Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013

San Diego to Oregon trip must hit riding spots? Where should we go?

Hey guys. My friend and I are going on our first big mountain bike road trip. We're headed to Oakridge, OR from San Diego for Mountain Bike Oregon bike fest. The plan as of now is to hit Bear, Mammoth, and North Star bike parks. We have an 8 day total time slot so i wan't to explore some new spots. Any suggestion from San Diego all the way up to Oregon would be much appreciated.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Are you okay with pedaling?!

Seriously, what kinds of trails are you interested in? That'll help! But for starters, I would check out Dread and Terror (upper Umpqua River) as it's in the neighborhood of MBO. Waldo Lake is also close to Oakridge. It's a beautiful loop around the lake, although it's mostly just mellow XC.

Then there's lots of trails around Lake Tahoe (Google TAMBA), and Downieville is awesome. If you can swing through the Bay Area on your way back, then Demo and Santa Cruz will not disappoint. And I would save Big Bear for a regular weekend. It's just a'ight.

Btw- I really miss riding Noble Canyon. And, if you haven't already, you should drive up the coast and drop the San Juan trail and/or Chiquito and Telonix.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 07-30-2013 at 09:52 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Since you are hitting Northstar, assume you are AM/DH/FR.

Hit Santa Cruz. There is a place call You See As See where magic happens when you pick up your mail. Just dont run into the dead camper while you are looking for the world cup ride...Zee

Do some google search and you will know what I am talking about.

Recreational Terrorist
    Since you'll already be in Mammoth it won't make sense to make a side trip to the bay area - it will waste a lot of time and the riding is pretty good but it isn't "destination" worthy IMO. I'd spend the extra time riding up around Tahoe and Downieville.

If the timing is right, add Mt Bike Oregon to your trip. I went in July and the trails rip. In fact, spend more time in Oregon.

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by SCTreeHugger View Post
    In fact, spend more time in Oregon.
    This is good advice.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    This is good advice.
    Secondeded. More time on bike, less time in car good.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Cannel Plunge, just east of Bakersfield. Rated as one of the best trails in the country. Very much worth the side trip.

Downieville. Everybody should try it atleast once.

Bend, Oregon. If I could find work there, I would live there now. The riding is that much fun.

I haven't tried it myself, but there is good stuff happening in Ashland, Oregon. My friends raved for months about one particular downhill.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Cannel Plunge, just east of Bakersfield. Rated as one of the best trails in the country. Very much worth the side trip.

Downieville. Everybody should try it atleast once.

Bend, Oregon. If I could find work there, I would live there now. The riding is that much fun.

I haven't tried it myself, but there is good stuff happening in Ashland, Oregon. My friends raved for months about one particular downhill.
    Good to hear - headed to Ashland in 1 month - please let me know if you figure out what the name of that DH run is. Sorry to de-rail. Carry on.

singletrack bound
    i can count eight worthy rides in and around Oakridge Or. so I would bust a nut up north and have a good time!
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks guys all sound good. We ride mostly all mountain but definitely not against a good XC ride. I think we're gonna take the advice to spend as much time in OR as we can. Last time I was up there I hated myself for not being able to have my bike. Anybody else going to the August MBO?

mtbr member
    If you were really brave, you keep on going and hit Vancouver and Whistler...Whistler is a genuine must!!!
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr dismember

Best XC?

Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    i can count eight worthy rides in and around Oakridge Or. so I would bust a nut up north and have a good time!
    Heading that way in a few days. What would be the best long XC ride in Oakridge?

mtbr member
    Not an Oakridge expert but Bunchgrass may be what you want for a long XC ride.

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    Alpine (plus an upper loop)-Tire Mountain-Cloverpatch would put you in the 26 mile range. Lots more if you don't take the shuttle to the start! East of Oakridge, the Waldo Lake loop is about 22 miles, but be ready for skeeters.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Axe
    Custom User Title

I should say I did like new Mendocino trails. Grab a track from the recent Mendocino 100 race (62m hits most good bits).
    Weaverville trails, as used on Bigfoot's races had been very nice. I assume one could shuttle their old Super-D run.
    Never been to Paradise smth-smth loop north of Ft. Bragg - by all account worth a trip, once you are near the coast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    To the original post, best way to Oakridge is through Tahoe up HWY 89 to hit Downieville/Lakes Basin area for a few days and then up to HWY 96-HWY 58 directly to the Brewers Union Local 180 brew pub in Oakridge. As for trails, The whole Alpine Trail is a must for one ride. Then, try upper Alpine-Tire Mtn. to the brand new (as of two days ago) Cloverpatch Tie back to Alpine. Next day do the Alpine-Tire Mtn to Winberry Divide. Next day do the entire Middle Fork. Next day do Bunchgrass/ETC Trail. All these rides are generally close to town, 30 plus miles each and your legs will fall off. These are just a few without talking about all the outlying areas.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Heading that way in a few days. What would be the best long XC ride in Oakridge?
    I typed out a long description of different rides last night and hit the button and it disappeared! %$#&!

basically similar to what Howling Dogs wrote. Check in with Eugene at the Mountain Mercantile across the HWY from Ray's groceries and he can set you up as far as rides goes.

I did Bunchgrass on a SS and I won't be doing that again unless I have some gears. 36mi of REMOTE singletrack just about killed us!

Very much liked the Middle Fork of the Willamette from Timpagnoas Lake (5200') down to Sand Prairie campground (1600') for around 30 mi of REMOTE single track. Another in that area is Moon Point/Young's Rock which can be done as a loop from Secret Campground incorporating around 5 mi of the Middle Fork trail. That was a great loop ride for about 24 mi and 3500' climbing. All good stuff.

Hardesty....west of town heading down to Eugene is a grinner too.......

later in the summer the higher stuff up near the Willamette Pass is pretty *****en too... but the skeeters are deadly until late August or September. Waldo Lake and the Twins is another great loop ride up there.

I'll be passing through mid September for a few rides on my way up to Seattle to be with my daughter as she gives birth to our second grandchild and her first daughter!

say hi to Eugene if you see him!

Tone~
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr dismember

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    Very much liked the Middle Fork of the Willamette from Timpagnoas Lake (5200') down to Sand Prairie campground (1600') for around 30 mi of REMOTE single track.
    Remote singletrack is my kind of ride!

mtbr member
    The Redding area has some great riding and is convienently located as you travel up and down I-5. Worth a few hour stop.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Oh man this trip is going to be amazing. I'm not going to be able to move by the end of the week. I can't wait. Thanks for all the tips. If anybody wants to ride and you're on my way(up the 395) let me know.

I like mtn biking, too
    Here's a suggested itinerary, although these are just ones I like:

Kernville:
    Cannell Plunge - shuttle ride
    Just outstanding - can self-shuttle or get a ride

In South Tahoe:
    christmas valley
    mr. toads
    Armstrong, sidewinder, corral

North Tahoe:
    Hole in the Ground

Soak at Sierraville hot springs in sierraville between Truckee and Downieville - If you are ok with a hippy kind of vibe.

Downieville

Bend - the Mt. Bachelor to Bend shuttle is the bomb.

Oakridge - Waldo lake is beautiful
    - Alpine shuttle a must
    - Larrison creek
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    Here's a suggested itinerary, although these are just ones I like
    Excellent list. I HiGHLY recommend this ititnary.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Another ride in Oregon is the Mckinzie river trail something like 28 miles one way. A lot of good riding around Bend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by beef supreme View Post
    Not an Oakridge expert but Bunchgrass may be what you want for a long XC ride.
    Only do Bunchgrass if you are a glutton for punishment. Of all the MBO rides it is rated the highest for grunt factor and technical difficulty. 9 of us did it the first day of MBO last year. They ended up cancelling the ride the next two days because not enough people wanted to do it after hearing our stories. If I remember right it was only about 5K of climbing, but it seemed twice that because of the technical steep climbs.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens Olson View Post
    Only do Bunchgrass if you are a glutton for punishment. Of all the MBO rides it is rated the highest for grunt factor and technical difficulty. 9 of us did it the first day of MBO last year. They ended up cancelling the ride the next two days because not enough people wanted to do it after hearing our stories. If I remember right it was only about 5K of climbing, but it seemed twice that because of the technical steep climbs.
    I can vouch for that........
    Sorrel Seeker !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast