Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RIP Fight Club

7K views 75 replies 34 participants last post by  squashyo 
#1 ·
Is there any such thing as fight club any more? We've had unofficial rules of keeping certain topics out of this forum (which I used to be a big supporter of), but given the rise of some other websites, (ahem, cough, cough, you know what I'm talking about) it seems kind of pointless.

Personally I was holding the torch until last November. Then I logged onto one of those sites and found that 165 people had ridden one of my favorite trails. At that point I figured if you can't beat them then join them. Sometimes I think it's really fun, but other times I think the sh!t's going to hit the fan some day and we're all going to lose.

So, is Fight Club dead? Is there any point anymore? Is there any way back? How do you get 165 (now 330+) people to change their minds? Is it just up here in the North Bay that the game is over or is it the same everywhere?

-slide

#45 ·
Only an idiot would use GPS on "certain trails" and post it anywhere. Ride with yourself, your friends, and leave some friends out of some rides if they are not respectful. You are not "more cool" if you need to prove what you ride. Just ride. Only on legal trails like we all do.

#3 · (Edited)
IMO, a lot of people log and post things that relate to this for either a. to be a part of the "cool kids" or b. to obtain some sort of psuedo-status about having knowledge about these parts. Foolish of them to think that there won't be a day that LEO and the powers will be able to use this same information to pinch those out of compliance, or gain information about new places people like to hang out. I think if the consensus was to leave no trace both literally and figuratively not only will the areas in question remain pristine, but it will draw less attention to them. I do think, however, that many individuals do not understand the consequences socially (in terms of access and public opinion) and monetarily that over exposure can cause, the admission price is pretty high when the toll collector comes a calling... just my thoughts on the topic.

G
#4 ·
I'm still down with fight club! People are going to do what they want, and so will I. I share info with people I think are worthy; it's my choice. That being said, anyone got some new trails for me to ride :D

#7 ·
For the most part I think you're right but I think there will be a handful of closures due to past history and increased exposure which is a bummer.

Increased privacy - yes! Don't get why that hasn't been done yet. If and when it is, wonder how it will be applied to everything that's already out there.

-slide

#10 ·
Said website should really go through and pull the segments of all the super obvious illegal trails......I tried flagging them for a while but it was pointless. Marginal trails and social trails......not a huge deal to me, but having ever single hiking trail on Tam segmented with the # of people that have ridden.......just asking for trouble.

it's not about riding with GPS its about creating trail segments based on illegal trails, which is bad enough. Using the trails real name is really makes no sense!

#12 ·
Is there any such thing as fight club any more? We've had unofficial rules of keeping certain topics out of this forum (which I used to be a big supporter of), but given the rise of some other websites, (ahem, cough, cough, you know what I'm talking about) it seems kind of pointless.

Personally I was holding the torch until last November. Then I logged onto one of those sites and found that 165 people had ridden one of my favorite trails. At that point I figured if you can't beat them then join them. Sometimes I think it's really fun, but other times I think the sh!t's going to hit the fan some day and we're all going to lose.

So, is Fight Club dead? Is there any point anymore? Is there any way back? How do you get 165 (now 330+) people to change their minds? Is it just up here in the North Bay that the game is over or is it the same everywhere?

-slide
I'll be KOM'ing Fight Club manana and brappability quotient is gunna be HIGH!

#19 ·
seriously, I can't believe the lack of discretion on S. it's dead simple to make your ride private but apparently there are plenty of people out there who don't know that or choose not to. I was flagging segments for awhile but it's hard to keep up and starts to feel pretty pointless, the segments still show up, just no results. S needs a function for users to completely remove segments that relate to nonsanctioned trails (currently, only users that create a segment can edit/delete it).

#20 ·
Clarify

You do mean to edit the segments out from your own ride, not go in and delete from another poster, correct? If so, do you really want that function being used on your routes?:nono:

And how is S***** suppose to know what trails are legit or not?:skep:

#30 ·
power in numbers?

Maybe there's a silver lining to all this, that increased traffic all of a sudden is a way of mainstreaming these areas and making it clear that it's not just the activity of some "rogue elements" (or pick whatever alarmist tag The Other Side might use in a MarinIJ rant). I know it's risky -- and I'm not sure I buy the argument myself, just thinking aloud -- but it might be time for a new strategy. At a certain size, our constituency won't be as easy to ignore by those pesky elected officials, and this is a way of making those numbers evident.

#39 ·
If one cares about the rules of fight club, then one must be more vigilant about flagging segments for removal, and that requires that one knows what applies and what doesn't. Some people are just noobs, or just following someone else and are clueless and/or careless. I wonder if people know they can make a ride private?

#41 ·
Flagging is the exact opposite of what it should be. The leaderboard goes away but the trail is still discoverable.

So, anyone try to get strava to change? I've heard that people mention this in the forums but that nothing's been done. Here's a proposal:

1) Allow segments to be marked private
2) Private segments don't show up in segment explorer
3) People can only see private segment leaderboards if they've ridden the trail
4) Private segments don't show up in your profile except to your followers

[edit: one more]
5) If 5 or more people request it a segment becomes private.

Anyone have any pull with Strava? How can we make it happen?

-slide

#50 ·
I agree, but how many people can find their way to a trail because of a video? Does a video contain damning stats like 500+ people have ridden XYZ trail in the last 3 months? Does youtube provide the exaction locations of the trail? BS, it used to be pretty fun to do recon and find a trail without the help of the interwebz. Now all you need dto do is check explore.

#51 ·
Slide- First, don't i see you all over S*****?
- Second, you can email strava and get them to remove segments, talk to Elle, she did it for a certain trial on the coast side of tam containing all numbers in the name ;). You used to be able to email support@strava but it looks like they have a new system.
I have emailed strava and suggested the idea of having private trails or group private trails, i think others should do the same.
Strava is barely aware of the issues with mountain bike segments, they are mainly concerned with segments on private property and not aware of the issues of illegal trail segments.
I happened to run into a strava employee out on a ride after emailing them and further mentioned this issue to them, they are working on it supposedly.

Finally- I'm coming for the rest of the CC KOM's as soon as i get my new Nomad built up. Good thing none of you know who i am on S****. Your never going to see it coming, muahaahahahaahahaa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.