Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Salmon Falls & Granite Bay trail conditions?

6K views 65 replies 24 participants last post by  Tyrone Shoelaces 
#1 ·
Anyone know what it's like out there right now?

#37 ·
State Parks spent money that could have been used to help maintain the trail but instead felt that a guard rail for one homeowner was more important....

Rode all of GB and out to Beals Point...in great shape.

I bet TBF has done more to bring attention to GB than anything.

#41 ·
Salmon falls is not bad at all. It does get a little bit worse the closer you get to peninsula campground but not bad. Of all the local trails I would say SF has the least PO right now (don't know how Granite Bay is). I have a standard Tecnu procedure at the car to reduce the burn and have been clear of PO this spring.

#42 ·
Agreed. Rode it tonight, and very little PO encroaching into the trail. There are some non-PO face slappers in a few corners that need to go, but overall it's in ok shape right now. Will need a brushing probably in the next month or so.

#45 ·
Just getting started for the season, the tweakers wait for the rafters because they leave their wallets and cellphones in the cars.

There have been so many break-ins and burglaries up in Cool, that at least one group is reconsidering the business they started to establish up there, after all the construction tools were stolen.

Welcome to the new normal.

#44 ·
None that I have heard of and no telltale safety glass piles in the parking lot (pay lot, not sure about the free lot over the bridge). I have a pass and often park in the lower lot that also serves as the raft take out point. Good traffic through that lot with everyone coming and going may lead to less of a chance of break in. As usual taking a look in my car will show absolutely nothing laying around to tempt the thieves.

#52 ·
Ditto. I actually clean my car out (no car seats, empty glove box, nothin') and I leave my car unlocked. I do leave ~$0.27 in the change holder just to see if anyone opened the door to take it. I have been doing this several times between Salmon Falls and Auburn. So far no one has taken the $0.27.

#49 ·
Just got back from a quick ride at SFART and Sweetwater. SW is a mess with PO and contact is inevitable. Pretty much anything from sweetwater to the marina is a total dance with the PO.

About 1/2 mile on SW from the end paved parking lot heading towards Salmon Falls is a tree down and you have to scurry around it and multiple patches of PO, less than fun.

OTH thanks so much for your efforts in clearing SF, it is appreciated by many people!

#51 ·
No break in's that I have heard of either. Although last night coming back around 7:45pm, it was a little spooky seeing my car was the only one in the upper lot. No cars at all in the dirt lot below the bridge.

OTH a big thanks for the help clearing brush on SF. Hopefully FATRAC can arrange a trailwork day soon on both SF and SW to get both in prime shape for the rest of spring through the summer months...

#55 ·
Great to hear mountain bikers uniting to fight the PO overgrowth! In regards to the tweakers, Salmon Falls was my spot over 6 years ago when I lived in Sacramento and it is sad that they are still scavenging like a bunch of roaches on the hard earned money of the Mtb community. Unfortunately the tweakers know that you will be gone for a minimum of 1-2 hours and that is more than enough time for them to try and break in. Good rule of them is to pack light and leave the extras at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.