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey, would you guys mind if I tag along? I won't screw up your shuttle plans, I will likely park at Oneidas and just ride over to Spooner in the morn.

Totally, and to the max.
    We've love to have you along. Just keep in mind, we're fast. Very, very fast.

mtbr member
    Hey I for got to mention I'll be getting up early and riding in from Sacramento

I'll meet you all at Spooner at nine, sounds like it's gonna be a fun crew!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey now, if I didn't know better I'd say I was being made fun of.....
    The spousal unit was not keen on me riding 50, why I don't know. I am going to go up 207 and meet you Guys somewhere out on the trail, I'll try to make it all the way to Spooner by 9:00 though.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan
    Hey now, if I didn't know better I'd say I was being made fun of.....
    The spousal unit was not keen on me riding 50, why I don't know. I am going to go up 207 and meet you Guys somewhere out on the trail, I'll try to make it all the way to Spooner by 9:00 though.
    You gonna wait for us if you're early? I think if we beat you there we can probably start without you and not worry too much about you catching us before South Camp Peak.

mtbr member
    Can I go to? I just found this thread and my wife and kids are away this weekend Are we meeting at the rim trailahead at spooner at 9am? If so how the heck am I getting back to my car at spooner? Is Sean going to ride back and get the cars?
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Hey guys,

I plan to start from Mt. Rose by 6;30. But, I always seem to get a later start than I want when my wife is with me.

Anyway, I may end up getting to Spooner before you guys... I also may end up getting to Spooner after 9:00.

Either way, if I'm not there by the time you guys get going, don't waste time waiting for me....hopefully I will be ahead of you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Can I go to? I just found this thread and my wife and kids are away this weekend Are we meeting at the rim trailahead at spooner at 9am? If so how the heck am I getting back to my car at spooner? Is Sean going to ride back and get the cars?
    Hey Merlin,

I think everyone else is meeting at the bottom of Toads.. I believe Ogre, Kmax, Bigboulder and Abenitro are all meeting there at 8am. Sean is leaving his car there and riding up to Spooner in the morning.

If you get there at 8am, hopefully you should be able to shuttle up to Spooner with the other guys.....or you could just ride your bike the 20 miles back to your car at Spooner after the ride.

mtbr member
    Hey Merlin,

I think everyone else is meeting at the bottom of Toads.. I believe Ogre, Kmax, Bigboulder and Abenitro are all meeting there at 8am. Sean is leaving his car there and riding up to Spooner in the morning.

If you get there at 8am, hopefully you should be able to shuttle up to Spooner with the other guys.....or you could just ride your bike the 20 miles back to your car at Spooner after the ride.
    There is no way I can drive to the bottom of Toads by 8am, but someone has to go back to spooner to get the shuttle right? Can I get a ride? Can I bribe someone with FREE BEER????????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    There is no way I can drive to the bottom of Toads by 8am, but someone has to go back to spooner to get the shuttle right? Can I get a ride? Can I bribe someone with FREE BEER????????
    Yep, you're right....someone's vehicle is going to have to be there...But, I don't know if a beer bribe is going to get you too far. I have a feeling there is going to be a plentiful supply of beer waiting at the bottom of Toads.

My wife will be picking me up at the bottom of Toads (with beer), and we will be heading back to Sac from there on Hwy 50.

I suggest you get a hold of one of the other riders and try to arrange something before you head up there in the morning.

Good luck....hopefully we'll see ya tomorrow!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Surely start without me, I will be coming down the trail in the opposite direction.

mtbr member
    Sean Allen was king enough to offer me a ride, we are working out the logistics now, hope to see everyone a t 9am, I 'll have my MTBR jersey

mtbr member
    Hey Brainstump, we never saw you and we were moving slow, check in so we know your ok!

Fun day, Sean in not human, Merlin is not far behind, not sure if those two pressed on to Toads, but the rest of us bailed at Armstrong. Dam fun drop from Freel pass back to the beers calling our names.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC
    Hey Brainstump, we never saw you and we were moving slow, check in so we know your ok!

Fun day, Sean in not human, Merlin is not far behind, not sure if those two pressed on to Toads, but the rest of us bailed at Armstrong. Dam fun drop from Freel pass back to the beers calling our names.
    Great meeting and riding with you today. I just got home. We waited for you guys for 15-20 minutes and got too cold and headed down on a trail before toads, forgot what it was called. I still had over 5 hour of ride time, so I'm cooked!

mtbr member
    I want to also thank everyone on the ride today for helping me with both of my flats. I'm really sorry I was not better prepared. It has been months since I had a flat and no idea my pump was broken, etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast