Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Santa Teresa Park's Rocky Ridge Closed: PSA

I went up there last Sunday via the peak to see the posting marking the trail closed. Calling the SCCP I learned the area was closed due to breeding season of the Checkerspot Butterfly which is endangered. I requested that they update their recording for trail closures, last updated end of April. They promised a call back to inform me of a re-opening date. As soon as I hear I'll post it here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What!? I was jazzed to climb it tommorrow . I guess my regular daily loop will have to suffice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Did they give you any idea as to when it will be open again?

edit: just kidding...read the last bit about you posting info when you hear more. thx

mtbr member
    Tell me about it! I had a new Talas on the front end of my Uzzi that I wanted to dial in. 10 lbs heavier than my trail bike plus my bigger pack with pads and extra tools and more water than usual.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    What!? I was jazzed to climb it tommorrow . I guess my regular daily loop will have to suffice.
    How can your daily loop not include RR?

Silence! I kill you!
    Can't they get the butterflies to breed during the rainy season?
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

mtbr member
    I rode RR on Wednesday and the sign was locked shut (open sign shows the closure verbage) and the trail open.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    How can your daily loop not include RR?
    My time is limited when I ride since I have to see clients in the evenings. I usually can cover 17miles in about 1:45 at about 1,500ft. Climbing RR usually takes me over my time limitation. I need a regular 9-5.

Wēk Ss
    or cut out the other parts and ride RR It doesn't matter anyway, don't hurt those butterflies!

mtbr member
    I have to rethink my ride tomorrow. Thanks for the PSA.

PRETENDURO
    I rode up Rickys Rodge today, and did not see any signs indicating trail closure.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I rode up Rickys Rodge today, and did not see any signs indicating trail closure.
    Actually I rode there super early Friday morning (yesterday) and the sign at the top of RR was open (meaning trail is closed).

Bottom sign was closed tho - so I'm suspecting lazy rangers

mtbr member
    The SCCP recording for STP stated all trails open but it noted the date as 4/30. I made mention of this during my conversation with them. So yes, lazy employees.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    Actually I rode there super early Friday morning (yesterday) and the sign at the top of RR was open (meaning trail is closed).

Bottom sign was closed tho - so I'm suspecting lazy rangers
    It's been that way at least a week or so. The sign at the top looks like there's a tab on the lower flap that broke and it won't close shut.
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct body weight: m-10 pounds

mtbr member
    I have had no luck with follow up's from the park service. Anyone up there this week?

mtbr member

Open!

Just finished a ride and the sign at the top was folded shut.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What a bunch of hooie. This is what I expect to come from that Cougar study dude. All the better that the sign up top is open and the sign at the bottom is closed as well as the hotline saying the trail is open - have an out if you get a ticket.

Totally, and to the max.
    I rode it when the sign said closed, but whattyaknow, I made it to the bottom. You cannot close the outdoors. You can only close minds.

Safety Consultant
    Checkerspot Butterfly breeding? Anybody have any idea how mountain biking or hiking interferes with this in any way?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    These Checkerspots like to catch a ride in your draft if you're moving well. Eh, as much as I love RR, STCP is still a lot of fun if it's closed, and that's coming from a dude who rides it everyday.

The Quino checkerspot is the second subspecies of the widespread butterfly Euphydryas edita to be listed under the Endangered Species Act (The Bay Checkerspot, E. e. bayensis, being the other). This subspecies has undergone a relatively rapid decline. In previous years it has been considered an abundant and fairly widespread subspecies occurring widely in coastal sage scrub habitat in southern California and northern Baja California. However, its range is now limited to a few populations in Riverside and San Diego Counties.

The Quino Checkerspot is a medium sized butterfly with a wingspread of about 3 cm. The wings are a patchwork of brown, red and yellow spots. The Quino checkerspot tends to be darker and redder than other subspecies. Its biology is similar to that of the Bay checkerspot. Adults emerge in the early to mid-spring, mate and lay eggs. The eggs hatch about a week and a half later and the larvae begin feeding. The larvae may use either Plantago erecta or Castilleja exserta, both of which may be common in meadows and upland sage scrub/chapparal habitat. These plants are annuals which die back in the summer and the larvae thus have a period of summer diapause (physiological inactivity) during which they do not feed. In the late winter and early spring as the plants appear again, the larvae commence feeding again and then enter a short pupal (chrysalis) phase.

The main factor responsible for the butterfly's disappearance is clearly development. Much of the historic sage-scrub habitat has been built over. In areas where the habitat persists there are severe threats posed by grazing and the invasion of exotic plants. There are presently approximately 8 populations of the Quino Checkerspot known, at least one of which occurs in Baja California. All but three are extremely small and are thus at risk of extinction due to natural fluctuations. Of these three, two occur in areas already scheduled for housing development. There are presently plans in place for the management of only a single population, in Riverside County, where its distribution overlaps with that of the endangered Stephen's Kangaroo Rat. However, whether one population can ensure the persistence of the Quino checkerspot is highly debatable.

For further reading:
    Mattoni, R., G.F. Pratt, T.R. Longcore, J.F. Emmel, and J.N. George, 1997. The endangered quino checkerspot butterfly Euphydryas editha quino. Journal of Research on the Lepidoptera 34: 99-118.
    So, quit developing, a-holes!

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd Fergusen View Post
    Checkerspot Butterfly breeding? Anybody have any idea how mountain biking or hiking interferes with this in any way?
    They are shy and can't get it up when there are people around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Personally, I feel that without RR and Styles STCP is not worth riding. Even with them it's just good enough for an after work ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi View Post
    Personally, I feel that without RR and Styles STCP is not worth riding. Even with them it's just good enough for an after work ride.
    Living here for the past 7 years, I've narrowed down my local rides that I can pedal out to:

Kennedy: Spinning sperm killer with no payoff unless you're a Strava monkey
    St. Joes: More fireroad! More Strava monkey time.
    Almaden Quicksilver: Even more fire road! Can we call it a mountain bike trail when fire trucks go up it?
    STCP: Singletrack, double track, fire road, rocks

I guess if I had to drive to trails, I'd think otherwise, but guys like Leopold Porkstacker, Big Larry and the rest of us local boys love STCP just fine. I just got back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just climbed RR on the rigid (Rocky Rigid) and it's open - both signs are closed up. I saw one checkspot butterfly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Just climbed RR on the rigid (Rocky Rigid) and it's open - both signs are closed up. I saw one checkspot butterfly.
    Confirmed. I rode RR on friday and called the ranger station prior just to make sure it was open.

-s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast