mtbr member

Route from Rodeo Lagoon, Marin Headlands

My son is attending 5th grade science camp in the Marin Headlands next to Rodeo Lagoon. I've volunteered to drive some of the kids and was hoping to work in a ride after I drop them off. They're going up Wednesday morning and coming home Friday. Due to rain, it looks like Wednesday is out, but if I leave early enough Friday morning, I should be able to sneak in a ride before I have to pick them up at noon.

My planned ride route from Rodeo Lagoon is: Miwok--Old Springs--Tennessee Valley--Coastal--Dias Ridge Fire Road--Miwok--Marincello--Bobcat--Rodeo Lagoon

As an alternative, I could take Dias Ridge in the other direction by going --Coastal--Coyote Ridge--Miwok--Dias Ridge--Middle Green Gulch or Coastal--Coyote Ridge--Miwok--

I plan to give myself 3.5 hours to complete the loop.

So, which is the preferred direction for Dias Ridge? And what will the trail conditions be like 48 hours after rain?

mtbr member
    Is there any doubt that Dias Ridge will be more fun in the downhill direction just as any trail would? Now, if that will be worth the direction switch of the other trails on your route is a different matter. But, considering Dias is one of the few trails on your route that is at least partially a singletrack, along with Old Springs, as long as you can do those two downhill, I think it will be preferable.

I seem to remember those trails as being fairly rocky and the entire Dias Ridge is devoid of tree cover. So, your chances for finding good trail conditions 48 hours after the last rain at least on Dias Ridge is pretty good, I would say.
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    The trails will probably be bone dry by the time you make it out there. If you're in decent shape, you should be able to burn quite a bit of mileage in a 3.5 hour window.

I'd go with your first route except I'd tweak it a bit:

Miwok--Old Springs--Tennessee Valley--Coastal--Coyote Ridge Singletrack , Dias Ridge, up Middle Green Gulch, down Miwok to Tennessee Valley

Here's another good one, throws Coastal in the mix too.

mtbr member
    Ben, that looks like a nice ride, any chance of sending me a PM, or posting with the route?

Thanks,
    Oliver

Dropshot Champ!
    I remember going to 5th grade camp at marin headlands. Time of my life! Seriously one of the best field trips ever!

I'm jealous.

Lusus Naturae
    Whoa! Coyote Ridge Singletrack what? Wish I'd known about that last time I rolled down the fireroad.

Also, I find it difficult to really ride Diaz Ridge downhill very fast. There's tons of evil water dips/bars and lots of blind corners. Its a great uphill climb though. Same with Coastal singletrack from Hwy1, although that is at least funner to go down quite a bit faster.

Haus' recommendation looks good. Is Middle Green Gulch open for riding? (yes, I know its uphill only)

mtbr member
    The Coyote Ridge singletrack is pretty easy to find, it starts at the very top of the hill where there's an observation marker. You'll see a trail that heads north through the brush- that's it. The brush is a bit thick at the beginning, but I really like the final chute that leads to the road. I agree with you on Diaz Ridge- a damn boring trail for bikes : /
    There are some other "unofficial" trails out that way that are pretty fun- but most of them aren't that long.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    The Coyote Ridge singletrack is pretty easy to find, it starts at the very top of the hill where there's an observation marker. You'll see a trail that heads north through the brush- that's it. The brush is a bit thick at the beginning, but I really like the final chute that leads to the road. I agree with you on Diaz Ridge- a damn boring trail for bikes : /
    There are some other "unofficial" trails out that way that are pretty fun- but most of them aren't that long.
    Haus-I've only done the begining upper part of Diaz from Panoramic/1 to get to the trail that drops to Muir Woods Rd/Volunteer Fire Dept grounds. As others have said about descending Diaz, is there any reason not to climb Diaz and continue with a decent(i.e. worth while) route getting over to Coastal? Not as familiar with this area as the North Marin area rides you and I both do frequently.

Thanks in advance.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I need to figure out where these new trails are. I haven't ventured over to Muir beach from the headlands but I should if there's nice trails to ride on. I usually head up to the top of coyote ridge and turn around to descend back to Tenn valley and then over to climb Old Springs...where can you get to these trails from a bike inside the headlands (sorry if this is a thread jack of sorts)? Thx.

mtbr member
    Diaz ridge is probably one of the most boring trails for a biker in the area. I find coastal pretty damn boring too, it's saving grace are the awesome views, and a couple cool rocks and lips you can play around on at the very top. For Diaz Ridge, I've been using a plan B option that's better left unmentioned. I'm typically riding the headlands because it's on my way home from work, and it's an easy way to add mileage and elevation. The views are top notch, but most of the trails are pretty boring, especially when you're only ride is a 160mm bike. There are a few technical sections and white knuckle descents out that way, but they all seem to be over way too fast. It sucks, because the soil and rock composition of the headlands, is pretty much the same as Pacifica, which means it has potential, but GGNRA would never let that happen on this side of the Golden Gate. I may have to hook up the go pro chest mount and tease you with a few of these sections!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Diaz ridge is probably one of the most boring trails for a biker in the area. I find coastal pretty damn boring too, it's saving grace are the awesome views, and a couple cool rocks and lips you can play around on at the very top. For Diaz Ridge, I've been using a plan B option that's better left unmentioned. I'm typically riding the headlands because it's on my way home from work, and it's an easy way to add mileage and elevation. The views are top notch, but most of the trails are pretty boring, especially when you're only ride is a 160mm bike. There are a few technical sections and white knuckle descents out that way, but they all seem to be over way too fast. It sucks, because the soil and rock composition of the headlands, is pretty much the same as Pacifica, which means it has potential, but GGNRA would never let that happen on this side of the Golden Gate. I may have to hook up the go pro chest mount and tease you with a few of these sections!

Yeah I kinda know the area, just not as "intimately" as you per say since I'm usually following a wheel. I think I know the other trails you mention and I'll leave it at that..
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know the headlands is boring, but sometimes I like riding there to get some good climbing in and because the scenery is outstanding. From looking at the 2007 map, it looks like I can get to Muir from the top of coyote ridge by heading down and finding Miwok and heading left. It looks like Diaz ridge is a left turn off Miwok, then go to Muir. From there I guess you climb back out Green gulch from the other side of Rt 1. That looks like the official route anyway.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the information on Dias Ridge and Coyote Ridge trails. I think I'll take both in the downhill direction and ride up Middle Green Gulch.