mtbr member
    May 2005

Sad, Disturbing sight.....

Coming up Auburn-Folsom road this morning the road was closed due to a cyclist fatality. Looked to be possibly of natural causes as it was on the uphill side of the road before Indian Hill and a bike leaning against a tree seemed to be intact. Thoughts to all family and friends affected. Lots of cyclists out today, one family that said goodbye this morning to their loved one wont get to ask how their ride was. Very sad.

My first sight of a deceased cyclist and hopefully my last.

It makes getting geared up and going for a ride right now a sobering experience.

Be safe out there folks.

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    That's terrible.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Unfortunately, not from natural causes......Cyclist dies in crash | Auburn Journal

Captain One Lung SuperModerator
    If the truck driver is found at fault this will serve as a wakeup call for all of the jack@$$ anti-cyclist drivers in the area.

I feel for this guy's family and friends.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    sad.

Thanks for the head's up Sean. Had not heard about this yet.

Lightly salted
    Very sad to hear!
    Rip and condolences to the family

Dropshot Champ!
    Sean Allan, that's almost the exact spot I was struck at 50mph.

Mine was a hit and run as well, but they found him and couldn't charge him.

The world doesn't really seem to care about cyclists, but I hope in this case I'm wrong...throw the book at this guy.
    Last edited by redmr2_man; 03-21-2017 at 10:37 AM.

mtbr member
    My Bro-in-law was killed on his road bike (in Hawaii) and no charges were ever filed. Our attitude towards vehicle-bicycle "accidents" is totally ass-backwards.
    One gear is all you need.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    Sean Allan, that's almost the exact spot I was struck at 50mph.

Mine was a hit and run as well, but they found him and couldn't charge him.

The world doesn't really seem to care about cyclists, but I hope in this case I'm wrong...throw the book at this guy.
    Adrian,
    I know that's where you were hit, this must hit home pretty strong. I know of two others that have been hit in that same stretch as well. We'll see how this goes, I have no info. at all on what happened and perhaps it was just a simple accident, I'm not reaching for my pitchfork just yet.
    I NEVER ride that stretch of road, much better to take the long scenic way around on Shirland Tract.

Dropshot Champ!
    It hits extremely close to home man.

He told the police he had to get home to pee, that's why he was speeding. He said he didn't know he hit me (BS), and therefore couldn't be charged with a hit and run, because under the law "if" he didn't know he hit me, then he didn't know he was running from anything.

Witnesses made it clear: He was either going to head-on a family in a Toyota Camry at 50+ (he was passing illegally), or he was going to take me out (cyclist on the front of a 17?-man paceline).

He made a conscious decision to spare his life by not hitting the camry, and to take me out.

Gut-wrenching. I'll have nerve damage for the rest of my life. **** that guy. It makes it worse to keep seeing it.

Stuff isn't changing. These people who act this way should be forced to commute a month by bike, after they've served jail time. They'd learn all of the issues really damn quick when a vehicle passes too close to them.

fRIDEday makes me happy!
    Wow, so sad sorry for the family and friends of a fellow rider. Last September I was doing a Folsom Lake Loop and almost got hit by two cars in this space of road, scary. I felt it was like they didn't even know I was on the road and were doing their own thing. One was my always favorite car hating vehicle a white pick up truck and the other was a Benz. Even when it was clear that they saw me I felt like some mental block was happening as I watched what they were about to do. Luckily for me I was proactive and took measures to protect myself instead of hoping the humans would see what they were doing. I don't see myself on that stretch of road any time soon.

Resident Curmudgeon
    One of the most disturbing calls I ever worked on Skyline was that of a cyclist that died on 35 by Alpine road. There was nothing we could do for him. he was dead before he ever hit the ground. I remember pulling away in the rescue, leaving him with the sheriff. In my mirror I could see his bike on the shoulder and that yellow tarp with his legs and cycling shoes sticking out of one end. All three of us on that rig were cyclists I don't think a word was spoken on the way back to the station. our eyes said it all. I stopped riding Skyline on my road bike after that.

my deepest sympathies go out to his family for their loss
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

The Uber Carnivore
    It's back in the news:

Bicyclist killed in Auburn crash is identified by coroner | The Sacramento Bee

After I got hit about six years ago, I cut way back on road cycling. (Driver was using his mobile device.) Mainly stick to the American River recreation trail in Sac now.

mtbr member
    I got hit in Tahoe a few years ago. I hardly ride the road anymore. I just stick to the parkway trail if I'm out on my road bike.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Punk View Post
    It's back in the news:

Bicyclist killed in Auburn crash is identified by coroner | The Sacramento Bee

After I got hit about six years ago, I cut way back on road cycling. (Driver was using his mobile device.) Mainly stick to the American River recreation trail in Sac now.
    When that group in Michigan got hit last summer and 6 were killed, I called my wife and told her I was selling my road bike. She thanked me. It's just not worth it, plus the dirt is more fun. The road has it's positives but they aren't worth the danger of cars.

Ride On!
    Stories like this keep me from getting a road bike and joining in on the fun. With that said, there is just so many beautiful women that ride road bikes, might make it worth the risk