Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rocky Ridge @ Santa Teresa Park

Any tips on getting down it faster? Not sure what other info I should post other than I have an FS bike and at mid-6 minutes now. Would like to break 6 minutes (or less) consistently. I practice up 'n down it from time to time, but not getting much faster. Thanks in advance for any tips.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would suggest going down with someone much faster and follow his line.

mtbr member
    If you ride early in the morning with out the head wind you will cut down on the time. Sprinting on the flat sections is where you will see the most improvement on time if you are treating this like a TT. Also starting further back from the invisible starting line and sprinting through it will give you a nice rolling start. Other then that I don't think most of us could give you any more advice unless we knew how you were riding the technical sections or how you corner.

As fun as it is to cut time down on your descent, don't get caught up in it though. If you see people in front of you while you are chasing a PR... slow down! Just let it go and come back another day or time when there is less people and give it a go again. It's all for fun!

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    If you ride early in the morning with out the head wind you will cut down on the time. Sprinting on the flat sections is where you will see the most improvement on time if you are treating this like a TT. Also starting further back from the invisible starting line and sprinting through it will give you a nice rolling start. Other then that I don't think most of us could give you any more advice unless we knew how you were riding the technical sections or how you corner.

As fun as it is to cut time down on your descent, don't get caught up in it though. If you see people in front of you while you are chasing a PR... slow down! Just let it go and come back another day or time when there is less people and give it a go again. It's all for fun!
    This post is full of excellent info, especially the last part.
    It's also probably one of the worst trails to crash on, you are guaranteed to land in a pile of rocks...

Lower your seat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    First step: lower the seat a little. Second... Follow someone faster. Third, ride something with boingy bits.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Don't know about you guys, but I would not push it there without some pads and a full face. And some back protection, at least a backpack... Those rocky bits are kinda sharp to roll over at high rate of speed, if one eats it. I mean, I ride it on a little hardtail, and not particularly slow, but I would not try to go for personal records on this one..

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Don't do it on a yellow 1986 Rockhopper Comp with cantilever brakes.

Just don't.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Funny how that old cop guy that rides a fairy fart bike flies down that damn trail.

mtbr member
    Heard that old cop guy is super awesome and people fawn all over him!!! Have also heard he is a giant prick! All I know is that snowjnky wants to be more like him. I might be able to shed some light on this topic. I have done this run full bore on a full DH style bike (santa cruz bullit w/ Boxxer fork) and also on my fairy fart hardtail. It might seem hard to believe but the DH bike was only faster by 10 secs. I also had tube tires when I went fast on the hardtail so was worried about PF's. An earlier poster mentioned pinning it on the flat parts and I think that is the key. Unless we are all Mark Weir types the difference in the tech sections won't be that substantial. You have to gun it right from the start. I actually was doing a bunch of bunny hopping over rocky parts hoping not to PF or go off the trail. Easy to do and you get that pucker factor too. Do this trail a bunch of times before your official try and you'll remember parts and be ready for them.

Old man out!
    They never made the "Slowster"

bike buster
    Pin it on the flats and go over the rocks not around them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Going up with no dabs is much more of an accomplishment. But yeah, what everyone else said.
    Can we talk tires now?

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by jdubsl2 View Post
    Pin it on the flats and go over the rocks not around them.
    This. pedal hard up top. get lose on your bike. the art of a 2 inch bunny hop at speed will help you keep a straighter line. Oh yeah and practice.
    last bit of advice is that the trail will always be there so if another user(s) slow you down, imbrace it there is alwyas next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    Heard that old cop guy is super awesome and people fawn all over him!!! Have also heard he is a giant prick! All I know is that snowjnky wants to be more like him.!
    Rocky Ridge @ Santa Teresa Park-pm.jpg
    you mean that guy..yeah I heart him
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    Going up with no dabs is much more of an accomplishment. But yeah, what everyone else said.
    ehhh beating Dan's time would make my 2013 . No dabs can be done and once you do it you do it almost every other time. But breaking 5 minutes DH is a feat.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    *advice, goals, advice*
    Yeah... I know your secret weapon, homie.

Guys, we have a cheater. Mr. Jnky is using a special set-up for RR.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    just use all the "cheater" lines.

but that's no fun

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

DUDE you promised
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Snowjnky McDreamy

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    just use all the "cheater" lines.

but that's no fun
    I call them the fun lines
    Next time I will follow your lines.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by snowjnky View Post
    I call them the fun lines
    Next time I will follow your lines.
    I have no lines - I make them as I'm going down

and I like to coast the boring flat stuff

Snowjnky McDreamy

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    I have no lines - I make them as I'm going down

and I like to coast the boring flat stuff
    yes you do.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Gopro went dead around the big oak I also stopped to talk to Lporkstaker, but this shows you my "cheater lines" up top
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    For the record, Motorbacon hit his head on a tree branch on RR.

"What tree branch?" you ask...

Exactly.

Wēk Ss
    For the record, Motorbacon hit his head on a tree branch on RR.

"What tree branch?" you ask...

Exactly.
    That's the same tree where I let Mark Weir and his crew pass. fackers are fast. I was analyzing lines that day, walking up and down. They blew by, and I forgot to watch their lines. That kinda ticked me off, was too busy watching them and not their lines.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    That's the same tree where I let Mark Weir and his crew pass. fackers are fast. I was analyzing lines that day, walking up and down. They blew by, and I forgot to watch their lines. That kinda ticked me off, was too busy watching them and not their lines.
    That must be the same tree branch where I passed Mark Weir and his crew. I was like, "Hardtail on your left!" I had both earbuds in and was yelling loudly so I know he had to hear me. I remember I was rocking out to Dan Fogelberg "Leader of the band". My contour was videoing the ride and after I got down to the bridge and had time to stretch, Weir finally made it down. He asked me what line do I take and I told him, "I don't look for lines. I look deep inside myself and just feel the trail". The only tip I gave him was to try my advanced technique of closing your eyes every once in a while. I don't suggest this to everyone but saw that he rides pretty well. He looked at me like I was bat sh&t crazy but then he gave it a go. I think he might have set the KOM for the DH on that run. I was right behind him and only passed him once to just set up the camera to capture it. It was a great day. If you believe any of this story, I have a mythical tree branch on RR would like to show you!
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Pmarshall,

Please don't wear earbuds, you obviously couldn't hear me yelling "Unicycle behind, let me pass...."

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    That must be the same tree branch where I passed Mark Weir and his crew. I was like, "Hardtail on your left!" I had both earbuds in and was yelling loudly so I know he had to hear me. I remember I was rocking out to Dan Fogelberg "Leader of the band". My contour was videoing the ride and after I got down to the bridge and had time to stretch, Weir finally made it down. He asked me what line do I take and I told him, "I don't look for lines. I look deep inside myself and just feel the trail". The only tip I gave him was to try my advanced technique of closing your eyes every once in a while. I don't suggest this to everyone but saw that he rides pretty well. He looked at me like I was bat sh&t crazy but then he gave it a go. I think he might have set the KOM for the DH on that run. I was right behind him and only passed him once to just set up the camera to capture it. It was a great day. If you believe any of this story, I have a mythical tree branch on RR would like to show you!
    Yes, I felt a strange breeze and I thought I saw something, but I wasn't sure. It must have been you, faster than a speeding bullet and all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    P-Marsh:

Obviously you flow your whip on the gnar.

Did you pass Weir because you have a dropper post, wide bars, 650 wheels and flat pedals?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast