Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rose to Toads - Uber Punisher Solo Ride

Well almost solo. My sweetie shuttled me to the start on Mt. Rose Highway and then rode up Oneida / Armstrong Connector to meet me at Armstrong Pass many hours later and finish the ride down Toads with me.

I started out at 5:30 am to give plenty of daylight and to make our dinner reservation at our favorite restaurant in South Shore (Café Fiore). I had the Rose to Spooner section all to myself due to the early hour and it was as quiet on Spooner to Kingsbury until I ran into a few folks towards the end of that section. Conditions were good, and the temps were ideal for the sometimes dreaded climb up to the Bench.

The new TRT section down to Kingsbury is great and obviously built with bikes in mind. At Kingsbury you have to head downhill to make the connection across to the new trail on the west side. Losing all that elevation was a bit alarming, as I knew the new trail up to Stagecoach, the normal start of the Punisher ride, was going to be tougher than the usual pavement spin to make the connection.

At the start of the Punisher, I finally sat down to a short rest and to fuel up. The going gets tough here with spectacular views into Nevada, and lots of fun rocky terrain. Those step-ups onto rocky ledges would prove to get a little harder as the day wore on.
    Once I made it to Star I pumped water and relaxed a bit. The climb up Freel Peak is pretty easy, though the high point is about 9700’, and I was looking forward to the incredible descent down the other side. This would be my second trip over Freel for the season having done the Punisher a week earlier with Melinda.

As expected the descent was spectacular and there was only one more pretty good climb to get over to Toads. I met up with Melinda, and we soon passed a couple suffering riders doing the Armstrong to Toads Loop. Like me, they would soon forget about their suffering once they started descending. Only saw 4 other riders and a couple hikers all day!

After some top of the world views it was all downhill. Dropping into Toads with nearly 60 miles and almost 9000 feet of climbing completed was an interesting experience. Veal Saltimbocca in a Marsala sauce and a great Cabernet rounded out the day. This has to be one of the sweetest rides anywhere.

Morning Glow
    Rose to Toads - Uber Punisher Solo Ride-morning-glow.jpg

Genoa Bench
    Rose to Toads - Uber Punisher Solo Ride-genoa-bench.jpg

Freel Pass
    Rose to Toads - Uber Punisher Solo Ride-freel-pass.jpg

Big Tree
    Rose to Toads - Uber Punisher Solo Ride-giant.jpg

Top of the World
    Rose to Toads - Uber Punisher Solo Ride-top-world.jpg

Toads
    Rose to Toads - Uber Punisher Solo Ride-toads.jpg

Fini
    Rose to Toads - Uber Punisher Solo Ride-fini.jpg

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    Well almost solo. My sweetie shuttled me to the start on Mt. Rose Highway and then rode up Oneida / Armstrong Connector to meet me at Armstrong Pass many hours later and finish the ride down Toads with me.

I started out at 5:30 am to give plenty of daylight and to make our dinner reservation at our favorite restaurant in South Shore (Café Fiore). I had the Rose to Spooner section all to myself due to the early hour and it was as quiet on Spooner to Kingsbury until I ran into a few folks towards the end of that section. Conditions were good, and the temps were ideal for the sometimes dreaded climb up to the Bench.

The new TRT section down to Kingsbury is great and obviously built with bikes in mind. At Kingsbury you have to head downhill to make the connection across to the new trail on the west side. Losing all that elevation was a bit alarming, as I knew the new trail up to Stagecoach, the normal start of the Punisher ride, was going to be tougher than the usual pavement spin to make the connection.

At the start of the Punisher, I finally sat down to a short rest and to fuel up. The going gets tough here with spectacular views into Nevada, and lots of fun rocky terrain. Those step-ups onto rocky ledges would prove to get a little harder as the day wore on.
    Once I made it to Star I pumped water and relaxed a bit. The climb up Freel Peak is pretty easy, though the high point is about 9700’, and I was looking forward to the incredible descent down the other side. This would be my second trip over Freel for the season having done the Punisher a week earlier with Melinda.

As expected the descent was spectacular and there was only one more pretty good climb to get over to Toads. I met up with Melinda, and we soon passed a couple suffering riders doing the Armstrong to Toads Loop. Like me, they would soon forget about their suffering once they started descending. Only saw 4 other riders and a couple hikers all day!

After some top of the world views it was all downhill. Dropping into Toads with nearly 60 miles and almost 9000 feet of climbing completed was an interesting experience. Veal Saltimbocca in a Marsala sauce and a great Cabernet rounded out the day. This has to be one of the sweetest rides anywhere.

Morning Glow
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Morning Glow.jpg 
Views:	907 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	634580

Genoa Bench

Name:	Genoa Bench.jpg 
Views:	981 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	634581

Freel Pass

Name:	Freel Pass.jpg 
Views:	854 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	634585

Big Tree

Name:	Giant.jpg 
Views:	992 
Size:	364.1 KB 
ID:	634582

Top of the World

Name:	Top of the World.jpg 
Views:	859 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	634586

Toads

Name:	Toads.jpg 
Views:	944 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	634583

Fini

Name:	Fini.jpg 
Views:	838 
Size:	413.9 KB 
ID:	634584
    That's one helleva ride. Going solo's ballsy. did you have cell reception up there?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    I called Melinda from Kingsbury area to let her know she should start thinking about heading over to Oneida/Armstrong to start pedaling up to meet me. That worked fine. Cell coverage comes and goes in the high country there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice work.

ask
    user
    nice ride.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    mans game. nice ride. thanks for sharing
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Nice going Ron. Wish I could pull that one off, but I don't have a whole lot left after the standard punisher. Props for doing it solo!

BTW - who took the "top of the world" photo?

(did you drink the Blind Pig to celebrate?)
    I like to bike.

Dropshot Champ!
    great ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This ride is on my list.... done most of those sections, but never all at once, nice job
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Nice job! The two times I've done it have been solo also. Nothing cooler than watching the sunrise on the Rose section.

mtbr member
    Nice!!

mtbr member
    Fairfaxian: Melinda rode up to Armstrong Pass and finished the last climb and descended Toads with me. Yes, I owe you a shitload of Blind Pig beer. I look forward to that! Let's schedule something soon.

Nutball: Ya, I actually left by moonlight and watched the sun come up about 5 miles in. Pretty amazing. Nothing like it.

mtbr member
    Nice work, that's when I normally try to start also, something special about being up there that early especially solo and no one is around, fun to be able to hammer through the flume without a sole to worry about.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Awesome. I really want to do this ride sometime.

mtbr member
    So did you "cheat" & take the Flume or opt for our recent "fun" variation?
    I like to bike.

www.derbyrims.com
    Truly epic!

NedwannaB
    Uber for sure! And with stops for pix too!! Nice job.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    JMac: Ya the pix slowed me down! Funny how towards at the end they were out of focus, aimed poorly and basically lame. If the ride had been much longer I'm not sure I would have remembered how to operate the camera. Some years back I climbed a 20,000'++ peak in South America. I had a GPS with me that while at the summit completely mystified me, despite its simple operation 5000' lower.

NedwannaB
    No that's cool. Just impressed with the ride! Didn't look like no "sissy" xc bike either.
    We're do back up there mid sept for an mtb group weekend and are planning something similar for the "big" ride.....as in partial....only one other in group could even think about that complete route of yours, let alone partake in doing it.

mtbr member
    JMac: Your group might enjoy the regular "Punisher" from Stagecoach to Toads. It's got some hike-a-bike but the ride really samples some of the best terrain in Tahoe. You can also bail early at Armstrong Pass, and still have a fun downhill. Sept should be great.

NedwannaB

We've sampled some

Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    JMac: Your group might enjoy the regular "Punisher" from Stagecoach to Toads. It's got some hike-a-bike but the ride really samples some of the best terrain in Tahoe. You can also bail early at Armstrong Pass, and still have a fun downhill. Sept should be great.
    Just not all. One group ride will most likely be Rose-Marlette Peak-Chimney Beach. Then probably a Spooner-Kings, then split with some bailing over to Onidas and do some Connector/corral shuttle runs while we cross over to new section (Stagecoach??) To Freel/Starr and drop Armstrong/lower connector/corral etc. Think that will get our fix on!

mtbr member
    Very cool, and I'm impressed you had the energy for "date" at Cafe Fiore following the ride!
    Support TAMBA (Tahoe Area Mountain Biking Association) http://mountainbiketahoe.org/

NedwannaB

It's Obvious!

Quote Originally Posted by benjaminj View Post
    Very cool, and I'm impressed you had the energy for "date" at Cafe Fiore following the ride!
    The ronski is a hopeless romantic with his partner aswell as his MtB'ing.....
    Last edited by JMac47; 08-22-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ronski, the pix you posted from your "Lil' spin" (Jeez!) are all sharp, well aimed, not lame.
    I especially like photo 2 Genoa Bench- your pony powder coated with trail goodness, blending with the bench, rock, lichen, geography, Desolation Wilderness.
    You probably didn't even sit on that bench for a spell- aiming for the next trail moment, dreaming of perhaps the Toads descent... Thanks for the pix!

mtbr member
    Super Kudos!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast