Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Rockville vs. Skyline (Napa)

These trails are close to one another and I'm wondering about the pros and cons of each. I often ride Rockville and love the terrain and the multiple options and loops that exist. I've never ridden Skyline as Rockville is a little closer from Sacramento and not far off the freeway when coming back from SF.

Which trail do you prefer? Is Skyline an intuitive trail or do you need to ride with someone to find your way around? I really want to try out Skline and want to hear what others have to say about which trail they prefer and why.

Rockville or Skyline or both?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Skyline is a bigger park ,easier to do without backtracking. Both have techy parts. Skyline has much longer ups and downs. The ranger at skyline will give you a map ,easy enough to find your way around.Make sure to check with ranger before going they sometimes close the park if it rains too much.

Lightly salted
    I ride these 2 trails more than any other since I live between them both. I like them both for diffrent reason. Rockville has more technical spots with short ups and downs and many short trails that have to be linked together. Skyline is more of a long uphill with a long downhill. Rockville does much better with rain. Skyline was pretty dried out, but even todays rain will probably have it muddy for this weekend where Rockville will be fine. If you drive to Rockville it's worth an extra 15 minutes to ride Skyline to see for your self. It's not to hard to find your way around and maps are avaliable at the kiosk in the main parking lot. Equestrians are allowed at Skyline so keep that in mind. Not a lot of them, but they are out there. They have always been friendly to me and other bikers I know. You should give Skyline a try.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The names alone describe the goodness of these two places.
    When you do get to Skyline I recommend riding or hike a biking to the top. the views and descent are magnifique- farther and longer than what is offered at Rockville.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Being from Sacramento I had been wondering about Skyline and if it was worth the trip. I ride Rockville and like the techy stuff alot. Skyline sounds great so I will head up there!

Lightly salted
    Post it up when you guys try Skyline and maybe me or another local can guide you around Skyline. I can usually ride 1 or 2 days during the weekdays.

mtbr member

New question here. Online trail map???

Is there one available for Skyline? Thanks.
    Tom

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    Is there one available for Skyline? Thanks.
    Tom
    Try this:

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/imag...kylinepark.pdf

You can pay to park in the main park entrance off Imola, or park right in lot off Streblow in Napa Com College right off Silverado Tr. Ride back out across intersection and go into the park on the River-Ridge Tr.

You'll dump right in on the segment on the leftside of map where it says "Bay Area Ridge Tr". Head right, up Buckeye (somewhat of a grind but s/t), or warm up on the black lined Lake Marie service road up to the lake (a grind aswell...). Choose route from there. either way you go is some more climbing before descending.

Chaparal starts across the dam and loops clockwise high above the lake then drops and meets up with Skyline out past the far end of the lake. The section of B.A.R.T. that continues out to "trails end",Teuters Loop, is closed at the present time to bikes/horses due to wet conditions. You can backtrack to lake Marie on Skyline, and continue on this trail to the upper regions of the park, or veer off onto Buckeye all the way back to where you came in (if on R-R Trail from the college).

Marie Creek/Manzanita will eventually take you back to the main entrance off Imola. Depending on your abilities/endurance you can mix things up with some loops of most of the trails for an epic day if you will.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Thanks, JMac.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    Thanks, JMac.

Welcome. Bitter sweet topic as i am in full view of the area, all day, every day, and bikeless today....

mtbr member

Good job!

Skyline is a great place to ride. If I had to boil it down to one thing I would say Skyline is a little more hardtail and Rockville is more full-suspension. Obviously both work at both places, but I'm painting with a broad brush.

Here's the loop I usually do: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Skyline near Napa | Times and Records | Strava Everything to the right of the lake will probably be closed as per the other thread because of mud. Starting from the parking lot near Napa Valley College and taking the River to Ridge trail is really neat.

Side note, my favorite place to ride is Oat Hill Mine Trail in Calistoga. It's another 30 minutes from Skyline, but well worth it.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivilized View Post
    Side note, my favorite place to ride is Oat Hill Mine Trail in Calistoga. It's another 30 minutes from Skyline, but well worth it.
    May I ask why? Isn't this just a ride up, ride back down ride? Or is there more to it these days?

Edit: And to the OP, listen to JMac-Daddy, park off Streblow to avoid massive park fees. Turn onto Streblow, go down a little and turn left into the gravel parking lot with the big outhouse. There're picnic benches there, too (and bbq grills) for after-ride fun.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 02-21-2013 at 05:56 AM.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

NedwannaB
    Wait, who's your Daddy?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post

Edit: And to the OP, listen to JMac-Daddy, park off Streblow to avoid massive park fees.
    "Massive" park fees? I think we need to keep in mind that those fees pay for the upkeep on a fantastic bike-legal singletrack trail system. To put it in perspective, a car with 4 people has a $5 day-use fee for Skyline. Tamarancho is $5 per person (so $20 for a car of 4), and it has half of the amount of bike-legal singletrack that Skyline does. I don't mean to stand on a soapbox, but $1.25 per person in a car of 4 people does not constitute "massive" fees in my mind, especially when it goes to helping these trails stay open and well maintained.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've ridden both, and in my opinion Rockville is much more fun (for me, anyways). I found Skyline to be a bit steep and technical for my taste. It's great if you want to climb and practice tight turns. Rockville is definitely a smaller park, but has a more varied terrain - there's up, down, and in between .

Both parks are fairly small - so chances of you getting lost in there are pretty slim, and if you just stick to one trail or one direction you're bound to come back to where you started. Never hurts to check out the trail map beforehand though.

If you're willing to drive an extra half hour, why not check out Annadelle? Much much bigger park that is much more fun IMO.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by jerms View Post
    "Massive" park fees? I think we need to keep in mind that those fees pay for the upkeep on a fantastic bike-legal singletrack trail system. To put it in perspective, a car with 4 people has a $5 day-use fee for Skyline. Tamarancho is $5 per person (so $20 for a car of 4), and it has half of the amount of bike-legal singletrack that Skyline does. I don't mean to stand on a soapbox, but $1.25 per person in a car of 4 people does not constitute "massive" fees in my mind, especially when it goes to helping these trails stay open and well maintained.
    FTR, the staging/starting place I mentioned is merely for closer proximity and added trail time only. I am in support of park system fees, as does Mr. FP I believe aswell. Although he does have to economize being that he drives up from the valley.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've only hiked in Skyline, and that was a long time ago. It is only about 45 minutes from my house so might be worth heading up there. When do things dry out so the entire park is open for bikes (I mean horses)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    May I ask why? Isn't this just a ride up, ride back down ride? Or is there more to it these days?
    Yep, you ride up then ride back in the "saddle" towards Aetna Springs for a while and then head back. I love the challenging climb, the great scenery and the downhill. I don't mind that it's split into up and down sections.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    I've only hiked in Skyline, and that was a long time ago. It is only about 45 minutes from my house so might be worth heading up there. When do things dry out so the entire park is open for bikes (I mean horses)?
    Everything's open now except the short(ish) lolly pop Tueters loop section. Rode Friday, and doing some post-rain ride recon today and will report back.

NedwannaB

As promised

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Everything's open now except the short(ish) lolly pop Tueters loop section. Rode Friday, and doing some post-rain ride recon today and will report back.
    Pardone the cliche~, but can you say....."hero" dirt?

Rockville vs. Skyline (Napa)-2-21-wrong-way-buckeye.jpg
    Heading up Buckeye after coming in from Napa Valley Comm College on the River to Ridge Tr. I know, I know, I'm going the wrong way, right?!?! Patience.

Rockville vs. Skyline (Napa)-2-21-hero-dirt.jpg
    Halfway up Buckeye I veered off and ripped down Bay Leaf to the Lake Marie service road to cross over to catch Marie Creek and continue up to the lake via that route. My shadow approves of the conditions.

Rockville vs. Skyline (Napa)-2-21-marie-crk-dry-crossing.jpg
    Dry creek runoff crossing. Only the first couple lower sections were flowing, minimally at that. Dry shoes at rides end confirmed that.

