Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RIP Fight Club

(slight return)

RIP Fight Club

Is there any such thing as fight club any more? We've had unofficial rules of keeping certain topics out of this forum (which I used to be a big supporter of), but given the rise of some other websites, (ahem, cough, cough, you know what I'm talking about) it seems kind of pointless.

Personally I was holding the torch until last November. Then I logged onto one of those sites and found that 165 people had ridden one of my favorite trails. At that point I figured if you can't beat them then join them. Sometimes I think it's really fun, but other times I think the sh!t's going to hit the fan some day and we're all going to lose.

So, is Fight Club dead? Is there any point anymore? Is there any way back? How do you get 165 (now 330+) people to change their minds? Is it just up here in the North Bay that the game is over or is it the same everywhere?

-slide

bicycle rider
    Civil disobedience. Don't ride the back of the bus.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    IMO, a lot of people log and post things that relate to this for either a. to be a part of the "cool kids" or b. to obtain some sort of psuedo-status about having knowledge about these parts. Foolish of them to think that there won't be a day that LEO and the powers will be able to use this same information to pinch those out of compliance, or gain information about new places people like to hang out. I think if the consensus was to leave no trace both literally and figuratively not only will the areas in question remain pristine, but it will draw less attention to them. I do think, however, that many individuals do not understand the consequences socially (in terms of access and public opinion) and monetarily that over exposure can cause, the admission price is pretty high when the toll collector comes a calling... just my thoughts on the topic.
    Last edited by markj2k4; 04-12-2012 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm still down with fight club! People are going to do what they want, and so will I. I share info with people I think are worthy; it's my choice. That being said, anyone got some new trails for me to ride

mtbr member
    I honestly don't think it will change much, which is a good thing for most of us. I just wish that certain service provided more privacy options to hide such things... :/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post
    I'm still down with fight club! People are going to do what they want, and so will I. I share info with people I think are worthy; it's my choice. That being said, anyone got some new trails for me to ride
    The point joe shmoe can find all of your fight club trails online now, hence no more fight club. Do you remember Before S*****?

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    I honestly don't think it will change much, which is a good thing for most of us. I just wish that certain service provided more privacy options to hide such things... :/
    For the most part I think you're right but I think there will be a handful of closures due to past history and increased exposure which is a bummer.

Increased privacy - yes! Don't get why that hasn't been done yet. If and when it is, wonder how it will be applied to everything that's already out there.

-slide

Uncle
    Maybe someday folks will leave their devices at home, or is that just wishful thinking? You'd have do some carbon14 dating on the mud on my bikes to know where I've been. Just sayin'.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

roadie
    rule #1.

mtbr member
    Said website should really go through and pull the segments of all the super obvious illegal trails......I tried flagging them for a while but it was pointless. Marginal trails and social trails......not a huge deal to me, but having ever single hiking trail on Tam segmented with the # of people that have ridden.......just asking for trouble.

it's not about riding with GPS its about creating trail segments based on illegal trails, which is bad enough. Using the trails real name is really makes no sense!
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Quote Originally Posted by modbog View Post
    rule #1.
    +1...

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon View Post
    Is there any such thing as fight club any more? We've had unofficial rules of keeping certain topics out of this forum (which I used to be a big supporter of), but given the rise of some other websites, (ahem, cough, cough, you know what I'm talking about) it seems kind of pointless.

Personally I was holding the torch until last November. Then I logged onto one of those sites and found that 165 people had ridden one of my favorite trails. At that point I figured if you can't beat them then join them. Sometimes I think it's really fun, but other times I think the sh!t's going to hit the fan some day and we're all going to lose.

So, is Fight Club dead? Is there any point anymore? Is there any way back? How do you get 165 (now 330+) people to change their minds? Is it just up here in the North Bay that the game is over or is it the same everywhere?

-slide
    I'll be KOM'ing Fight Club manana and brappability quotient is gunna be HIGH!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Paper or plastic?
    Who does not want to brag about being DH KOM of Mt Tam single tracks?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

NedwannaB

Yeah I do...

Do you remember Before S*****?
    It's called BS!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

aka baycat
    I have always wanted to clean Fight Club riding uphill, but I dab to quickly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The point joe shmoe can find all of your fight club trails online now, hence no more fight club. Do you remember Before S*****?
    Yeah, your right! I don't use strava or a computer. My racing days are past, I'm just trail riding at my pace. Some days it's fast and some it's painfully slow. I would hate to see some of the trails I've been riding for years get destroyed.

As far as trails on Tam go, game on! Those have a

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    oops!

Tam trails have always been high risk; there is no chance of getting them shut down. Yes, I have logged many miles there over the years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I imagine your Fight Club was on the die the first time you posted about it.

Loose lips sink ships.

Who does not want to brag about being DH KOM of Mt Tam single tracks? Me, for one.

mtbr member
    seriously, I can't believe the lack of discretion on S. it's dead simple to make your ride private but apparently there are plenty of people out there who don't know that or choose not to. I was flagging segments for awhile but it's hard to keep up and starts to feel pretty pointless, the segments still show up, just no results. S needs a function for users to completely remove segments that relate to nonsanctioned trails (currently, only users that create a segment can edit/delete it).

NedwannaB

Clarify

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    seriously, I can't believe the lack of discretion on S. it's dead simple to make your ride private but apparently there are plenty of people out there who don't know that or choose not to. I was flagging segments for awhile but it's hard to keep up and starts to feel pretty pointless, the segments still show up, just no results. S needs a function for users to completely remove segments that relate to nonsanctioned trails (currently, only users that create a segment can edit/delete it).
    You do mean to edit the segments out from your own ride, not go in and delete from another poster, correct? If so, do you really want that function being used on your routes?

And how is S***** suppose to know what trails are legit or not?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    You do mean to edit the segments out from your own ride, not go in and delete from another poster, correct? If so, do you really want that function being used on your routes?

I don't expect S to know whether a trail is legit or not, that is why I think other users should be able to delete segments that they did not create if they are unsanctioned. The community needs to police itself.

mtbr member

They could use those crazy paper things with all the lines on them....they were what people used to get directions before GPS devices arrived...can't remember what they're called.

Are we trying to protect Strava's identity now?

NedwannaB

Still foggy

Quote Originally Posted by hardboiled View Post
    I don't expect S to know whether a trail is legit or not, that is why I think other users should be able to delete segments that they did not create if they are unsanctioned. The community needs to police itself.
    If the "segment" shows up on someones ride, does that not mean they were on it? Serious question as I'm not really S/gps/tracks literate.

Crazed Country Rebel
    If the "segment" shows up on someones ride, does that not mean they were on it? Serious question as I'm not really S/gps/tracks literate.
    It usally does, but if two trails are close together, S will sometimes get confused.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

NedwannaB

Got it

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    It usally does, but if two trails are close together, S will sometimes get confused.
    Thanks ihb. Actually I was just talking about that/similar situation with ride buddy during last nights "legal" trail meandering. He did a ride recently and a KOM popped up for him on some random trail he was on near a highschool, but only showed riden once and him as sole person doing it. Weird. Only thing I could think of is may be it's been segmented by a "runner" or some other type user?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast