Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

San Jose to Moab ride share for the Outerbike Demo Days! First week of October 2013.

982 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  PACS 
#1 ·
I would love to go to the big Outerbike festival in Moab the first week of October! I can't afford a second trip there this year so need to share expenses - and stories :)

You can demo the hottest bikes on fantastic trails! Outerbike is located at the Moab Brand Trails so there are plenty of interesting trails to ride right there or head for Slickrock, Porky, or dozens of other trails. Outerbike costs $175 for the 3 days and includes demo bikes and lunches.

I have a mid-size van, a Moab veteran Ford Aerostar, that will take 4 riders and bikes to Moab and back. I would like to make this a 10 - 16 day trip. I've done this trip many times. It is about 1,000 miles so I budget 2,200 miles and $400 for gas.

Campsites in the RV parks include showers, hot tub and include electricity for charging phones, computers, cost about $31/night for 4 people. My preference is Moab Valley Resort which is right on the Colorado River with beautiful views of the red rock walls nearby. Sometimes houses are available on AirBnb cheap instead of camping.

Outerbike - Home

Anyone want to go for a ride?

Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
**** I just used all my vacation time on a 10 day mtb trip through Oregon and I'm all setup for wiskeytown 24 that weekend so I can't make it. But if you do this next year I'd love to go, but I'll warn you I never get tired and there's no such thing as a long enough ride with me.

#4 ·
Haha yeah my super casual pace on the climbs where I'm not breathing just want to chat it up is about everyone else's redline limit. I love the views alright but I'd say I love bombing down a unknown descent for the first time is more of why I ride. I riders that can keep up with me on the descent aren't in ultra endurance shape and the XC riders I know who can ride all day are slow on the descents so I split my time between the two groups to get my fix when I can.

My Oregon trip was with my XC buddies so we went for like 4-7 hours every day but the only rider in 10 days that I had fun riding with on a descent was this random stranger on a bearly AM bike that had just gotten a shuttle ride to the top of the trail we just climbed 2 hours to get to. That 20 mins of clearing jumps, rock drops and carving berms mad the whole trip worth it :)

#5 ·
In the 60's I used to travel the Western US looking for the most challenging ski terrain I could find. Not many of us skiing cliffs then. Now I love the big drops and roots, rocks, and ruts but I should be a little more careful about OTH. Started wearing armor, G Form, at Moab and Fruita / Grand Junction this year. That along with 29'er demo bikes gave me a bit more courage to "bomb" trails - and only went OTH 3 times :)

Were you the guy who crashed into me on the Downieville Downhill a few weeks go? :)

jim

#6 ·
And friend and I are looking into a last minute trip to Outerbike this year. Unfortunately, we have much less time than you. We're thinking of driving out on Oct 3, riding like mad men for three days, popping a whole bunch of ibuprofen, then driving home on Oct 7.

It sounds like you have a much more reasonable timeline, but if things change, perhaps we could car pool?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.