I'm a doctor too

Road trip ideas?

We are thinking about doing a road trip towards the end of March for 6 days. Starting from Pacifica… what would you suggest?

We did Sedona last year, so we'd preferably explore something new. I was thinking Bootleg Canyon > St. George > Moab but apparently March is too early for The Whole Enchilada, as some parts are still under the snow.

Another idea was Oregon but apparently it's too early there too.

We went to SoCal several times in the past, so unless you can recommend something better than Mt. Wilson or Noble Canyon, I'm not positive it is the right direction.

Any other ideas? Thanks! 👍

fc
    mtbr founder Administrator
    Moab, Moab, Moab. There is nothing like it. I went there 10 years ago and it was meh. But now, it is a whole different ballgame. They built the trails and infrastructure to make it awesome now.

Don't worry about the Whole Enchilada. Half or 3/4 will blow you away.

The trifecta is

Mag 7, Ahab, UPS/LPS Porcupine (3/4 enchilada)

fc
    Last edited by fc; 02-28-2017 at 02:20 PM.
    IPA will save America

Your Best Friend
    I'm partial but the St George/Hurricane are is AWESOME!
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Moab, Moab, Moab. There is nothing like it. I went there 10 years ago and it was meh. But now, it is a whole different ballgame. They built the trails and infrastructure to make it awesome now.

Don't worry about the Whole Enchilada. Half or 3/4 will blow you away.

The trifecta is

Mag 7, Ahab, UPS/LPS Porcupine (3/4 enchilada)

fc
    Rockstacker/Jackson off Amasa Back for extra credit.

Dirty by Nature
    Jun 2010
    Tough choice.

Gooseberry is about 4.5 hours closer than Moab. And Bootleg is really fun. And you only have 6 days. Hmmm.

VV Good call, BK. The Palm Canyon Epic at that time of the year with wildflowers going off (especially this year) will be, well, epic. You could use Idyllwild as a base camp (Hub Cyclery is the LBS) . It has lots of great rides. Add in Noble Canyon if you've never been.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 03-01-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    Friends don't let friends ride e-"bikes" on dirt.

Nature is not a sidewalk.

mtbr member
    San Juan + Palm Canyon + some other Palm Springs stuff (I think it exists but I'm not sure). I had a buddy with a car so we self-shuttled and I really enjoyed these rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pe8er View Post
    We are thinking about doing a road trip towards the end of March for 6 days. Starting from Pacifica… what would you suggest?

We did Sedona last year, so we'd preferably explore something new. I was thinking Bootleg Canyon > St. George > Moab but apparently March is too early for The Whole Enchilada, as some parts are still under the snow.

Another idea was Oregon but apparently it's too early there too.

We went to SoCal several times in the past, so unless you can recommend something better than Mt. Wilson or Noble Canyon, I'm not positive it is the right direction.

I did Hurricane in a 3 day weekend. Unfortunately, it rained, but we still rode great trails. I haven't done Moab, so I'm not useful for a comparison. The OTE bike shop is great for trail recommendations. They have a Saturday morning shop ride that you should jump on if you can.

You can ride outside Vegas on the way to or from, which we did because of the rain.

I'm a doctor too
    Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like Utah it is! We may skip Bootleg Canyon in order to spend more time in Moab.

fc
    Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like Utah it is! We may skip Bootleg Canyon in order to spend more time in Moab.
    Skip Bootleg. I go there every year for Interbike and it has no redeeming qualities for me whatsover other than shards of rock.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    don't forget to spend a day or two in Fruita/GJ while you're there.

fc

San Juan Trail and Palm Canyon epic are a bit isolated and they are not better (or as good) than Noble Canyon IMHO. Noble Canyon is pretty darn good. And Mt. Wilson looks good too.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    don't forget to spend a day or two in Fruita/GJ while you're there.
    YEAH. When we leaving Pe8er and Flip?

One thing to note is Moab and the area is way better than Sedona now I think. There's just no extended descents in Sedona longer than 3 minutes.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would not worry about missing The Whole Enchilada.... I have not ridden it -- I'm sure it's great -- but there is plenty of other great riding in Moab; more than enough to justify a road trip.

However, I haven't been to the other Utah riding spots, so I don't know how they compare.

One tip for Moab is that while Slickrock Trail is fun and somewhat unique, I don't know if it warrants spending enough time to ride the whole loop; maybe just doing the short loop near the parking lot is best. Just depends on what you like to ride I guess.

MarkyMark
    I did a St George/Hurricane and Moab trip last year. There's lots of great riding in both locations so you can't go wrong. You'll have a great time!

I'm tentatively planning to go to the Hurricane Bike Festival later this month (fingers crossed the weather holds out).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    End of march is tricky with weather. Have a back up plan. Moab could be ideal or it could be snowing even at low elevations. Been a few times, one trip was in late april. the day we arrived it snowed in town, the next few days were perfect. Probably an anomaly but, we all know weather does its thing.