mtbr member

Sacramento Bike Park?

Join us in developing a Pump Track / Dirt Jump park at Sutter's Landing on the American River Parkway. We have sufficient City support, but there are many who are trying to keep the bikes on the paved bike trail and want Sutter's Landing to be "passive" recreation only. We need your help by bringing as many bike riders as possible to this upcoming community meeting.

When: Wednesday, June 19th @ 7:00 pm
    Where: Sutter's Landing Skate Park

Sutter Bike Works on Facebook

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso Negro View Post
    Join us in developing a Pump Track / Dirt Jump park at Sutter's Landing on the American River Parkway. We have sufficient City support, but there are many who are trying to keep the bikes on the paved bike trail and want Sutter's Landing to be "passive" recreation only. We need your help by bringing as many bike riders as possible to this upcoming community meeting.

Where: Sutter's Landing Skate Park

Thanks for this info Oso Negro. As far as the opposition, can you give some more detail on that? Who is wanting to keep the bikes on the paved trail? Is that someone from the city, from a neighborhood group, or other organization? Where did you hear that?

Is the Sacramento Area Mountain Bike Association (SAMBA) run by Bob Horowitz still around? If so, have you gotten them involved? I seem to remember they had run some cyclocross races out at that park in the past with the Elgarts. Horowitz was also pursuing more mountain bike trail access along the river parkway, with the idea of developing the Discovery Loop Trail, which would run from Discovery Park to Sac State and include Sutter's Landing.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    Thanks for this info Oso Negro. As far as the opposition, can you give some more detail on that? Who is wanting to keep the bikes on the paved trail? Is that someone from the city, from a neighborhood group, or other organization? Where did you hear that?

Is the Sacramento Area Mountain Bike Association (SAMBA) run by Bob Horowitz still around? If so, have you gotten them involved? I seem to remember they had run some cyclocross races out at that park in the past with the Elgarts. Horowitz was also pursuing more mountain bike trail access along the river parkway, with the idea of developing the Discovery Loop Trail, which would run from Discovery Park to Sac State and include Sutter's Landing.
    Hey BOKCHOICOWBOY. Glad you are interested in this little project. FYI, OSO NEGRO and myself are fronting this effort. The primary concern or push back is coming from a local environmental group that wants to keep SLP as a passive recreation destination. Swainson's Hawk foraging habitat is their preferred mechanism to stop anything from happening on existing, otehrwise, questionable dirt area.

I've met with Robert, he is onboard. As is FATRAC (they obsorbed SAMBA), SABA and the City Parks Commision. So we have the support of a few advocacy groups and the city. Now we need people who will ride a pump track to show up and voice their support. June 19th at 7pm at the skate park at SLP. Hope to see you and all your buddies there. Bring kids, too if you have any. We need to inlcude the little ones.

Air Pirate
    Thanks for the info, Leveerider. I have that date marked on the calendar.

I just took a look at the FATRAC webpage and see nothing posted in the "events" calendar (in fact, their homepage shows the last posting July of 2012.) It looks like they have abandoned that page in favor of Meetup and Twitter.

Make sure you guys keep info flowing and bump this thread as the meeting date gets closer.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Cheesiest
    I'm interested and would definitely attend if I was t scheduled to be out of state at that time.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Reminder-
    The Community Meeting for the future of Sutter's Landing is tonight.
    This is not just about a pump track anymore. This meeting will be about any future "Active Recreation" at Sutter's Landing.
    We encourage all bike advocates to attend.

Where: Sutter's Landing (B Street Skate Park)

"When you ride hard on a mountain bike, sometimes you fall. Otherwise you're not riding hard.
    -- So, most of the time when you're riding hard and not falling (since you only fall sometimes), you aren't actually riding hard." W.

Dropshot Champ!
    sent out the word on facebook and to my local riding buddies.

In +10 or so.

Keep up the good work, thanks!

I'm really diggin it!

Sacramento Bike Park?

Flying home

Fingers crossed for you guys

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the support.
    You guys have some serious beer credits with us.
    Cheers!
    "When you ride hard on a mountain bike, sometimes you fall. Otherwise you're not riding hard.
    -- So, most of the time when you're riding hard and not falling (since you only fall sometimes), you aren't actually riding hard." W.

It's about showing up.
    Report Back!!
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    prolly a couple hunnerd peeps at the meeting.

was hosted by the local city councilman and a bunch of parks and rec staffers, but leslie knope, tom haverford, and ron swanson were no shows

loco politico: "blah blah blah. this is the first of many meetings. blah blah blah. vision of the future. blah blah blah. a wide variety of interests with sometimes conflicting views of how the land should be utilized. blah blah blah...."

i'm all for conservation and all, but there were more than a few 'eco-nazis' at the meeting that were not only certifiably looney, but just plain g.d. annoying as well.

bottom line: land set aside for a proposed and as yet unfunded pump track / bmx course has been instead allocated to a funded solar panel farm. oh snap.

take away: pump track enthusiasts need to somehow gain political clout and form an alliance with the parks and rec peeple, youth groups, or whomever and to go head to head with those dayam krazee tree huggers.

on facebook: sutter bike works
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

I'm really diggin it!

Sacramento Bike Park?

Really?

What about working with the environment groups? Bike parks are heathy.