Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rider Heli-vac out of Clementine, Auburn SRA

I just saw on the news they pulled a downed rider out of "Upper Clementine" in Auburn SRA. Does anyone know where he was? The video, and it saying "Upper Clementine" makes me think it was actually Connector.

CAUGHT ON CAMERA: CHP helicopter crew rescues hurt mountain biker

mtbr member
    May 2014
    It was Connector at the bridge crossing. I came upon them and Cal Fire had me stop around the corner. Watched them airlift the guy out. The helicopter pilot and the winch controller did a great job. took the rider up to the road for ambulance ride. glad to hear he will be fine.

C'dale Rush Lefty
    Jun 2004
    If the rider has high deductible insurance he just got nailed for the copter and the ER. If he has low deductible insurance then all of us are paying for this rescue. Amazing that a few decades ago we didn't need all this expense to get rescued or treated. The health care industry has figured out how to game the system and we're getting screwed. BTW, not my opinion, there is a bunch of research that supports this conclusion.

Jim

mtbr member

Re: Rider Heli-vac out of Clementine, Auburn SRA

The fire man industry.

sent remotely

mtbr member
    Glad to hear he's ok. I rode that section on Sunday.

Anyone know if he went completely off trail or did he simply go into a tree/rock on the trail and get hurt enough to call 911?

I always keep my cell in a pocket and not on the bike or camelbak for just this reason- with my luck I'd bounce one way and the bike & camelbak another.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Wow, very scary. I hope Michael heals quickly. Strange, unexpected things can happen on any ride.
    --
    Check out the Bear Yuba Land Trust trails program
    http://www.bylt.org/index.php/trails/

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Cal Fire personnel said he crashed at the bridge. I arrived as they were moving him on the back board to a spot for the helicopter lift. his bike was on its side on the east side of the bridge but looked like it had been moved to that spot.

Dropshot Champ!
    scary.

but better than dead. buddy was climbing clementine monday when they saw a body just floating down in the water below the bridge. assuming it was a jumper, they called the police and had to give an interviiew. but perhaps there's a bike floating around? lets hope not.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    If the rider has high deductible insurance he just got nailed for the copter and the ER. If he has low deductible insurance then all of us are paying for this rescue. Amazing that a few decades ago we didn't need all this expense to get rescued or treated. The health care industry has figured out how to game the system and we're getting screwed. BTW, not my opinion, there is a bunch of research that supports this conclusion.

Jim
    That's why something like Cal Star or Flightcare rescue insurance is worth having with a sport like MTB.

Membership | Affordable Coverage for Air Medical Services | CALSTAR

Flightcare Membership Program - Enloe Medical Center

mtbr member

Jim
    This seems like an unnecessary comment. I can't quite figure out what your agenda is by making it. Anti Obama-care? Pro Calstar? Implication that the rescue with the heli was unnecessary and they should have walked him out?

Hope the rider is ok!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    That's why something like Cal Star or Flightcare rescue insurance is worth having with a sport like MTB.

Membership | Affordable Coverage for Air Medical Services | CALSTAR

Flightcare Membership Program - Enloe Medical Center
    I fully agree, but in this case it wouldn't have helped since the CHP helicopter was used. That said, based on the experience Ronski talks about in this thread, he probably won't be charged for the lift to the ambulance.

mtbr member
    I wonder what happened. The only thing I could think of is coming down too fast from the FHDL side and having too much speed at that little tree right before the bridge. But as someone else said there are so many things that can go wrong. I know a buddy that had his tire break it's seal on a ridiculously easy section that caused him to go over the bars and break his clavicle. I would imagine he must have been injured pretty bad if he felt the urge to call 911. Hopefully he recovers quickly.

Type A
    Was the injury dire? I'm not understanding why a helicopter would be used unless it was life threatening. I can't think of any part of the connector that isn't a short distance to an access road.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Years ago, I was riding a trail in Grass Valley that I had ridden at least 50 times before. A bit technical, but I had always cleaned it with zero problems.

That one summer day, my front tire slipped sideways on a soft dusty section and before I could even get my hand out to brace myself, my head slammed hard into the ground, shattering my helmet.

I was OK, but it was a good reminder that you never know what might happen when you start out the door for a ride.
    --
    Check out the Bear Yuba Land Trust trails program
    http://www.bylt.org/index.php/trails/

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    Was the injury dire? I'm not understanding why a helicopter would be used unless it was life threatening. I can't think of any part of the connector that isn't a short distance to an access road.
    Manpower, time, risk. If the rider was over the side and needed to be carried back up to the trail trough steep loose rocky terrain its a low angle rescue with ropes. Why? the last thing you want is to have a rescuer stumble then they lose control of the patient and litter which goes sliding down the hill into who knows what. That means set up a rope rescue system then, 4 guys on the litter, 4 guys on the haul line, one guy on the main brake and one guy on the safety line brake at a minimum. Now once you get them up you need to walk them out. Figure well over 2 hours to get this done. Helo with a lift. four guys triage patient, strap them to a backboard load him in a sling bag then connect that to the helo cable and it flies him quickly to a paramedic ambulance maybe 30 minutes total and only one engine company instead of 3.
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    "Manpower, time, risk." Agreed. We fly through there but it's a bit of a hike to get down to the bridge & with some steep sections (either way).

I saw Calfire personnel out there Sunday morning putting out a small fire along Connector (near fuel break) and they had full gear on. It would be quite an effort to get down there and hike out with an injured person.

Btw, I just signed up for the Calstar coverage. $50/year for the family and helicopter costs are covered. "Just in case."

Type A
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    Manpower, time, risk. If the rider was over the side and needed to be carried back up to the trail trough steep loose rocky terrain its a low angle rescue with ropes. Why? the last thing you want is to have a rescuer stumble then they lose control of the patient and litter which goes sliding down the hill into who knows what. That means set up a rope rescue system then, 4 guys on the litter, 4 guys on the haul line, one guy on the main brake and one guy on the safety line brake at a minimum. Now once you get them up you need to walk them out. Figure well over 2 hours to get this done. Helo with a lift. four guys triage patient, strap them to a backboard load him in a sling bag then connect that to the helo cable and it flies him quickly to a paramedic ambulance maybe 30 minutes total and only one engine company instead of 3.
    If this situation did occur, wouldn't the rescuers have the same risk and required manpower since they would have to scramble down to initiate the rescue in the first place? Years ago, I had to help litter my girlfriend out from a trail in Appalachia. It was a lot more remote than anything on the connector and her injury was pretty bad, double leg fracture. Unless life-threatening, it just seems a little over kill. Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Cut View Post
    I'll buy into that logic as long it means staffing reductions, resource reductions, and lower wages due to reduction of risk. Careful with your explanations, you never know how they will be received.

mtbr member
    So since CHP pulled this guy out is there a huge cost for the individual? Does the CalStar cover any helicopter? $50 a year for the family doesn't sound too bad.

mtbr member
    Most of the details are in the thread I linked to in my last post.

Life flight memberships

Don't take my description of the coverage as indisputable. Policies change every year. Also make sure to scroll down and read Ronski's post about his experiences as a firefighter/EMT. Provides some good insight.

Sweater

Jim
    How does his deductible affect who pays? Did you mean high or low benefit?
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel Mot View Post
    I'll buy into that logic as long it means staffing reductions, resource reductions, and lower wages due to reduction of risk. Careful with your explanations, you never know how they will be received.

no it means you commit one engine company to the rescue instead of 3-4 which means the rest of the service area does not go without their normal coverage or require mutual aid from another department.

Think about it, currently we have a drought and high fire danger, we have a finite number of engine and personnel to go around. If you have 16 fire fighters and 4 engines committed to a rescue and anything else happens someone is going to have a longer response time which could me the difference is surviving a heart attack, or stopping a fire when its small instead of letting it grow.

The CHP helo was going to be in the air on patrol anyways. I would venture in this case the only charge the ride is going to get is a bill from AMR Ambulance and the Hospital. Your tax dollars paid for the public entities.
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

Resident Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Overhillthruthewoods View Post
    If this situation did occur, wouldn't the rescuers have the same risk and required manpower since they would have to scramble down to initiate the rescue in the first place? Years ago, I had to help litter my girlfriend out from a trail in Appalachia. It was a lot more remote than anything on the connector and her injury was pretty bad, double leg fracture. Unless life-threatening, it just seems a little over kill. Just my opinion.

no you go down in a harness on a rope system to minimize the risk to the rescuers...

I did this job for 10 years with the Santa Cruz County Fire Dept. I don't remember a single incident of a Fire Fighter getting hurt. We follow our standard operating procedures doing low angle rescue for a reason.

mtbr member
    Being a rescuer on the CHP winch is way more fun. Trust me.

mtbr member

Probably Anit Obama Care

Quote Originally Posted by Fleezus View Post
    This seems like an unnecessary comment. I can't quite figure out what your agenda is by making it. Anti Obama-care? Pro Calstar? Implication that the rescue with the heli was unnecessary and they should have walked him out?

Hope the rider is ok!
    you can tell by his tone that he is one of those right wing tea bagger types...good thing you were here to put a stop to that ... Fleezus.

on the other hand he does ride a c dale with a "lefty". I guess you never know
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast