Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PRETENDURO

Santa Teresa Saturday morning ride 08/27/2011

9:00AM, Saturday the 27th of August 2011, the plan is to meet up at the intersection of Harry Road and Camden for a semi-organised ride throughout the Santa Teresa County Park trail system. No-drop ride. The plan is for a faster group and a slower group. Perhaps I can convince our regulars (including Dion, bigLarry, mboldt, etc.) to make an appearance. What to bring: yourself, bike, helmet, water, food, sunscreen, etc.

Santa Teresa County Park offers a variety of terrain to hike/bike/horsieride, from casual semi-flats, steep and loose climbs, and technical rocky stuff.

More information on the park and a downloadable .PDF map can be found here:

Santa Teresa County Park - Parks and Recreation, Department of (DEP)

On the last ride, I believe there were 15 people in total, which was a pretty good turnout. Letís see if we can do it again!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    I am going to try like hell to make it to this ride. Very cool place to ride with some cool riders to boot.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How slow is the slow group?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This all depends on a number of factors if I can go or not

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I should be able to make it. Anyone want to ride out from downtown with me? It gets lonely sometimes on the road

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by iamvinhamese View Post
    I was in the slow group last time and walked half of the Stiles climb, I'd say the slow group is pretty slow. Besides its a no drop ride so no one gets left behind.

I'm in for the ride and will be in the slow group.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Motorbacon which rout are you taking, if you ride pass Meridian near Kooser and Blossom hill area then I'll join you, I'll be one of the slow ones, maybe I'll bail out again at the same spot like last time, still can not get over the fear of going down the slope, need to work on that, last weekend I rode the Los Gatos creek trail getting up to Lexington res, the way up I can manage but going down the lithe dirt section about 100 ft or so I managed to eat dirt twice, braking did not help, the rear tire slid away from me and I crashed into a bush, went back up and tried the 2nd time with out braking and it was worse, picked up speed in a short distance, could not help but apply brake again and here come the bush the 2nd time, I need help with getting over that fear or some technique to control the bike when going down the slope, I guess it will get better with more Mtb riding under my belt, much different than riding a road bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Froride1 View Post
    I was in the slow group last time and walked half of the Stiles climb, I'd say the slow group is pretty slow. Besides its a no drop ride so no one gets left behind.

I'm in for the ride and will be in the slow group.
    Perfect! I am going to try to convince my gf to go if I can figure out what is wrong with her bike. Crashed last week at Quicksilver and now it wont change gears properly

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A chance to ride with PM and Leopold......I might make it if I can tune up my bike in time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM View Post
    A chance to ride with PM and Leopold......I might make it if I can tune up my bike in time.
    Get that thing tuned man and get out here!!! I can stay till about 1130 or so. Hoping to have a fun time and not a hammer fest, well maybe just a touch!

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbacon View Post
    I should be able to make it. Anyone want to ride out from downtown with me? It gets lonely sometimes on the road
    Iíll gladly ride there with you from the Chynoweth @ MUT trail connector if you want to meet me thereóapproximately 6 miles from there to Harry@Camden. Figure roughly 1/2 hour at a medium-high rate (14 or so MPH average, includes the parallel offroad singletrack section). Say, around 8:30AM-ish? Lemme know before Saturday morning. Plenty of fun hoodlum-esque diversions en route to the trails from there.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

PRETENDURO
    What needs to be done to it?

Hipster
    I'll be there!

-Marco

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by mboldt View Post
    I'll be there!

-Marco
    Excellent!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    DANG! I'm going to do my best to make it.

There's a fast group and a slow group. I'll be in the middle group.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Excellent!!!
    Man.....Looks like someone found their calling ! Great to see this enthusiasm. Bring them all over to my backyard/Kennedy one of these weekends.
    Still searching for my red headed hairdresser Tiffany. "Economic Mother Nature" ... Knocks at door! -AR

mtbr member
    I would be there for sure...if it were a Sunday...I work Saturdays

looking forward to meeting up with ya'll someday!
    "It's not about the bike"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

There's a fast group and a slow group. I'll be in the middle group.
    Can I join you in the middle group?

Iíll gladly ride there with you from the Chynoweth @ MUT trail connector if you want to meet me thereóapproximately 6 miles from there to Harry@Camden. Figure roughly 1/2 hour at a medium-high rate (14 or so MPH average, includes the parallel offroad singletrack section). Say, around 8:30AM-ish?
    Seems like that would work. I'll let you know tomorrow though, as I need to figure out some weekend stuff

pro leisure tour
    Crashed last week at Quicksilver and now it wont change gears properly
    Is the derailleur hanger bent? I've gone through a few of those. About $20 and 20 minutes.
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyJay View Post
    Is the derailleur hanger bent? I've gone through a few of those. About $20 and 20 minutes.
    she took it back into the shop and they tighten some stuff on the derailleur and brake.

mtbr member
    Iíll gladly ride there with you from the Chynoweth @ MUT trail connector if you want to meet me thereóapproximately 6 miles from there to Harry@Camden. Figure roughly 1/2 hour at a medium-high rate (14 or so MPH average, includes the parallel offroad singletrack section). Say, around 8:30AM-ish? Lemme know before Saturday morning. Plenty of fun hoodlum-esque diversions en route to the trails from there.
    I am going to try to join you, but I need to figure out how to rearrange my kids Sat. morning schedules first.

I will be on a blue Titus, and meet by Blossom Hill trail entrance if I can make it.

mtbr member
    let me see if i can make this ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well, I just got news I won't be able to make it

Sorry, guys... have fun!

Slowest Rider
    OK, now that I'm coming too, you won't have to worry. This trip, I'll take the slower group around the fun Fortini singletrack rather than straight up the steep rocky Stile Ranch. Those who want can ride Stiles on the way back. It's a lot less steep climbing that way.

As for speed, let me say you won't need to bring your bike to keep up, but it'll be more fun.

My wife might join too. She's even slower...

We'll greatly miss Dion.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm primarily in the east bay but i'll head out down south eventually to give Santa Teresa a try.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anybody coming from the Santa Teresa side and want to meet at the trailhead at Joice or Ohlone trail?
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct body weight: m-10 pounds

mtbr member
    Oooh BL is going to join...I need to seriously make the Sat. schedule work to join the ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto'n'PushBiker View Post
    Anybody coming from the Santa Teresa side and want to meet at the trailhead at Joice or Ohlone trail?
    I will be coming from that side. I was going to get there about 830 or so and ride over. Want to meet right by Bernal and the stop sign before the ride starts to climb up? I will be there.

Paul

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    I will be coming from that side. I was going to get there about 830 or so and ride over. Want to meet right by Bernal and the stop sign before the ride starts to climb up? I will be there.

Paul
    Yes, 8:30 sounds good. See you then.
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct body weight: m-10 pounds

PRETENDURO
    Seems like that would work. I'll let you know tomorrow though, as I need to figure out some weekend stuff
    Coolness. Lemme know by Friday evening, as I plan on hanging out at that connector (Chynoweth @ Alamitos trailhead start) waiting for you. See image below:

mtbr member
    May 2011
    don't think i can make it out to this one. hopefully the next one will be my first

mtbr member
    Did I forget to mention that the Hawaii Tropic Bikini team will also be riding with me on this ride? Can't believe I forgot They are looking for tips on how to ride and also how to avoid tan lines. They are a crazy bunch and always complaining about having no boyfriends and stuff like that. Ah, those silly girls. Anyway, if you can't make the ride no big deal.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Paul
    You guys plan on climbing the single track on the left side? I'll probably join you, I don't want to climb the road though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    You guys plan on climbing the single track on the left side? I'll probably join you, I don't want to climb the road though.
    Yeah I think it is called the ohlone trail. I never go up the road unless I have to. We will be there at 830.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah I think it is called the ohlone trail. I never go up the road unless I have to. We will be there at 830.
    Sounds good, I will meet you at the stop sign. I will be on a brown santa cruz blur.
    Also,I can help out with those new riders, I'd be wiling to ride behind them (so i can see how they ride) and give them pointers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    Sounds good, I will meet you at the stop sign. I will be on a brown santa cruz blur.
    Also,I can help out with those new riders, I'd be wiling to ride behind them (so i can see how they ride) and give them pointers
    I will hopefully be on a Look Hardtail (my only MTB) with a red and black jersey on. Just waiting to get my bike back today from the shop. ST took it revenge on my bike on wed. Yeah I might even go earlier and just ride around and then come back down to the stop sign. I am not sure of the newer peoples comfort/experience level so I assume the pace will be slower. No biggie to em as this will be fun.

Paul

mtbr member
    Leopold, I will meet you at blossom hill/trail entrance (right next to Baja Fresh). I will get there 8:30am, and wait for the group.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Say we're not done riding by 2pm, will there be areas to bail out and jump back onto camden? I say this cause I need to be in RWC by 4pm, clean and dressed for kicking my brother's ass on a gokart track.

Also, I'm gonna be slow. Just rode to work after a 5 day hiatus. Holy crap I feel sluggish. Damn classes and sitting all day long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I will hopefully be on a Look Hardtail (my only MTB) with a red and black jersey on. Just waiting to get my bike back today from the shop. ST took it revenge on my bike on wed. Yeah I might even go earlier and just ride around and then come back down to the stop sign. I am not sure of the newer peoples comfort/experience level so I assume the pace will be slower. No biggie to em as this will be fun.

Paul
    Get some fat tires on your roadbike and take it out there if need be. Road bikes on dirt is guaranteed fun .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What needs to be done to it?
    Just general maintenance. If I don't get it done in time I'll bring my HT.

Is this thing on?
    I'm not going to make it. The wife planned a last minute getaway to SF. I have to keep her happy while I'm not working

Cool Man: Skip the Stiles climb and take Fortini to where everyone will meet up after that first climb. The ride from there is great and not technical. Everything you did on a roadbike desending still applies to a MTB. Stay loose on the bike, look where you want to go, stay back over the rear wheel. A couple things may also help, air down your tires. You will have much better traction while braking. Also, use both brakes. Even on steep decents your front brake will provide most of the braking power. With good tires the front will have plenty of traction for braking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Froride1 View Post
    Cool Man: Skip the Stiles climb and take Fortini to where everyone will meet up after that first climb. The ride from there is great and not technical. Everything you did on a roadbike desending still applies to a MTB. Stay loose on the bike, look where you want to go, stay back over the rear wheel. A couple things may also help, air down your tires. You will have much better traction while braking. Also, use both brakes. Even on steep decents your front brake will provide most of the braking power. With good tires the front will have plenty of traction for braking.
    yep yep. Remember to feather the brakes as they're not on off switches, and front brakes are awesome...And sometimes going too slow is actually harder as you're making more contact over obstacles and you get pushed around more. Quicker is often better

Is this thing on?
    yep yep. Remember to feather the brakes as they're not on off switches, and front brakes are awesome...And sometimes going too slow is actually harder as you're making more contact over obstacles and you get pushed around more. Quicker is often better
    The going too slowly part is what I'm working on these days. Being off a bike for ten years has made me to cautious. But you are right, going for it works better in most cases than trying to go very slowly over obstacles. It can be tough to practice but it works. Even though I haven't ridden a 29er, it would seem even easier to roll through stuff than try and go very slowly.

Cool Man: if you want to hit up the Los Gatos Creek trail sometime let me know. I used to ride it all the time (lived in Campbell). We can add St. Joseph's hill for a bit longer ride with more climbing and easy decending.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    FWIW, my brother and I will be riding from Thousand Trails in Morgan Hill to who-knows-where Sunday morning on las bicicletas de cross. I may try to encourage him to pack it up and drive down to Almaden Quicksilver with me and time trial the hill (my preference).

We shall be well fed with camping food and will have extra turbo boost fart power.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by sungchang View Post
    Leopold, I will meet you at blossom hill/trail entrance (right next to Baja Fresh). I will get there 8:30am, and wait for the group.
    Cool! Motorbacon and I will look for you. Iíll be on a very assinine-looking bike that has humongous tires, and I think Motorbacon will have roadie drop bars (and possibly a bald rear tire).

From the Blossom Hill entrance itís roughly 5 miles to the Harry@Camden trailhead. There is some neato singletrack for about 1.3 miles along the side of the multi-use trail past the Almaden Lake Park, Iíll make sure we hit that on the way to the real meetup point.

PRETENDURO
    Just general maintenance. If I don't get it done in time I'll bring my HT.
    I always bring my fully rigid non-suspended bikes to these rides. I think Dion will be doing the same.

Oh wait, Dionís not going to be making this ride.

mtbr member
    See all you in the morning. My fancy carbon rig is still being fixed (part order prob) so I will be on an old school SS Marin with rim brakes! The gearing is super hard so this will be a very hard morning. I anticipate having to walk some sections.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Oh goodness. We're having a serious oddball bike reunion at chynowth. I'm on a rigid, drop bar 29er with a red fork and some neon green bar tape. Hahah

PRETENDURO
    Oh goodness. We're having a serious oddball bike reunion at chynowth. I'm on a rigid, drop bar 29er with a red fork and some neon green bar tape. Hahah
    Hope you had a chance to upgrade that bald rear tire. See you tomorrow morning @ 8:30AM. I am going to down a few more beers, then I am off to bed.

mtbr member
    Will be there and a few others from 8am hope to see you all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast