Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Fight Club

mtbr member
    Slide- First, don't i see you all over S*****?
    - Second, you can email strava and get them to remove segments, talk to Elle, she did it for a certain trial on the coast side of tam containing all numbers in the name . You used to be able to email support@strava but it looks like they have a new system.
    I have emailed strava and suggested the idea of having private trails or group private trails, i think others should do the same.
    Strava is barely aware of the issues with mountain bike segments, they are mainly concerned with segments on private property and not aware of the issues of illegal trail segments.
    I happened to run into a strava employee out on a ride after emailing them and further mentioned this issue to them, they are working on it supposedly.

Finally- I'm coming for the rest of the CC KOM's as soon as i get my new Nomad built up. Good thing none of you know who i am on S****. Your never going to see it coming, muahaahahahaahahaa

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What's fight club?

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Tam Haze View Post
    - Second, you can email strava and get them to remove segments, talk to Elle, she did it for a certain trial on the coast side of tam containing all numbers in the name . You used to be able to email support@strava but it looks like they have a new system.
    I have emailed strava and suggested the idea of having private trails or group private trails, i think others should do the same.
    Strava is barely aware of the issues with mountain bike segments, they are mainly concerned with segments on private property and not aware of the issues of illegal trail segments.
    I happened to run into a strava employee out on a ride after emailing them and further mentioned this issue to them, they are working on it supposedly.

Finally- I'm coming for the rest of the CC KOM's as soon as i get my new Nomad built up. Good thing none of you know who i am on S****. Your never going to see it coming, muahaahahahaahahaa
    Yeah, I gave in and became part of the problem but having second thoughts. If you had anything to do with the removal of that trail then kudos - you never saw me on that one, that was too much even for a lemming like myself.

-slide

Paper or plastic?
    No doubt. One plus the other: problems waiting to happen. Oh well.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

NedwannaB

Whoah...wait just a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Haus Boss View Post
    Fight Club does not exist anymore for 9 out of 10 trails?!?!?!?!

(below is just an example)
    Can I have that gps link?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Quote Originally Posted by Elacrosse7 View Post
    What's fight club?
    RULE #1 MAN.
    Banned for showing Boobies.

mtb'er
    I dunno... my beer might be empty, but my glass is half full. Maybe if "the authorities" see that these no-bike trails are ridden a ton and there are zero injuries and deaths, they'll come to grips that mt. biking ought not be banned from said trails.

Also, show me where gps tracks lead to action from authorities.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Tam Haze View Post

I asked Elle to delete that trail. Her response seemed to indicate there was at least some concern at the company about stuff like this. For what it's worth, I found her to be very helpful in this regard. Best not to put them up in the first place though, let alone make segments out of them.

roadie
    rule #2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Slightly OT but can anyone tell me how to create a segment? There is a legal trail that runs close to another that has been created. The problem is when I look on the Strava map it doesn't come up. I can see it on the official trail map from the park. Thoughts??

roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Slightly OT but can anyone tell me how to create a segment? There is a legal trail that runs close to another that has been created. The problem is when I look on the Strava map it doesn't come up. I can see it on the official trail map from the park. Thoughts??
    visually:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XbQk77r4QLY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

but you should also read the following:

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2...ating-segments

On Bicycles, and.... what else is there?: Strava segment creation tips

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

roadie
    the UI changed a little since that video was posted, but it should give you a general idea. this one is a little more up to date on what the interface actually looks like:

mtbr member
    Solution: Go build some sweet kick ass trails and don't tell anyone. Other than me of course.
    I'm not sure how this works.

(slight return)
    Strava has a feature request area:

https://strava.zendesk.com/forums/20...ature-requests

So I posted a request for private group segments (segments that aren't in segment explorer and only show up if you've ridden the trail) My request never showed up. I asked them about it and they review all requests before posting them for the public, but I didn't get the sense that it was going to show up. I'd suggest that other people post there as well, the more people request it the more likely they are to add a feature like this. Here's what I posted:

Strava needs segments that aren't visible to the population at large and don't show up in the segment explorer. Suppose I have a trail on my sprawling 1000 acre ranch that me and my buddies race on. We want to keep the leaderboard, but not have people finding it on strava and coming and riding on my property without an invitation. Here's how this could work.

1) Allow segments to be marked private/hidden (different from the current definiton of private segments...)
    2) private/hidden segments don't show up in segment explorer
    3) People can only see private/hidden segment leaderboards if they've ridden the trail
    4) private/hidden segments don't show up in your profile except to your followers
    5) If 5 or more people request it a segment becomes private/hidden.

Thanks for your consideration!

Post up here if your request gets posted for public comment so others can chime in.

Thanks
    slide

mtbr member
    Done- this will be like the 4th time I've requested this. I told them I'm hopping ship if a similar product comes out with these functions.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I, for one, do appreciate publicly shared GPS trails. I usually ride alone, due to time constraints and most of my friends having different interests, and I had no means to get that information previously. I did not grew up in the area.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon View Post
    5) If 5 or more people request it a segment becomes private/hidden.
    First thing I will do is opening 5 accounts and hiding the whole damn everything.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz View Post
    Dude! Wh|y are you even talking about fight club???

EDIT: Also, why the hell do I only have 9 rep power??
    now you have 10.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    now you have 10.
    Hmmmm. Hey, how come I only have 11.

-slide

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    I dunno... my beer might be empty, but my glass is half full. Maybe if "the authorities" see that these no-bike trails are ridden a ton and there are zero injuries and deaths, they'll come to grips that mt. biking ought not be banned from said trails.....
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    Maybe there's a silver lining to all this, that increased traffic all of a sudden is a way of mainstreaming these areas and making it clear that it's not just the activity of some "rogue elements" (or pick whatever alarmist tag The Other Side might use in a MarinIJ rant). I know it's risky -- and I'm not sure I buy the argument myself, just thinking aloud -- but it might be time for a new strategy. At a certain size, our constituency won't be as easy to ignore by those pesky elected officials, and this is a way of making those numbers evident.
    it works that way sometimes.

there's a state park where i ride that is in the process of officially opening 'undocumented' trails that have been ridden regularly for over 15 years.

Rangers are coming to realize that there is virtually zero trail conflict, most users a good stewards, we keep the riff-raff out....and we are enjoying the outdoors....which is generally a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by slide mon View Post
    Hmmmm. Hey, how come I only have 11.

-slide

you're closer to 12 now

(slight return)

Adios Strava

Until strava does something about it I'm out. I took down all my tracks. I didn't have many KOM's, but I had some second and thirds and top 10's that I was pretty psyched about and it hurt a little to take those down. But screw it, it never felt right and there's indirect evidence that a couple trails were logged in response to an increase of activity on those trails on strava. That's enough for me.

Thinking I might upload tracks for a day or so post ride so I can still share with friends but mark them private after that so there's no history. Compromise.

slide

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    what? no...
    Only once in 20-plus years of riding did someone refuse to hit the contraband. "There's a reason the sign's there," he said.

Then again, he was also worried about being arrested as an accessory to pot smoking.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Edit: sorry, didn't realize old thread. Contributed to unwanted revival . . . Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by Procter; 12-14-2012 at 06:44 PM.

mtbr member
    sweet revive...Slide, ur **** has staying power bro.
    I'm not sure how this works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12