mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Route Advice: Downieville -> Rocky Rest CG

I've only been to Downieville once and will be riding solo this time. What trails are recommended if riding solo and will any routes lead me back to my campground?

I know there's a lot of cliff exposure, should I avoid certain trails or just take it easy?

My plan is to get a ride from the campground to Downieville, take the shuttle up, and ride back to the campground (If I can find the route)..

EDIT: Think I found a route.. looks like I can actually ride back from town to Rocky Vest via North Yuba Trail. Is one way easier than the other? Can I ride to Downieville from the camp site or is it a crappy climb?

Last edited by SafetySecond; 06-14-2012 at 02:36 AM.

bicycle rider
    Rocky Rest to Downieville is a significant ride. Here it is, out and back, starting from town. For most people, that would be enough for one day. Doing that plus a shuttle is quite do-able, but then getting back on the North Yuba and riding back to Rocky Rest is going to be tough! I've done Rocky Rest - Downieville - 1st uphill - 3rd uphill, then back down 3rd to 1st, and when offered a ride back to Rocky Rest, happily took it!

You can ride the road from RR to Downieville or vice versa, it's not so bad. It's generally uphill from RR and generally downhill from Downieville.

The N. Yuba trail isn't really easier in either direction. There's a stiff climb from Downieville that can hurt on the way out, that is really worth riding downhill on the way back to town.

I have ridden Halls Ranch. Did not really dig it. It's a throttle-twister trail; steep climbs, steep descents, not much flow.

Make sure you get some swimming in!

Morgan

Older & Slower
    Sorry to high jack this thread...

Hey Morgan...I PM'd you.