Paper or plastic?

Royal Gorge to be purchased by conservation group (Truckee)

Conservation groups to buy Royal Gorge property for $11.25M | SierraSun.com

Hopefully that'll open more trails to MTBing and expand the DLRT.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

eBiker
    Nice! The article talks about "the implementation and maintenance of recreational trails"

Sac Bee picked it up too: Environmental coalition agrees to buy Royal Gorge Cross Country Ski Resort near Truckee - Business - The Sacramento Bee

Here is a map

P

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Cool. This is where the 8 & 24 HR Race Against Cancer is happening this weekend. So sign on up and check out some of the already existing trails -> Global Biorhythm Events

mtbr member
    This is huge news! Congrats to JS!
    Always respect rangers, they are doing their job-Everyone else has no authority, so get out of the way of the of the ATrain!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Not exactly final

According to my friends involved in these negotiations at TPL. One was very surprised at these stories.

But TPL has a huge record of success, so they're very hopeful.

They've written bike access into other area land acquisitions... hopefully they can do so here too.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtb'er
    I'm going to bet that $13.5M will be raised before the deadline

FAQ's: http://www.tdlandtrust.org/sites/def...rge%20FAQs.pdf

Q. What would happen to the property if the necessary funds are not raised by December 2012?
    A. The property would revert back to control by creditor Armed Forces Bank.

Q. Will I be able to give my input regarding the future plans for Royal Gorge?
    A. Yes, starting in the spring of 2013, the Land Trust will begin an extensive outreach program to all concerned stakeholders to assist with developing a land management and recreation plan. You can be sure to be contacted for your input by signing up for the Truckee Donner Land Trustís e-newsletter from the home page of their website: Conservation, open space, recreation, trails | Truckee Donner Land Trust.

Paper or plastic?
    The article also mentions 300 acres in Negro Canyon. Hopefully, it can be used to expand the DLRT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Let's Buy It!

Zorg thanks for the post. Mr. P thanks for adding the map. If we can raise the funds it is very likely that mountain bike trials can be built on portions of this land. The General Manager at Sugar Bowl is very interested in seeing this happen as are a number of the home owners that live here in Serene Lakes. We are all working very hard right now to raise the funds. SLPOA (our homeowners association) has committed to raising $3,000,000 towards the purchase. We are currently at $1,400,000 and we have just concluded the "silent" part of our campaign. Now that the papers are signed and the land is in escrow we are rolling right into the "public" portions of the fund raising. After the land is purchased there will be a number of community forums to determine what and where trails can be built. If you want to keep up to date you can check out SLPOA's website periodically. If you are so inclined to donate there is a downloadable form on the website. If you are coming up for the race this Saturday make sure you catch our Burma Shave signs right after you get off Highway 80. They are on the right side of Old Hwy 40 just after you pass the gas station. There are also signs and banners all over the community if you have a chance to drive around. I'll be at the race with brochures if you want more information. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This is a big opportunity - we've had a place in Serene Lakes for many years and all those beautiful, empty summer trails in Royal Gorge covered in No Trespassing signs have been a constant source agitation.
    It would be nice to know some more details on the plan for opening up the trails for multi-use (and on the nature of Sugar Bowl's commitment to the xc-ski operation) but it sounds like that won't come until after the acquisition deadline.

pro leisure tour
    This is going to be a very cool place to ride in the not so distant future. The Serene Lakes Property Owners Association website is where the most current info can be found. Bookmark it and check back often!
    If you see someone without a smile, give them yours

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi gang,
    John from the Truckee Donner Land Trust here...
    Zorg- the N.C. Parcel won't have DLRT on it as the DLRT goes above it currently. But it will protect an important deer fawning, ohv, and winter rec spot. And who knows maybe we can put another loop trail through it in the future. That said we are flagging some other new DLRT on the north side of 80, and got word from the State that they will be flagging the south side across Schallenberger Ridge soon.

As Brah said Royal Gorge is not yet a done deal. We are really just at the starting line with a few million miles, er dollars between us and the finish line. But we are confident that we will arrive there! Trails are always at the forefront of the conversation. That's the tough part about acquisitions- I'm already daydreaming of putting in new trails when I should be reading title reports. As Cliff mentioned support from the mtb community is critical as is the community's involvement in the trail planning process.

Cliff- whazzup!

Paper or plastic?
    John,

Thanks for the update. Riding across Schallenberger ridge sounds like it would have great potential.

mtb'er
    The deal got done. Great job TDLT, and all who made it possible!

Article: Landmark land deal protects key piece of Sierra Nevada - San Jose Mercury News
    Press Release: http://tdlandtrust.org/sites/default...%20release.pdf

More Torque
    Great news indeed. While I've only hiked and trail run in the immediate area (other than HITG), I'm stoked that the more of the area is being preserved. I've seen EB's awesome write-ups of the adventure riding in the area, and I hope to check out some of the more remote trails by bike.

As an aside, some fellow MTBR members and I rented a large cabin near there last summer, and I really liked the location. It seemed to be a tad cheaper than the Truckee options, the drive from the BA seemed shorter, it was close enough to town and north Tahoe for other excursions. We could also easily ride HITG w/o getting in the cars. The only downsides were the train (infrequent but loud) and distance from south shore, though we do enough trips up there that we usually stick to north or south, depending on where we stay.

-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Royal Gorge to be purchased by conservation group (Truckee)-2011_08_19_tahoe_62rs.jpg  

mtbr member
    Great news!!! To all those that helped make it happen, my hats off to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

Paper or plastic?
    Can't wait to see it become a mountain bike heaven.

Thanks JS and all involved.

President of the Internet
    Are those trails legal to ride now? I'm guessing no...
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    Great news!!! To all those that helped make it happen, my hats off to you!

This is a wonderful xmas present, to have this finalized!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hi there,
    The trails are under a lot of snow!
    The ski area is open.
    The existing trails (mostly roads but the roads open up major trail connections) will be open when the snow melts. Currently I am working on a trails master plan. We will have a series of public meetings this summer to gather input...
    Thanks,
    john
    Ps on behalf of the Truckee Donner Land Trust, thanks for your support, partnerships, and donations!