Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Salmon Falls & Granite Bay trail conditions?

6K views 65 replies 24 participants last post by  Tyrone Shoelaces 
#1 ·
Anyone know what it's like out there right now?

#46 ·
The last two weeks, I have spent around 4-6 hours cutting out po and low hanging foliage from the trail. From the bridge to the turn off going up Flagstaff is pretty clear. Saturday, I started clearing the manzanita out of the trail which veers off of the climb going up Flagstaff heading toward the bottom of Mickey. This section is really fast once you don't have to worry about the manzanita catching your bars. I was hoping to clear it out between Mickey and Minnie, but i ran out of steam.

#28 ·
well said, Brew. I rode GB last weekend during daylight hours and couldn't believe all the new-to-me shortcut lines.

While I believe TBF could always do more to maintain/restore the GB trails they utilize rain or shine, I (and Brewtality) have been at a FATRAC trailwork day in GB, sponsored by TBF.

The underlying issue, however, is the lack of mtb-legal trails in the area, thus GB is getting used to death, by all user groups. It's the only trail system in the Folsom Lake area that isn't an out-and-back either... which makes it the default choice for many, including the High School coaches and their 40 kids who need a local, legal place to train/practice. Perhaps GB has exceeded it's carrying capacity...

#29 ·
w

While I believe TBF could always do more to maintain/restore the GB trails they utilize rain or shine, I (and Brewtality) have been at a FATRAC trailwork day in GB, sponsored by TBF.

The underlying issue, however, is the lack of mtb-legal trails in the area, thus GB is getting used to death, by all user groups. It's the only trail system in the Folsom Lake area that isn't an out-and-back either... which makes it the default choice for many, including the High School coaches and their 40 kids who need a local, legal place to train/practice. Perhaps GB has exceeded it's carrying capacity...
Agreed!

Also -- I rode GB this afternoon. The trails were freaking perfect! I don't know how they could be described as being so bad just the day before? There were a few muddy / slick spots in the usual low lying areas, but not bad, and the actual single track was tacky and great. The trails will hold up FINE for TBF's race tomorrow.

#5 ·
GB is the worst I have seen it. I rode it last night. Still rideable, but some deep puddles and water everywhere. Also some quicksand mud where you sink in places that you dont expect it in some of the usual puddles. I say give it another couple of days, but if you cant wait go for it.

#7 ·
I don't think so....

redmr2_man said:
saw a guy on the sfart trail with a bigger bike and a full face. Anything good up that way or was this guy just being cautious?
Hey Mr. redmr2_man,

I live in Coloma and have ridden the SF American River Trail a few times. As far as I know there isn't anything fun on any part of it.:madman: Most of it in the Cronan Ranch section is ranch road renamed as a trail. There is wide single track around the Magnolia section and in the last mile down to Salmon Falls Bridge. Of course my statements could be based on simple ignorance of the stashed goods. However, whoever did the stashing did a great job of hiding it from me!:nono:

All that said at this time of year it's a pretty place to go for a strictly XC ride. Conversely if you're a runner it's a fantastic trail system with some sections in deep shade. Also there is an unimproved short section of trail that starts at the Greenwood Creek Parking Area / SF American River Access Point. It started life as a fisherman's trail right next to the river and hasn't been improved on since then. At the current river level it's flooded in several short sections, there is a downed tree and it goes through one rock outcrop that always required a portage. However it does have some fun chunky rock sections and is real single track when it isn't just a gravel bed.

If you learn of anything else I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.;)

Thanks,

Michael:thumbsup:

#8 ·
redmr2_man said:
saw a guy on the sfart trail with a bigger bike and a full face. Anything good up that way or was this guy just being cautious?
The only fun part of that trail is back at Cronan Ranch. You climb a short section from the lot, and it takes you out on this ridge for some pretty kick ass descending.

Then it's 8 miles of climbing back to Salmon Falls..

#11 ·
Yeah that Middle Ridge trail is a really fun and FAST descent. It's the Cronan Ranch Super D course :D

Also, go find Gehrle Trail (I think that is how it is spelled) in Cronan. It goes out to the parking lot at the southern end of the trail system (can't remember the name). It's XC for sure, but it's pretty fun in a rippable way.

#12 ·
Anyone been out to either Salmon Falls or Granite Bay recently to report on current conditions? I tried to ride some local trails in Folsom last weekend, and with all the freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw going on, they were a muddy mess...

#16 ·
I did salmon fall last night, not to bad but there were some muddy spots. Its not perfect but it sure was fun on the single speed. Last weekend GB was a mess. The trails are literally in my backyard and they have dried up nicely since then. This weekend they are doing the TBF races so its probably best to steer clear till midafternoon after the races are done.

#21 ·
Granite Bay

Granite Bay is still muddy. I was just out there. it isn't too muddy for me but I rode the road instead because the trail is getting damaged. I cannot believe TBF is actually going to hold a race on the trails tomorrow. TBF should postpone the race to prevent any further damage to the trails.

#22 ·
Granite Bay is still muddy. I was just out there. it isn't too muddy for me but I rode the road instead because the trail is getting damaged. I cannot believe TBF is actually going to hold a race on the trails tomorrow. TBF should postpone the race to prevent any further damage to the trails.
That would be the first time TBF ever showed any consideration for the trails they race on.

#27 ·
Really?
Have you not noticed all the new trails that are popping up (on almost a weekly basis) without any TBF races going on?

The first TBF race of the year is tomorrow and people are already b!tching and moaning about TBF destroying the trails.
Let me ask this - have you actually seen the owners of TBF, or any of their volunteers, out cutting new lines? I didn't think so.
How about, instead of bad mouthing TBF, why don't you focus you irritation else where. Like the State Parks Dept that charges TBF thousands of dollars to issue permits for events. State Parks doesn't put any money into the trail system for repairs, maintenance or signage.
How about we talk about the dozens, maybe hundreds, of riders that carelessly ride new lines, cut corners, slide around turns, etc?
How about volunteering at FATRAC work days?
Blaiming TBF for trail damage is a cop out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Yeah, it would be great is SP finally made legal other existing trail systems around Folsom Lake and the American River Parkway to give riders other local choices and help take pressure off the GBT.

Anyone know approximately when the race would be done tomorrow? I've raced TBF events out there this time of year, but for the life of me I can't remember. I must need another Lagunitas...

#31 ·
Anyone know approximately when the race would be done tomorrow? I've raced TBF events out there this time of year, but for the life of me I can't remember. I must need another Lagunitas...
I've had a couple Lagunitas's myself
today.
You should be good to go by noon. There will be a few slower racers out on the course but they won't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.