2012 Race: April 28th!

S. Fork Trinity River - advice/suggestions?

Heading over to ride the epic S Fork of the Trinity River trail this weekend. I know a couple of folks made the trip this summer. Anybody have any suggestions or tips?
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Have fun!

It's a pretty mellow trail technically - the tough sections are crossing drainages, so they are short, technical bursts. Lots and lots of corners. My suggestions:

Give yourself lots of time. The trail gets better as you go. It takes about 5-6 hours to get to the end and back. 36 miles of solid singletrack. I saw singletrack in my dreams that night.
    Bring technu or similar. You'll go through a patch of oak or two.
    Bring your climbing legs. There is more up than you think, but it's much faster going back.
    I'm told the water in the little drainages feeding the Trinity is good to drink. This was from a backcountry resident, and I'm buying it because they are spring fed and there are no cattle upstream. If you don't want to drink from those, bring lots of water.
    Biggie: be self-sufficient. Absolutely no services and no way out but the way you came.

It takes about half an hour from the bridge before it actually turns to singletrack, but it's a fun little section of fireroad/doubletrack.

Have a blast and report back!

mtbr member
    This is out in the sticks near Forest Glen, Highway 36, correct?

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    "This is out in the sticks near Forest Glen, Highway 36, correct?"

yup

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjp
    "This is out in the sticks near Forest Glen, Highway 36, correct?"

yup

How are the trails near Shelter Cove coming by the way?

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Excerpt of a report from King range - it's coming along really well, but I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been out there. Been working closer to Willow Creek, resurrecting a classic trail. We're going to be rolling in trails withing 3-4 years if things keep up like this. I like.

Joey and Dwayne got an incredible amount of work done and the rain
    > only
    > shut them down for two days. Right now, it is dry enough to ride -
    > Tyce
    > and my son and I rode the whole thing (well, we carried our bikes a
    > few
    > times) on Sunday. We were spent when we finished. Some sections
    > are not
    > really complete - they need to settle for the winter and then get some
    > additional work in the spring; some don't have a tread yet, but the
    > corridor is more or less rideable; and some are flat-out killer
    > mountain
    > biking.

Thanks for the tips tjp. I'm guessing the poison oak will be mostly dried up now, and there is no way I'm drinking from the streams, we'll bring a filter. Sounds like it'll be ss friendly, so 4 of the 5 of us will probably ride ss Its supposed to be in the low 80's in Redding, it rained last week, so conditions should be perfect! I'll take a few pics and post a ride report next week.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member

Where is the trailhead?

Is the trailhead easy to find and is the trail easy to follow, or are there multiple off-shoots to get lost on?
    Speaking as a completely objective, third party outsider with absolutely no personal interest in the matter...

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Couldn't be easier - Head upstream from hell gate camp, cross the river on the cable bridge, head upstream until you can't pedal anymore, turn around and come back. There are a couple of offshoots, but for the first time stay on the main trail.

Great ride!

This ride should be on everybody's must ride list! This is the best ride I've done in California, its almost Oakridge worthy! Hell Gate campground is conveniently located about a half mile from the trailhead.

We started just before 10 am at the trail head, it was barely 40 degrees, so we wore all the clothes we'd brought. The first bridge was still frosty on the shady side as was the grass. The first couple of miles is on a double track that runs along the shady side of the river, so we froze for the first 30 minutes or so. After a while the trail climbs a couple hundred feet above the river, and the temp warmed nicely.

We ended up with about 35.5 miles of singletrack and had the whole place to ourselves. In fact it didn't appear anyone had used the trail for a couple of weeks. The trail was very ss friendly, there were only a couple of spots that were too steep for me to ride. There are 2 trails that intersect the South Fork trail. Both head up and to the east, so I'd guess there is an opportunity to make a loop. Having said that, 35.5 miles was plenty for us on Saturday
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

The trail always stays within with 20-300 vertical feet of the river. Its not flat, it generally climbs on your way out as you head upstream. It has a very "flowey" feeling to it, especially on the way back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nice photos! Glad you had fun. Those photos bring back lots of good memories.

That's our summer camping site for birthday parties and such. There is a huge swimming hole just downstream of the campground for post-ride summer cooling off, lots of room for the kids to play, and killer road and mtb riding for the grownups. One of the best road rides I've ever done is Arcata to Hell Gate via Forest Service 1 (Titlow Hill road). 96 miles, 12K vertical. We saw 8 cars in the last 70 miles. There are also some great road loops out toward Hayfork. Everything you could ever want in a bike camp.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report and pictures. Looks pretty sweet.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Ron, those big wheels still work on trails like those, or we're you guys just making the best of the situation? Great pics.

I'm way jealous. With your Oakville statement, that just put the trail on my visit list. Thanks!

The trail reminded me of the lower part of Middle Fork trail. Fast flowing singletrack with a limited number of dismounts. It would be perfect for a weekend get away trip.
    www.shastalemurian.com!!

mtbr member

Oh yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by LemurianGuy
    . It would be perfect for a weekend get away trip.
    That's been one of my favorites ever since we did a Labor Day weekend trip there a few years ago! What a time...great riding, pot-luck BBQ, some home-brew, the swimming hole. Excellent!

I thought about doing an event there and even scouted out a way of doing it as a big loop. As you enter the camp ground from 36 take the first fireroad on the left. It will climb up over the canyon and eventually drop in onto the singletrack for a mostly downhill return to camp. But actually, it's more fun as an out-and-back like you did.

Bigfoot

dw22107
    Jan 2008

Trinity Trail

Has anybody been on this trail lately? I had thoughts of riding it sometime this summer. Is the fishing good? I have a 6 piece fly rod which I was thinking of putting in the backpack. Has anybody had any recents visits to the area. Any input would be great. Thanks, DW

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Haven't ridden yet this year, but keep in mind the SF is closed to fishing above hwy 36.