sftrydr

San Mateo Co Parks 5 Min Survey,

BumpityBump

If we are ever going to ride MB's on trails within 100% bicycle banned from dirt SMCo Parks, We need to speak up about it:

San Mateo County - Department of Parks - Customer Survey - Parks Survey

My short n not so sweet suggestions.

Allow Mt Biking on various trails within Pescadero Creek+Memorial park.
    In Memorial, the Pomponio trail would provide campers w a fantastic beginner-intermediate loop within pedaling distance from the campgrounds.
    In Pescadero Cr Park, Butano Ridge Loop trail,Towne Fire rd, Tarwater+Coyote Ridge trails.
    Most of the aforementioned trails were essentially overgrown due to lack of use+maintenance.
    How about some of these trails be opened to Mt Biking?
    Last edited by ssulljm; 01-12-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Bump

mtbr member
    Done.. it peeves me that I can't ride on trails in my own county!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    Done.. it peeves me that I can't ride on trails in my own county!
    Done... btw ratpick, you probably mean 'am not allowed to'

mtbr member
    Speaking of which....

sftrydr
    This in todays SMCo Times:

San Mateo County supervisors to begin figuring out how to spend $60 million a year in sale tax increase - San Jose Mercury News

Seeing the Supes doling out $$ to budget specifics, I'd like to add my thoughts on where the $ should NOT go.
    I went to Pescadero Creek Co Park w my dog a few months ago.
    Turns out NO dirt trails within that roughly 4000 acres expanse is open to dog walking.I turned around and left, not wanting a ticket for such transgressions as taking a walk w my dog.
    Investigating further, it turns out NO dirt trails are open in any parks to dog walking(or mt bike riding).
    WHAT?
    Honorable Supes, Not one nickel of these voter approved funds should go to county parks.
    Not until the parks lands(dirt trails) provide opportunities for those of us taxpayers that walk dogs(or ride mt bikes) have at least some options to recreate within these under used dirt paths.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssulljm View Post
    This in todays SMCo Times:

San Mateo County supervisors to begin figuring out how to spend $60 million a year in sale tax increase - San Jose Mercury News

Seeing the Supes doling out $$ to budget specifics, I'd like to add my thoughts on where the $ should NOT go.
    I went to Pescadero Creek Co Park w my dog a few months ago.
    Turns out NO dirt trails within that roughly 4000 acres expanse is open to dog walking.I turned around and left, not wanting a ticket for such transgressions as taking a walk w my dog.
    Investigating further, it turns out NO dirt trails are open in any parks to dog walking(or mt bike riding).
    WHAT?
    Honorable Supes, Not one nickel of these voter approved funds should go to county parks.
    Not until the parks lands(dirt trails) provide opportunities for those of us taxpayers that walk dogs(or ride mt bikes) have at least some options to recreate within these under used dirt paths.
    Yeah.. I voted against the tax increase, partly for this very reason.

I also boycott their annual fundraising ride the Tour de Peninsula - extremely rude to use cyclists to raise money for parks that they then prohibit them from riding in.

Is now still the time?
    Thanks Sully. It was quick, easy, and painless to do.
    SOrCerer

mtbr member
    Done -everyone should do this

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Done

Thank you for the heads up

mtbr member
    I don't live in the area, but grew up there. I visit the area frequently and am astounded at the amount of great single track and the dearth of legal single track. I completed the survey and wish you guys the best on gaining legal access to more single track. Maybe if you disguise your bikes as horses and drop a load on the trail now and then you can ride more trails without being ticketed. (I never got radared on my bike until I visited Windy Hill, thank goodness a hiker warned me because I might have been exceeding the speed limit)

sftrydr
    Here in SMCo , a few of us have joined ranks w the Giro de Pacifica folks, and this year (June 29th) we are in the formulative stages of offering a Mt Bike route for the Giro de Pacifica...
    For you facebook folks:
    https://www.facebook.com/GirodiPacifica?ref=hl

This won't be a race, it will be a ride, w multiple loop options being formulated as I type.
    I'll start a new thread for this event, but not just yet, as we are still working out the route details.
    My point in posting this tickler?
    Support organizations that promote MB riding on dirt trails within SMCo.(see pic below)
    The trails we are applying for permits on are on State of Calif property+McNee Ranch State Park lands above Devils Slide...

Thanx to all that have taken the time to fill out SMCo Parks survey....We keep pushing on that door, someday it may just open some.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Done.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick View Post
    Yeah.. I voted against the tax increase, partly for this very reason.

I also boycott their annual fundraising ride the Tour de Peninsula - extremely rude to use cyclists to raise money for parks that they then prohibit them from riding in.
    I'm glad someone is still pointing out the hypocrisy with Tour de Peninsula. Thank you!

I filled out the form too. This is insane that mountain biking is not allowed in San Mateo County Parks, where Santa Clara County Parks and SC-OSP are allowing it.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

sftrydr
    Just a followup+THANX! to all who took the time to respond,

http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/Attachm...lan%202013.pdf

Dry sht, but here are the most important points for re forming the Parks dept+what the gen pub says is important :

"Recreational opportunities and environmental protection programs tied for first.
    Within recreational opportunities, the community’s top three priorities were, trails, picnic and camping facilities. Survey responses also indicated
    that these activities represent those of many of our users. In addition, respondents indicated that in the future, 50% would like to see more hiking trails, 47% would like more walking trails, and 40% would like more bicycling trails."

Now staff has an iron clad directive to facilitate cyclists within existing parks trails.

Giving credit where it's due, Quarry park+Coastal trails have maintained bicyclists access here on the SMCo coast.
    SMCo's newest park that has opened, Pillar Point Bluffs, has,for the 1st time, included bicyclists on 100% of the properties dirt trails+paths.
    While these small tracts don't serve all us dirt devotee's wants n wishes, perhaps these openings can begin the process of bicyclists inclusion on trails when master plans come up for review.
    Jim

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Jus
    Now staff has an iron clad directive to facilitate cyclists within existing parks trails.
    ..and yet among 29 "goals" of bureaucratic drivel (like "Strategy 28.4 Use the Agile Workforce model to effectively use available resources and adapt to changing needs ") there is nothing about just opening trails for cycling. Which costs nothing (and does not require "Goal 27: Support various public and private strategies to secure a dedicated, adequate funding stream to support the long-term needs of San Mateo County Parks.") and does the most to meet what taxpayers actually want.

SMH. Well, maybe in 20 years.

But now we got: "Strategy 2.1 Widen select trails for trail maintenance and emergency vehicle access ".

sftrydr
    My main point, ranking just below thanking those that responded, is that those of us that choose to involve ourselves in this process,can now trot out this latest survey to remind the proposed newly appointed staff that they must serve the greater rec community, not just the monied few that have the current stranglehold on SMCo Parks trails access.
    Will it make any difference, time will tell.
    Sad truth being that your maybe 20 yrs from now point is better than what we've had up til now w SMCo Parks.

mtbr member
    YES -- you locals should "dress up" your bikes as horses and stage a positive, straight-forward, clear, & organized protest each year at and during the "Tour De Peninsula". Certainly it will be many years of struggle and awareness-building before a decent amount of singletrack opens up in SMC Parks, even if this year they were to actually open up a couple of trails per our group's suggestions. But it ultimately should be possible to make some positive change there.

On the 3rd page of the survey, it asks for Suggestions, I filled it out thoroughly!

DONE!
    Last edited by primordial; 04-23-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Shorten my too-long post.

sftrydr
    FYI

San Mateo County supes OK $5.2 million of Measure A money for parks - San Jose Mercury News

San Mateo County supervisors unanimously voted Tuesday to spend more than $5.2 million of Measure A sales tax revenue to re-establish a separate parks department with seven employees.

Even though the money won't be allocated until the fall, after the county budget is approved, several supervisors said they want the recruitment process to begin now so the employees could be hired as soon as possible, perhaps by October.

The positions include a new director, an executive secretary, four rangers and a natural resources manager, according to County Manager John Maltbie.

The department is being set up separately after it was merged with public works a couple of years ago in a cost-cutting move.

About $4.2 million would be funneled for needed park maintenance work and capital improvement projects, Maltbie said.

The Measure A half-cent sales tax increase is projected to annually generate an additional $60 million over the next 10 years. It went into effect April 1, after voters approved it in the Nov. 6 election.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    The positions include a new director, an executive secretary, four rangers and a natural resources manager
    Wonderful. That is exactly what we have been missing. More managers.

sftrydr
    Hi Axe, thought you'd get more of a kick seeing it went into effect on April 1st...