bikerbert

Sandbagger Question

My USA Cycling liscense lists me as a Beginner DH'er & Sport for XC. I'm thinking about doing the CCCX DH series in the fall because it is pretty much Super D from what I hear.

Since I've never done a DH race before, would it be sandbagging to race Beginner?

Only you can answer that question.
    You've never done a DH race, but are you a beginner DHer?

It's about showing up.

DH is not XC.

Out of respect for the DH discipline I don't think that just because you are a Sport XC racer that you are neccessarily a Sport DH racer. You may well be, but a piece of paper shouldn't determine that.

Go do a race and find out. Then you will have some info on how you rate. If you come away off the back or even mid-pack as a Beginner it might be smart to stay as a Beginner. It would give you the opportunity to watch the other more established racers and learn. As the CCCX series accumulates points it would be nice to race in one category for the series.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Just race beginner. its your first DH Race. no one will complain about sandbagging until you prove you don't belong in beginners anymore, but continue to race it (series not included). And if someone does complain about sandbagging, well, thats been covered before.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike
    Out of respect for the DH discipline I don't think that just because you are a Sport XC racer that you are neccessarily a Sport DH racer. You may well be, but a piece of paper shouldn't determine that.

Go do a race and find out. Then you will have some info on how you rate. If you come away off the back or even mid-pack as a Beginner it might be smart to stay as a Beginner. It would give you the opportunity to watch the other more established racers and learn. As the CCCX series accumulates points it would be nice to race in one category for the series.

Good luck.
    agreed.. sounds like common sense.

mtbr member
    how old are u?
    i depends on which age group. sorry but its true. CCCX is lots a fun and is lots like a supa D

It's about showing up.

PaintballerXC

Would you elaborate on how you see the age making a difference? Speak freely as I think this could be valuable.

bikerbert
    I'll be 36 once the series starts.