mtbr member

Rockville, Friday afternoon ride?

I'm planning to go to Rockville after work (shooting for a 3:30PM ride time). That give me roughly 3-4 hours of riding before sun sets. Is that enough time to explore the area? Anyone planning to ride that time and day willing to give me a tour? Thanks.

Finally stateside again
    man i would love to ride with you i ride rockville at least once a week. the shitty thing is we are having a huge exercise on base this week and i am in charge of my squadron for this thing. if you ever wanna ride though message me on this thing my hours are pretty open to ride most of the time. what kind of bike you on i may have seen you out on the trails before if you ride there often

Lightly salted
    3-4 hours is plenty to ride rockville. it's small but is a maze of trails. You can put together a good 12-15 miles route no problem. A guide is good if you havn't been there so you don't miss the good stuff. Im not free friday or I would go. Heres a link to a map, it's not super accurate and is missing some trails but it's a start.

City of Fairfield, CA - Rockville Trail Map

mtbr member

... and if we just ... I may be....

able to make it. I will check the "family calendar" for the afternoon and post up as soon as i know .

Tom

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response and map, guys.

I haven't been there so it's all a mystery to me. I'd like to see the most technical sections for sure. I'm bringing my Heckler along, hopefully it's not overkill. I don't plan to "armor up" either, just my trusty XC helmet and gloves.

Hope to see some of you tomorrow... if not, I'm sure there'd be someone there willing to show me the good stuff. =)

Sweat is just fat crying.
    So, how did this go? I wanted to make it, but wasn't feeling so hot.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Wasn't able to make it...

How was it???

I have Fridays off and try and head out for at least a short ride.

I'll post up next time I am headed out that way.

mtbr member
    Funny you guys should mention hot because it was dang hot that day and I chose the wrong day to wear a thick black cotton shirt, thick DH shorts and long cotton socks. Then I brought my Heckler in Demo mode (set up with coil spring, half clip/half flat pedals).

I really like the trail, but it wasn' what I expected. When my friend describe the riding, he said "technical." I assumed it was going to be technical DH and there were some of that, but I soon discovered that it also meant climbing. I found myself getting jammed in certain sections of the Unknown trail because I wasn't ready to power-pedal up rocks in the middle of the trail, and couldn't decide if I wanted to be clipped in or in flats (my pedals don't release very well at all and I fell sideways a few times because I was stuck, and I hardly ever used the flat side of my pedals because they just feel wrong). I'm sure it's a prettty good flow once I know when to get ready for those obstacles (and maybe be just on flats) the next time.

I met a couple of guys along the way. One guy was nice enough to take me to the lake side and point out areas of interest. He did claim that it was really hard to get lost since it's a little park... but I did. Lol! Another guy offered to show me around as I was fumbling to get back to familiar terrain down Unknown/Vortex. That guy was a hammerhead and I had a difficult time keeping up. I'm sure I ruined his ride but he was totally cool about it. =)

Anyway, cool trail and a good experience.

Lightly salted
    PM me next time you go to Rockville. If im free I can show you around. I can ride most any weekday, mornings or evenings are best. Rockville is pretty much made up of short ups and short downs and it really does help to ride with a regular. There are some nice sections that can be hard to find on your own.

Finally stateside again
    man thats a bummer. rockville rules. you need to go with someone who knows the park well because lots of sections of trial are best ridden in a certain direction. next time you go hit me up. i ride the place at least once a week and know the place well.

mtbr member
    Thanks, guys!

Don't get me wrong, I had a good time. Tony, the guy who led me around, was a totally cool guy and waited for me several times. He was on a hardtail but he rode it like he stole it.. lol!

Again, I just had a different set of expectations. My ideal ride would be the "delayed gratification" types, meaning do all the pedaling now but be rewarded with a nice sweet flow (even more ideal are shuttles, but I know how you Norcal peeps feel about that.. lol!). Rockville felt more like flow-pedal-flow-pedal-flow. And again, nothing wrong with that... I just needed to be ready for it. Lastly, it is pretty evident that anyone who cleans that trail (especially Unknown) has to be very strong AND skilled. It's an awesome training ground.

I'll post up the next time I go there. It is a sweet trail... you guys are fortunate to call that your backyard.

mtbr member
    I heard they are going to expand Rockville park to to the land accross the road from the existing park? Any details?
    Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?...Hell no!

Finally stateside again
    Quote Originally Posted by SMD1966 View Post
    I heard they are going to expand Rockville park to to the land accross the road from the existing park? Any details?
    yep they sure are. the will be building a six mile loop and a trail that connect to skyline park in napa. thats all i know of right now but if you want more infer check out solanolandtrust.org

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Thread and info....

Awesome news about Rockville park

Quote Originally Posted by SMD1966 View Post

Finally stateside again
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    thanks for posting he link. if anyone is up for a ride i will be at the park sunday morning