mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Royal Gorge recreation vision public process

MTBR Community,
    The Truckee Donner Land Trust is facilitating a public process to discuss the recreation vision for the Royal Gorge property, acquired last December. There will be public meetings on June 15 (on Donner Summit at Donner Trail School in Kingvale) and June 17 at the Cedar House in Truckee. There will be tables to discuss trails at both meetings. Please check out Donner Summit's Royal Gorge Property for details on the meetings and the process in general. There is a link to the recreational survey on the site, but here is a shortcut: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/S3Y3RDW
    Please note that the trails, existing and future will be open to non-motorized use, and there WILL be trails open to hikers, mountain bikers, and equestrians. Also, management decisions will not be based on who gets the most votes; we are looking to gain a larger understanding of trends the public would like to see.
    Thanks,
    John Svahn
    Stewardship Director
    Truckee Donner Land Trust

Paper or plastic?
    Can you make plans for one flow/technical trail for MTBers?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Zorg,
    thanks for the comment; i was just about to bump this up the list again.
    Curious, are you talking about a Tamarancho-type flow/berm trail or a rocky/techy trail with flow, kinda like the section of TRT we rode last week?
    Thanks,
    john
    PS, just one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Been riding here for quite some time. Not much use at all in the past. There's been some trail building on the land that could be legitimized.

I really think this is a great area for MTB specific trails. There's enough ski trails that some could be MTB and other's designated Hiking/Horse.

Another idea would be for the MTB specific be downhill only, and not allow MTB users to go downhill on hiking trails. That would also work to segregate users.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Svahn View Post
    Zorg,
    Curious, are you talking about a Tamarancho-type flow/berm trail or a rocky/techy trail with flow, kinda like the section of TRT we rode last week?
    Thanks,
    john
    PS, just one?
    The more trails, the merrier. I think that Jeff's idea is a good one. Having a few downhill segments dedicated to MTB would be nice. Whether it's a rocky techy trail, or some kind of flowy trail, or both, it'd be nice to have something specific to MTB and DH only.

I don't know the area well enough, but if you can figure out a small loop with not much elevation to go ride with kids, that'd be awesome. You gotta start them young.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffcsmith View Post

Another idea would be for the MTB specific be downhill only, and not allow MTB users to go downhill on hiking trails. That would also work to segregate users.
    That's a cool idea.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by John Svahn View Post
    Zorg,
    Thanks,
    john
    PS, just one?

I like the way you think John.
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep
    No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?

(aka "grace")
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGordo View Post
    [/B]
    I like the way you think John.
    me too!

looking forward to the planning process!

More Torque
    I won't be able to attend the meeting, but I just completed the survey. Looking forward to seeing the progress of this project.

-D

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Bump to be sure everyone saw this and the survey link

mtbr member
    Just filled mine out!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just filled out my survey ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I just submitted a survey. I must say that the wording and design of the form is definitely stacked in favor of those who prefer not to share trails and like to cite conflict.

mtb'er
    ^ I thought there were some interestingly worded questions as well... but it covers the gamut of what needs to be considered moving forward.

mtbr member
    Not only that, it forces you to rank things you just don't care about at all which seems like it could lead to some weird and unintended conclusions.

mtbr member
    All the more reason for bikers to fill this survey out & stress multi use trails, cause you know the haters are rallying.

(aka "grace")
    Quote Originally Posted by memine View Post
    I just submitted a survey. I must say that the wording and design of the form is definitely stacked in favor of those who prefer not to share trails and like to cite conflict.
    I didn't take it that way; personally I like the opportunity to respond directly rather than having an unspoken "elephant in the room." I like the broad range of questions and the interest in inclusive recreational approaches that work for a range of trail users.
    Looking forward to the Truckee kickoff meeting!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi,
    Thanks for the input everyone!
    What Grace mentioned was our thoughts; let's get everything out in the open on the front end. There was no intended slant toward or away from multi-use vs. use-segregation.
    Redhawk, I agree it is a little funky in places. There are some things that I am uninterested in personally, but am forced to rank. The idea is to force people to think past their personal interests, but there is not an opt out if you are disinterested in, or even anti. But I think it will shake out properly.
    Thanks again, and I look forward to seeing some of you at the meetings! Back to the grindstone writing up table discussion points for the meetings.
    john S

mtbr member
    Hi, John! In the first place, thanks for the opportunity to participate for those of us who can't come to the meeting!

My concern about the survey design is not a concern about thinking past anyone's personal interest. It's a concern about the possibility of the forced choice leading to incorrect conclusions. Not being a pollster by training, I don't really know if this is a legitimate concern but I know enough to know that design matters. When I have to rank strollers, rock climbers and equestrians, what's the significance of ranking one above the other? I really don't want anybody shut out. (Except the haters, that is.) Thanks again!