Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Salmon Falls & Granite Bay trail conditions?

Anyone know what it's like out there right now?

Dropshot Champ!
    granite bay is pretty nasty still. salmon falls was amazing. The creek crossings are a little deep, and there are a few puddles you can't really miss on some flat portions, but for the most part...awesome. So good that I'll probably be out there again tomorrow.

Dropshot Champ!

mtbr member

Cough, cough...

Nice and thanks! I feel a cold coming on and doubt I can make it in to work tomorrow.

mtbr member
    GB is the worst I have seen it. I rode it last night. Still rideable, but some deep puddles and water everywhere. Also some quicksand mud where you sink in places that you dont expect it in some of the usual puddles. I say give it another couple of days, but if you cant wait go for it.

Dropshot Champ!
    saw a guy on the sfart trail with a bigger bike and a full face. Anything good up that way or was this guy just being cautious?

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

No good I don't think so....

Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    saw a guy on the sfart trail with a bigger bike and a full face. Anything good up that way or was this guy just being cautious?
    Hey Mr. redmr2_man,

I live in Coloma and have ridden the SF American River Trail a few times. As far as I know there isnít anything fun on any part of it. Most of it in the Cronan Ranch section is ranch road renamed as a trail. There is wide single track around the Magnolia section and in the last mile down to Salmon Falls Bridge. Of course my statements could be based on simple ignorance of the stashed goods. However, whoever did the stashing did a great job of hiding it from me!

All that said at this time of year itís a pretty place to go for a strictly XC ride. Conversely if youíre a runner itís a fantastic trail system with some sections in deep shade. Also there is an unimproved short section of trail that starts at the Greenwood Creek Parking Area / SF American River Access Point. It started life as a fishermanís trail right next to the river and hasnít been improved on since then. At the current river level itís flooded in several short sections, there is a downed tree and it goes through one rock outcrop that always required a portage. However it does have some fun chunky rock sections and is real single track when it isnít just a gravel bed.

If you learn of anything else Iíd sure appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    The only fun part of that trail is back at Cronan Ranch. You climb a short section from the lot, and it takes you out on this ridge for some pretty kick ass descending.

Then it's 8 miles of climbing back to Salmon Falls..
    :wq

mtb'er
    I was also pleasantly surprised by what I think Nachomc said... Middle Ridge is faaaast.

An upper portion:

A lower portion:

Hard to complain about newish trails, but yeah, nothing seems too technical out there. Some good miles to be had tho!

mtbr member
    ^^ yeah that's the ridge.

I dig that we got a new multi-use trail but this whole 2 ft wide business is BS.
    :wq

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Yeah that Middle Ridge trail is a really fun and FAST descent. It's the Cronan Ranch Super D course

Also, go find Gehrle Trail (I think that is how it is spelled) in Cronan. It goes out to the parking lot at the southern end of the trail system (can't remember the name). It's XC for sure, but it's pretty fun in a rippable way.

mtbr member
    Anyone been out to either Salmon Falls or Granite Bay recently to report on current conditions? I tried to ride some local trails in Folsom last weekend, and with all the freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw going on, they were a muddy mess...

mtbr member
    salmon falls is all permafrost melts when it warms up and is slimy/muddy, sfart/cronin I hear is the same it was like that a couple weeks ago, GB was good to go yesterday

mtbr member
    Slimy clay everywhere for me, but granite bay has lots of ....... granite.

So your'e either cleaning your chain or your tires.

mtbr member
    As much as I hate to, I think I'll stay on the road bike for awhile. Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    I did salmon fall last night, not to bad but there were some muddy spots. Its not perfect but it sure was fun on the single speed. Last weekend GB was a mess. The trails are literally in my backyard and they have dried up nicely since then. This weekend they are doing the TBF races so its probably best to steer clear till midafternoon after the races are done.

mtbr member
    GB is in great shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    GB it is! Thanks X-FXR!!

mtbr member
    Anytime, more than likely will be out there sat or sun myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    Me too. I will be on either a black Ventana SS 26er or a white/black BMC 29er.

mtbr member

Granite Bay

Granite Bay is still muddy. I was just out there. it isn't too muddy for me but I rode the road instead because the trail is getting damaged. I cannot believe TBF is actually going to hold a race on the trails tomorrow. TBF should postpone the race to prevent any further damage to the trails.

badjenny fan club founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    Granite Bay is still muddy. I was just out there. it isn't too muddy for me but I rode the road instead because the trail is getting damaged. I cannot believe TBF is actually going to hold a race on the trails tomorrow. TBF should postpone the race to prevent any further damage to the trails.
    That would be the first time TBF ever showed any consideration for the trails they race on.

mtbr member

Damn

Back on the road for awhile...

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    Just FWIW, The MTB race is Sunday. Tomorrow is a road duathalon.

Sebt frm my iPhne usig Tapaak

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenerd View Post
    That would be the first time TBF ever showed any consideration for the trails they race on.

I agree.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast