Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Riding stealth trails - a simple test

Here is a simple test:

So, you got lucky and found a kick ass new trail that isn't on any map. It's loaded with berms, tricks, jumps...it's made by a straight up mountain biker. Do you:

A) Walk your bike over your shoulder (or off the ground) for the first 30 feet or more of entrance and the last 30 feet or so of the exit
    B) Make sure no one is around before entering and taking a minute to recon the exit to ensure no one is around
    C) Help maintain trail when possible like removing downed trees or fixing jump lip or berm
    D) Tell no one aside from only your most trusted small posse (if that)
    E) Refrain from posting said trail on the internet in a way that makes it obvious
    F) None of the above. Ride in and out so tire tracks are visible for faster closure, hoot and holler so everyone knows you are on it, sanitize the hard parts or roll jumps to round the lips, look cool by telling anyone who might boost your street cred, set up a KOM segment.
    or
    G) All of the above aside from F

Answer: G. word
    Last edited by squashyo; 01-29-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: moved or
    I'm not sure how this works.

mtbr member
    I seem to have run out of scantron sheets! I am also going to need extra time on this test and a special place to take it due to my high anxiety level. Will there be a break in the test so I can stretch and maybe get a snack or two? I am getting stressed out jut thinking about being tested and the possibility of failure. OMG! I am FREAKING out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Pretty easy test, you give the answers at the end, hell yeah.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    I seem to have run out of scantron sheets! I am also going to need extra time on this test and a special place to take it due to my high anxiety level. Will there be a break in the test so I can stretch and maybe get a snack or two? I am getting stressed out jut thinking about being tested and the possibility of failure. OMG! I am FREAKING out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Paul, I am sorry but I am going to have to ask you to leave. This test is for the underbelly of society.

Paper or plastic?
    New strava segment and then share it on MTBR

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

dude with orange car
    The question is moot as no such trails exist.

If such trails did exist, I would have no knowledge of them as I only ride on approved fire roads at 15mph or less, and get off my bike and cower at the edge of the trail if I am within a mile of a hiker, jogger, or equestrian.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Paper or plastic?
    Actually, there is another choice:
    - quickly report new trail to authorities for eradication as those well designed narrow fun trails usually create erosion, unsafe speeds, did not go through a CEQA review, and generally generate mayhem and may lead to the end of the world as we know it.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010

And the answer is:

H. (G - F) + Beer

(to ply Squashyo for the goods)
    Last edited by dirtvert; 01-30-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by Plim View Post

If such trails did exist, I would have no knowledge of them as I only ride on approved fire roads at 15mph or less, and get off my bike and cower at the edge of the trail if I am within a mile of a hiker, jogger, or equestrian.
    We have our winnah!
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    I'm sorry... I dont know how to read.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

Fat Skis/Fat Tires

ask
    user
    LOL! "roll jumps to round the lips... set up a KOM segment" Nice.

If only such trails existed...

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Don't forget to "tone down" the features so you can ride them if they are above your skill level.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Could you pm me as to where i could take this test?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    boast/post on pinkbike, youtube video gopro contour ridemonkey facebook twitter instagram (insert ecommunity here)
    have online fights when people tell/ask/demand you to take it down, because "everyone knows about them" and "it's not your land"

(slight return)
    Time for another trip south, checking calender...

-slide

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

CHUM would wait until he saw a hiker, jogger, or equestrian and intensionally (he'd claim) throw himself at the ground.

This message requested by ancient rascal.

Elitest thrill junkie
    D) Tell no one aside from only your most trusted small posse (if that)
    Haha, and then your trusted small posse tells their trusted small posse, and before you know it, everyone knows about the trail. There's no such thing as "secret trails", except when the builder tells NO ONE else. Of course, if that was reality, then no one would ever ride the trails, except for what was randomly found, which would still revert back to "only tell your trusted friends", which will tell their trusted friends, which will tell their trusted friends, and so on.

It's idealistic and unrealistic and hypocritical. I'm not saying "tell everyone", but don't have unrealistic expectations.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Haha, and then your trusted small posse tells their trusted small posse, and before you know it, everyone knows about the trail. There's no such thing as "secret trails", except when the builder tells NO ONE else. Of course, if that was reality, then no one would ever ride the trails, except for what was randomly found, which would still revert back to "only tell your trusted friends", which will tell their trusted friends, which will tell their trusted friends, and so on.

It's idealistic and unrealistic and hypocritical. I'm not saying "tell everyone", but don't have unrealistic expectations.
    Not so sure about that (but I reckon does apply in many cases). My various groups have earned my trust and have kept stealth trails secret for years and years and beyond. They also are hungry to pitch in and help enhance the trails with trail builders permission. I think my biggest pet peeve is riding in and out where appropriate...many don't get this concept.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squashyo View Post
    I think my biggest pet peeve is riding in and out where appropriate...many don't get this concept.
    Yep eventually people get lazy, especially on the out, then it's just a matter of time as people start hiking up to find out the start.

Always being on the lookout for such trails, I've found 3 in the last couple month's, have to say it's impressive the amount of work some folks are putting into them.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Not so sure about that (but I reckon does apply in many cases). My various groups have earned my trust and have kept stealth trails secret for years and years and beyond. They also are hungry to pitch in and help enhance the trails with trail builders permission. I think my biggest pet peeve is riding in and out where appropriate...many don't get this concept.
    I always wonder if the entrance/exit to secret trails is as obvious to those who don't know as those who do. I guess it depends what people are focused on.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Junior flyer
    Jun 2010
    ^^ To paraphrase Sylvia Plath: Poaching is an art, like everything else.

(I do it exceptionally well)
    Why?

Because we like the taste of freedom; because we like the smell of danger. ~ E. Abbey

Elitest thrill junkie
    Not so sure about that (but I reckon does apply in many cases). My various groups have earned my trust and have kept stealth trails secret for years and years and beyond.
    Really? So none of your trails have ever been found? No one has ridden them except for people you know?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Really? So none of your trails have ever been found? No one has ridden them except for people you know?
    yessir

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast