Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    500

    Rose to Toads: Daggets Pass routefinding

    I'm toying with trying the whole rose>toads ride this week. Felt good doing Rose>Van Sickle monday with a late start, and ticking the whole enchilada would be a bucket list thing for me, although definitely would take it to another level.

    Question on routefinding: what is the best way through Daggets Pass?

    Would it make more sense to stay high and hit Daggetts Pass and thence up through Heavenly rather than going TRT the whole way? I'll need to refill water and maybe grab a snickers bar? Is there a 'proper' or standard rose to toads route that doing this would violate? I'd prefer not to add additional climbing for the sake of purity, but...

    Monday I followed the TRT, crossing Kingsbury Grade below the pass at the (new?) steps, and continuing up to Van Sickle connector. I found the routefinding confusing starting where TRT crosses Kingsbury Stinger. Several new trails in this area, it seems. So any description (pictures?!) would be most welcome.

    I'm without GPS, unfortunately!

    Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rose to Toads: Daggets Pass routefinding-img_2966.jpg  

    Rose to Toads: Daggets Pass routefinding-img_2950.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: benjaminj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    224
    I like to take the new section of Rim Trail past Castle Rock and hit Kingsbury, but then pedal road for a mile or so to the little market on Tramway to refill on snacks and drinks. Then pedal to Stagecoach and hit trail again there.

    Here's a write up from our group ride last year: Rose to Toads 2011 |

    and a gps: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Mt Rose to Mr Toads (solo) near Reno | Times and Records | Strava

    Have fun, that ride is the best. Amazing to be able to do it in June!
    Join us on the ride again with TAMBA on Sept 2nd.
    Support TAMBA (Tahoe Area Mountain Biking Association) http://mountainbiketahoe.org/

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    491
    Jesus. Seven hours is trucking. Were you being chased by a bear? I attempted this Monday and botched it horribly. I took a few wrong turns around the Wilderness detour and then accidently dropped Armstrong.

    The TRT is perhaps my new favorite ride. Ridiculous trail quality and stupendous views all day.

    You come to a campground with water fairly early, fill up there. Its dry for a ways after that.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    500
    Thanks, this is helpful!

    And yes, you hauled ass on that mo'f! It took me 8 hr shuttle to taxi to do Rose to Van Sickle! Just hope i can do it before dark, and at all!


    Quote Originally Posted by benjaminj View Post
    I like to take the new section of Rim Trail past Castle Rock and hit Kingsbury, but then pedal road for a mile or so to the little market on Tramway to refill on snacks and drinks. Then pedal to Stagecoach and hit trail again there.

    Here's a write up from our group ride last year: Rose to Toads 2011 |

    and a gps: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Mt Rose to Mr Toads (solo) near Reno | Times and Records | Strava

    Have fun, that ride is the best. Amazing to be able to do it in June!
    Join us on the ride again with TAMBA on Sept 2nd.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    415
    I laughed thinking about Ben being chased by a bear all of the way from Mt Rose to Toads.

    My goal is just to be able to ride from Rose to Toads by this September 2nd ride.
    Support TAMBA (Tahoe Area Mountain Biking Association) http://mountainbiketahoe.org/

  6. #6
    huckit
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    78
    Three of us did Rose to Toads yesterday, (cough cough sick from work)
    and were totally psyched to get it in June! As for the connector, we took the road through
    the neighborhood to Stagecoach area. Being able to hit the mini mart for lunch is huge, don't
    know if I would want to miss out on that. A fun ride to say the least, have a blast!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TahoeBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,450
    No matter how you connect it a huge ride. Last fall with Tamba. Okie Dokie and myself took the new trail bypassing the market, with the the cooler fall temps I made it to the stream 1/2 mile past Star lake that I'll drink out of without a filter, do not think I could make from Spooner to that spot this time of year without a water filter or a stop at the store.

    So yea riding down the new trail to Kingsbury, then the road to the store and Stagecoach is a perfectly acceptable thing to do and takes nothing away from the accomplishment.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,787

    just remember

    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    No matter how you connect it a huge ride. Last fall with Tamba. Okie Dokie and myself took the new trail bypassing the market, with the the cooler fall temps I made it to the stream 1/2 mile past Star lake that I'll drink out of without a filter, do not think I could make from Spooner to that spot this time of year without a water filter or a stop at the store.

    So yea riding down the new trail to Kingsbury, then the road to the store and Stagecoach is a perfectly acceptable thing to do and takes nothing away from the accomplishment.
    eating a microwave bean burrito from the store and then finishing a 60+ mile ride is a very bad idea.
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

    www.goapc.org

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TahoeBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,450
    But so is doing it on a fully rigid bike, but neither stopped you

    You should try and do this with Tamba this fall Steve, I have other projects in mind for ya next month!
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TahoeBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,450
    Also you could probably be the first to incorporate another new section of the TRT for the Rose to Toads, although it's not complete yet, you can ride the section that is.

    Continue on the Bench section of the TRT out to North Benjamin, ride downhill to Donna Way and climb up and take a right on Kimberly Brooke Ln, this turns into a fireroad and the end, ride up this until the road splits , then go right, up not to far on your right will be a new section of the TRT that would be hard to miss. You can then ride down this to the Top of Kingsbury Grade and onto the Tramway right to the Store.

    In either case if you go by the store ride up the road till right before it drops down hill towards the lift, there will be a right hand turn you can make at the sign for Eagles nest, continue up the road through a couple of gates, the last one being one for Heavenly and take that to the beginning of the TRT, this will bypass a nasty sandy uphill climb that most have to walk.

    This track will give you a visual of the route to Tramway
    MTBGuru: mashing up GPS data, photos and maps to share mountain biking, road bike, hiking and other outdoor experiences
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    500
    That was the best ride I've ever done in my life.
    7/9 hours is ridiculous
    More later...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,225
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
    That was the best ride I've ever done in my life.
    7/9 hours is ridiculous
    More later...
    Still have this on my list. Looks like such a great, punishing ride. Looking forward to a full report of your accomplishment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •