Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Fight Club

(slight return)

RIP Fight Club

Is there any such thing as fight club any more? We've had unofficial rules of keeping certain topics out of this forum (which I used to be a big supporter of), but given the rise of some other websites, (ahem, cough, cough, you know what I'm talking about) it seems kind of pointless.

Personally I was holding the torch until last November. Then I logged onto one of those sites and found that 165 people had ridden one of my favorite trails. At that point I figured if you can't beat them then join them. Sometimes I think it's really fun, but other times I think the sh!t's going to hit the fan some day and we're all going to lose.

So, is Fight Club dead? Is there any point anymore? Is there any way back? How do you get 165 (now 330+) people to change their minds? Is it just up here in the North Bay that the game is over or is it the same everywhere?

-slide

bicycle rider
    Civil disobedience. Don't ride the back of the bus.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    IMO, a lot of people log and post things that relate to this for either a. to be a part of the "cool kids" or b. to obtain some sort of psuedo-status about having knowledge about these parts. Foolish of them to think that there won't be a day that LEO and the powers will be able to use this same information to pinch those out of compliance, or gain information about new places people like to hang out. I think if the consensus was to leave no trace both literally and figuratively not only will the areas in question remain pristine, but it will draw less attention to them. I do think, however, that many individuals do not understand the consequences socially (in terms of access and public opinion) and monetarily that over exposure can cause, the admission price is pretty high when the toll collector comes a calling... just my thoughts on the topic.
    Last edited by markj2k4; 04-12-2012 at 10:38 PM.

formerly uncle mama
    Jan 2011
    I'm still down with fight club! People are going to do what they want, and so will I. I share info with people I think are worthy; it's my choice. That being said, anyone got some new trails for me to ride

mtbr member
    I honestly don't think it will change much, which is a good thing for most of us. I just wish that certain service provided more privacy options to hide such things... :/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post
    I'm still down with fight club! People are going to do what they want, and so will I. I share info with people I think are worthy; it's my choice. That being said, anyone got some new trails for me to ride
    The point joe shmoe can find all of your fight club trails online now, hence no more fight club. Do you remember Before S*****?

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    I honestly don't think it will change much, which is a good thing for most of us. I just wish that certain service provided more privacy options to hide such things... :/
    For the most part I think you're right but I think there will be a handful of closures due to past history and increased exposure which is a bummer.

Increased privacy - yes! Don't get why that hasn't been done yet. If and when it is, wonder how it will be applied to everything that's already out there.

-slide

Uncle
    Maybe someday folks will leave their devices at home, or is that just wishful thinking? You'd have do some carbon14 dating on the mud on my bikes to know where I've been. Just sayin'.
    Great prices - some sweet vintage stuff: http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...product=101010

roadie
    rule #1.

mtbr member
    Said website should really go through and pull the segments of all the super obvious illegal trails......I tried flagging them for a while but it was pointless. Marginal trails and social trails......not a huge deal to me, but having ever single hiking trail on Tam segmented with the # of people that have ridden.......just asking for trouble.

it's not about riding with GPS its about creating trail segments based on illegal trails, which is bad enough. Using the trails real name is really makes no sense!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Quote Originally Posted by modbog View Post
    rule #1.
    +1...

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon View Post
    Is there any such thing as fight club any more? We've had unofficial rules of keeping certain topics out of this forum (which I used to be a big supporter of), but given the rise of some other websites, (ahem, cough, cough, you know what I'm talking about) it seems kind of pointless.

Personally I was holding the torch until last November. Then I logged onto one of those sites and found that 165 people had ridden one of my favorite trails. At that point I figured if you can't beat them then join them. Sometimes I think it's really fun, but other times I think the sh!t's going to hit the fan some day and we're all going to lose.

So, is Fight Club dead? Is there any point anymore? Is there any way back? How do you get 165 (now 330+) people to change their minds? Is it just up here in the North Bay that the game is over or is it the same everywhere?

-slide
    I'll be KOM'ing Fight Club manana and brappability quotient is gunna be HIGH!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Paper or plastic?
    Who does not want to brag about being DH KOM of Mt Tam single tracks?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

NedwannaB

Yeah I do...

Do you remember Before S*****?
    It's called BS!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

aka baycat
    I have always wanted to clean Fight Club riding uphill, but I dab to quickly.

formerly uncle mama
    Jan 2011
    The point joe shmoe can find all of your fight club trails online now, hence no more fight club. Do you remember Before S*****?
    Yeah, your right! I don't use strava or a computer. My racing days are past, I'm just trail riding at my pace. Some days it's fast and some it's painfully slow. I would hate to see some of the trails I've been riding for years get destroyed.

As far as trails on Tam go, game on! Those have a

formerly uncle mama
    Jan 2011
    oops!

Tam trails have always been high risk; there is no chance of getting them shut down. Yes, I have logged many miles there over the years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I imagine your Fight Club was on the die the first time you posted about it.

Loose lips sink ships.

Who does not want to brag about being DH KOM of Mt Tam single tracks? Me, for one.

mtbr member
    seriously, I can't believe the lack of discretion on S. it's dead simple to make your ride private but apparently there are plenty of people out there who don't know that or choose not to. I was flagging segments for awhile but it's hard to keep up and starts to feel pretty pointless, the segments still show up, just no results. S needs a function for users to completely remove segments that relate to nonsanctioned trails (currently, only users that create a segment can edit/delete it).

NedwannaB

Clarify

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    seriously, I can't believe the lack of discretion on S. it's dead simple to make your ride private but apparently there are plenty of people out there who don't know that or choose not to. I was flagging segments for awhile but it's hard to keep up and starts to feel pretty pointless, the segments still show up, just no results. S needs a function for users to completely remove segments that relate to nonsanctioned trails (currently, only users that create a segment can edit/delete it).
    You do mean to edit the segments out from your own ride, not go in and delete from another poster, correct? If so, do you really want that function being used on your routes?

And how is S***** suppose to know what trails are legit or not?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    You do mean to edit the segments out from your own ride, not go in and delete from another poster, correct? If so, do you really want that function being used on your routes?

I don't expect S to know whether a trail is legit or not, that is why I think other users should be able to delete segments that they did not create if they are unsanctioned. The community needs to police itself.

mtbr member

They could use those crazy paper things with all the lines on them....they were what people used to get directions before GPS devices arrived...can't remember what they're called.

Are we trying to protect Strava's identity now?

NedwannaB

Still foggy

I don't expect S to know whether a trail is legit or not, that is why I think other users should be able to delete segments that they did not create if they are unsanctioned. The community needs to police itself.
    If the "segment" shows up on someones ride, does that not mean they were on it? Serious question as I'm not really S/gps/tracks literate.

Crazed Country Rebel
    If the "segment" shows up on someones ride, does that not mean they were on it? Serious question as I'm not really S/gps/tracks literate.
    It usally does, but if two trails are close together, S will sometimes get confused.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

NedwannaB

Got it

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    It usally does, but if two trails are close together, S will sometimes get confused.
    Thanks ihb. Actually I was just talking about that/similar situation with ride buddy during last nights "legal" trail meandering. He did a ride recently and a KOM popped up for him on some random trail he was on near a highschool, but only showed riden once and him as sole person doing it. Weird. Only thing I could think of is may be it's been segmented by a "runner" or some other type user?

NedwannaB

You mock...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    They could use those crazy paper things with all the lines on them....they were what people used to get directions before GPS devices arrived...can't remember what they're called.

Are we trying to protect Strava's identity now?
    D'oh! We're not talking "directions". That would fall under gps routes in the "adventure cycling" forum. Geesch....

And no, someone else started the covert labeling of *****a. I'm just trying to follow the club rules.

Let's change direction here. Anyone get a KOM in the sack recently??

mtbr member
    IMO the 'explore' section of strava could cause problems...I think you should only be able to see segments in explore that you have personally ridden (or maybe people you are following have ridden).

NedwannaB

Still faulty

Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    IMO the 'explore' section of strava could cause problems...I think you should only be able to see segments in explore that you have personally ridden (or maybe people you are following have ridden).
    Do you only follow people that ride "sanctioned" trails? Do you un-follow if you see thay are venturing off outside the lines of conformity?

mtbr member
    Do you only follow people that ride "sanctioned" trails? Do you un-follow if you see thay are venturing off outside the lines of conformity?
    what? no...

screamer

power in numbers?

Maybe there's a silver lining to all this, that increased traffic all of a sudden is a way of mainstreaming these areas and making it clear that it's not just the activity of some "rogue elements" (or pick whatever alarmist tag The Other Side might use in a MarinIJ rant). I know it's risky -- and I'm not sure I buy the argument myself, just thinking aloud -- but it might be time for a new strategy. At a certain size, our constituency won't be as easy to ignore by those pesky elected officials, and this is a way of making those numbers evident.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    D'oh! We're not talking "directions". That would fall under gps routes in the "adventure cycling" forum. Geesch....

And no, someone else started the covert labeling of *****a. I'm just trying to follow the club rules.

I think RedNova has 2/3 of the KOMs in CC locked down?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    If you are worried about people discovering illegal segments via the 'explore' feature, just flag the segments and have them removed.

mtbr member

What I'm saying is that every "legal" trail in the state is clearly mapped by its land manager and made available for all to see. The team at Strava can build a really useful app but they can't read a map?

The irony of people freely outing social trails but then feeling the need to protect a company's identity is humorous to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    The irony of people freely outing social trails but then feeling the need to protect a company's identity is humorous to me.
    I dont think anyone involved in this conversation is freely outing social trails (I think we are concerned about those that do) and I took it as an attempt to avoid even more obvious references to "go here if you want to find illegal trails," not about 'protecting' the company from anything...

NedwannaB

Yeah that Limeys fast!

I think RedNova has 2/3 of the KOMs in CC locked down?!
    And don't forget his Repack runs!

Paper or plastic?
    It is matter of time before strava is used against us.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I dont think anyone involved in this conversation is freely outing social trails (I think we are concerned about those that do) and I took it as an attempt to avoid even more obvious references to "go here if you want to find illegal trails," not about 'protecting' the company from anything...
    You're right. My logic was flawed. I'd guess that 99% of the people on this forum are pretty conscientious and do the right thing more often than not so most of these discussions are just keyboard masturbation.

I did find it weird that people were editing out the company's name all of a sudden. I was worried it was a mod thing for a second.

Silence! I kill you!
    You should just rename all the illegal trails to "Fight Club". That would confuse both riders and those wanting to destroy said trails that don't exist
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

I like mtn biking, too
    If one cares about the rules of fight club, then one must be more vigilant about flagging segments for removal, and that requires that one knows what applies and what doesn't. Some people are just noobs, or just following someone else and are clueless and/or careless. I wonder if people know they can make a ride private?
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by modbog View Post
    rule #1.
    Rule #1.

I'd rather other people not talk about it. Even if they are, I'm still not.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

(slight return)
    Flagging is the exact opposite of what it should be. The leaderboard goes away but the trail is still discoverable.

So, anyone try to get strava to change? I've heard that people mention this in the forums but that nothing's been done. Here's a proposal:

1) Allow segments to be marked private
    2) Private segments don't show up in segment explorer
    3) People can only see private segment leaderboards if they've ridden the trail
    4) Private segments don't show up in your profile except to your followers

[edit: one more]
    5) If 5 or more people request it a segment becomes private.

Anyone have any pull with Strava? How can we make it happen?

-slide

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by urban turban View Post
    If you are worried about people discovering illegal segments via the 'explore' feature, just flag the segments and have them removed.
    Except they still show up in the explore function- only the rider stats/leaderboard gets deleted. The person who created the segment has to delete it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon View Post
    Flagging is the exact opposite of what it should be. The leaderboard goes away but the trail is still discoverable.

So, anyone try to get strava to change? I've heard that people mention this in the forums but that nothing's been done. Here's a proposal:

1) Allow segments to be marked private
    2) Private segments don't show up in segment explorer
    3) People can only see private segment leaderboards if they've ridden the trail
    4) Private segments don't show up in your profile except to your followers

[edit: one more]
    5) If 5 or more people request it a segment becomes private.

Anyone have any pull with Strava? How can we make it happen?

-slide
    I think we should start yet another thread griping about this on their support forum, but we need to show that more than just a few of us are concerned about this.

YESBRO!!!
    Dude! Wh|y are you even talking about fight club???

EDIT: Also, why the hell do I only have 9 rep power??

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Only an idiot would use GPS on "certain trails" and post it anywhere. Ride with yourself, your friends, and leave some friends out of some rides if they are not respectful. You are not "more cool" if you need to prove what you ride. Just ride. Only on legal trails like we all do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz View Post
    Dude! Wh|y are you even talking about fight club???

EDIT: Also, why the hell do I only have 9 rep power??
    Fight Club does not exist anymore for 9 out of 10 trails?!?!?!?!

(below is just an example)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RIP Fight Club-fightclub.jpg  

aka baycat
    Fight Club does not exist anymore for 9 out of 10 trails?!?!?!?!

(below is just an example)

Ohh! You missed a good one between those two fight club soap bars in that one area.

roadie

Paper or plastic?
    Strava is one issue and Youtube is another. Google Mt Tam mountain biking for entertainment...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg View Post
    Strava is one issue and Youtube is another. Google Mt Tam mountain biking for entertainment...
    I agree, but how many people can find their way to a trail because of a video? Does a video contain damning stats like 500+ people have ridden XYZ trail in the last 3 months? Does youtube provide the exaction locations of the trail? BS, it used to be pretty fun to do recon and find a trail without the help of the interwebz. Now all you need dto do is check explore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast