mtbr member

Riding with dogs off leash in Marin

I'm moving to San Rafael from SF. I ride GGP all the time with my dog off leash. Does anyone know of anyplace in marin that you can ride with dogs of leash.
    Last edited by sfgiantsfan; 11-29-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Can't help, you, but that's one happy looking dog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You can't do much of anything like that with Open Space and MMWD looking over your back.. Just noticed a new sign at bottom of Deer Park Fire Road in Fairfax stating that they are stepping up enforcement of dogs off leash, not to mention the disdain for Mt bikers on top of having a dog off leash.. Maybe some city park areas, but be careful!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Go to Open Space

Marin County Open Space policy allows you to ride with dogs off leash on all fire roads as long as they are under voice command. Loma Alta and Whites Hill are personal favorites.
    Woof!

WWYD?
    Agree with the comments here. I keep my dog on leash until I'm a good half hour hiking time from any trail head. Most of the walkers don't go as far as a bike will.

One thing to keep in mind when you're riding with a dog; your dog is usually trotting along or running and this excites most other dogs on the trail so you have to be ready for that. With a leash I can pull my dog back behind my bike and I use the front wheel as a blocker. My dog, Eddie will bite back when a dog runs up onto him and sticks it nose in his azz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding with dogs off leash in Marin-eddiertockgarden.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    did not know that about open space... The area of Deer Park where I saw that sign is right when it changes to MMWD and it was a singletrack trail..