Rockville vs. Skyline (Napa)-2-21-marie-crk.jpg
    Climbing was a breeze on the Marie Creek sections with plenty of tacky-traction goodness. Dabbless at that. Yup, thaaat's my story...

Rockville vs. Skyline (Napa)-2-21-upr-marie-crk-climb-heading-down-steps.jpg
    Topping out on Upper Marie Creek Tr from Manzanita just before dropping down the step section and up to the lake and Chaparal Tr.

Rockville vs. Skyline (Napa)-2-21-upper-marie-steps-tall.jpg
    Watch your step....dabbless descent here. No blood flow at rides end confirmed this. Climbing line's on the right. It's a mind****. Have not mastered it yet.

Rockville vs. Skyline (Napa)-2-21-start-chaparal-above-lake.jpg
    Out of the leafy abyss and onto Chaparal Tr.

Rockville vs. Skyline (Napa)-2-21-dam-fine-singletrack.jpg
    Now that's a Dam fine singletrack down there, don't you think?

Rockville vs. Skyline (Napa)-2-21-above-switchbacks-desire.jpg
    Above Chaparals "Switchbacks of un-Desire".

Rockville vs. Skyline (Napa)-2-21-tuteur-sign.jpg
    Back into the foilage again and the end of Chaparal at Skyline intersection. Oh I must go see what all the fuss is about then. Onward.

Rockville vs. Skyline (Napa)-2-21-tuteur-stop-point.jpg
    My normal turnaround point after climbing up from the creek to the open meadow before Tuteurs Loop when it's bogged down with muckyness. Gazing ahead I expected to see a quagmire of sloppyness given the deluge from the latest storm....so what's the deal. Looks dry to me from here. My conscious is testing the little voice(s) inside my head. But I obey, the signage, and begin a mid trail 180* straddle flip pivot move. But mid turn something uphill catches my eye....wtf?

Rockville vs. Skyline (Napa)-2-21-pig-fest.jpg
    Holy Pigfest Smorgesboard BatMan! I've seen pig rut carnage before around Lake Sonoma and such, but never this much, up here, in one place. Yes I ride a small frame bike but seriously this swath of rottotilling swine madness is about the size of a football field. Crazy.

Chronicalizing this areas weekend trail conditions for the MTBR masses now officially over, I begin my grin producing pilgrimage and retrace my way back thru the swoopy creekbed trail I had just ascended, passing by the Chaparal t/h and continue on up Skyline Tr around the opposite side of the lake. Pressed for time due to the many photo opps I split off onto Upper Buckeye and began the long flowy retreat down the hill where some more sweet, confidence inducing swoopy grippyness ensued.

Safely back down onto the R-R Trail, I throttled it back abit for some softpedaling enjoyment back to the barn, taking in the hue's of the afternoon sunlight filtering thru the surrounding tree cover, trying out some new lines over the many features that are usually passed over in Strava haste while heading to/back from the park.

Hope this has rekindled some interest in those of you that have been away, and create some intrigue to those of you who are curious but have never been riding here.

Get some!
    Last edited by JMac47; 02-27-2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the nice write up and great photos of Skyline conditions Jmac.
    Your shadow/thumbs up pic says so much about our sport - and the conditions up there. Great conditions must be holding up well all 'round the Bay this week.
    Anyway, thanks for the recon.

It's about showing up.
    Nice
    I don't rattle.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwix View Post
    Thanks for the nice write up and great photos of Skyline conditions Jmac.
    Your shadow/thumbs up pic says so much about our sport - and the conditions up there. Great conditions must be holding up well all 'round the Bay this week.
    Anyway, thanks for the recon.
    Hey, yeah, nice post & write-up, J. I like the shot of your bike glowing in the sun.

Can't believe the uprooted area, jeez!

(Hi, Craig!)
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    JMac,

Great post and thank you! I'm looking forward to checking it out. If I understand correctly, you ride down the stairs and up on the trail to the right, correct?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Correct. That's a humbling section of trail- the hunkin' stair steps and the techy rock S- turns above there. I courted an OTB moment on those steps. It is an intriguing place.
    There are many places to push push the riding edges as is true at Rockville.

Yes, Jmac?

Now I'm craving an Endo pic Finch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast